• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Crawley Town 2-6 Southend Utd

Jesus!!! I haven’t said he had a hand in any of his goals!!!

Read what I’ve said!! Him being on the pitch allows cox to play a different role and over the course of a game Theo’s work rate and movement MAY allow cox the freedom to work in different areas and do more productive things as opposed to Cox doing the work Theo normally does!!!

Given that Cox is arguably our most talented / experienced / valuable player then I would argue getting the best out of him is pretty important?
Cox not being stuck up front by himself with the ball being hoofed at his head for service allows us to get the best out of him. Theo isn’t neccessary to get the best out of Cox, having someone else up there definitely helps but playing the ball on the floor is the most important thing if we want the best from Cox. McCoulsky came on last night, put in plenty of effort (which has been lacking in some of his appearances) and showed determination to win the ball, perhaps indicating he is ready to put the work in and take his chance. I’d like to see him given a chance to do this from the start as he can give Cox that freedom as well as having a bit more about him with the ball at his feet than Theo.

Theo is so poor the defenders can ignore him and focus their attention on Cox. He can run all he wants but he can't hit the proverbial barn door.

You spent all night sneering on the Match thread, including calling for CP’s P 45..... Any chance you might move on in the January window..... Probably for the best.

Theo is so poor the defenders can ignore him and focus their attention on Cox. He can run all he wants but he can't hit the proverbial barn door.

That must be the Theo who has scored only twenty less career goals than Cox and is two years younger. Some people see what they want to see.

Interestingly, Theo has a better goals per games ratio at Southend, than Ollie Palmer did at Lincoln in the same period last season and in a lower division.

Have I read this right? Most agree COX is better served in a 2 up top? It is a choice between Theo and McClosky so what are the virtues of each? I appreciate Sean is a better finisher BUT I also think that Theo does the runs, work, link, nuisance stuff better AND that gives him, for me the first 60 minutes of most games. Neither are the striking partner Coxy wants or needs and for that we must hope for a speedy and successful recovery by Hoppy OR a shrewd transfer window.
Whoever plays needs support not slagging.

Cox not being stuck up front by himself with the ball being hoofed at his head for service allows us to get the best out of him. Theo isn’t neccessary to get the best out of Cox, having someone else up there definitely helps but playing the ball on the floor is the most important thing if we want the best from Cox. McCoulsky came on last night, put in plenty of effort (which has been lacking in some of his appearances) and showed determination to win the ball, perhaps indicating he is ready to put the work in and take his chance. I’d like to see him given a chance to do this from the start as he can give Cox that freedom as well as having a bit more about him with the ball at his feet than Theo.

Yeah fair points and I wouldn’t necessarily disagree with any of that.....

Personally I’d like to see us play a more patient game and use technical ability which would undoubtedly be beneficial to players like Cox / Kightly / McCloughen not to mention the younger players we have waiting in the wings.....

But that takes time and effort to improve at and more importantly it take patience and confidence.....neither of which are particularly evident in most football fans and from what I read I don’t think SUFC fans are any different.....

Let’s be honest would you trust a technical based expansive game plan with talented but maybe young fragile players if you were CP and your fans started a “Have you lost fan in CP” thread in October????

Players feed off confidence but so do managers / coaches and believe me when results are going for you feel invincible and that you can try anything and succeed.....a couple of losses alter and you’re gripped by fear of mistakes justclike players are and often revert to safe options and percentages.....

We are all guilty. We all have our opinions and we all have favorites and we all have players we can’t stand or don’t rate......

But, we also have to understand that by doing that our actions always have a reaction.....whether it’s Kightly who is 32 and played in the Prem losing confidence or Elvis who is 19 and just starting out misplacing a pass yo the line and hearing 2000 people groan....or Mr Powell knowing that a poor performance and a 1-0 loss Saturday despite the best prep possible will mean some quarters who have only ever watched football from the stands, questioning his tactical knowledge!!

Another interesting point from last night's game was the advantage or disadvantage of playing two wingers, in this case Macca and Bunn. They both seemed to have the beating of the full backs marking them, this was one of the reasons for the victory. Getting the better of two average Division 2 full backs is one thing but they are very often much less effective in Division 1 games, which can result in us getting overun in in the centre of midfield. IMO we seem to be better suited to the 3 5 2 wing back system.

I'm not looking a gift horse and all that, because White's finish was top drawer, but he and Moore were poor as defenders.
Both have seen better nights, but Crawley's two goals? It's like we have to concede or it's not sporting enough.
Even so, I prefer the pair to Turner, although none of the central defenders instil me with confidence, and that includes the injured.

Why is it ridiculous to suggest that Theo didn’t have a hand in Cox’s 2 goals last night? Cox made the space for himself for the first goal and the build up involved the defence playing the ball out to Dieng who played the ball to Bunn who did well to get a cross in for Cox who made an excellent run into the box to get on the end of it. Can you please point out to me the magical influence that Theo had for this goal?

The build up for the first goal involved Dieng winning the ball high up the pitch.

I'm not looking a gift horse and all that, because White's finish was top drawer, but he and Moore were poor as defenders.
Both have seen better nights, but Crawley's two goals? It's like we have to concede or it's not sporting enough.
Even so, I prefer the pair to Turner, although none of the central defenders instil me with confidence, and that includes the injured.

I think your mate agrees which is why, to the surprise of most, he signed two central defenders over the summer. Not many saw that coming as they didn't see it as a need. Unfortunately Lennon is injured but Lennon and Moore is now looking our best combination. Admittedly the stat that they haven't conceded a goal when playing together would look a lot more impressive if they'd managed more than 18 minutes!

I had to call it a night on 90 minutes because I needed to be up early. I ignored the first notification on my phone in fear it was 3-2 to Crawley and after the second I had to looking hoping it was 3-3. But I was pleasantly surprised and slept so easily I was out before our 5th goal.

Cox - sounded like he could've had a hat-trick before full-time and having seen the finish he was lucky to get one really. A few deflections and it eventually made it across the line, if only we could get him a little more ruthless in front of goal.

Robinson - sounded like he had a few chances too.

Kyprianou - how did he play? Big opportunity for him. He could very likely get half a season under his belt here.

Bunn - when signed him I said it was a shame there seemingly wasn't a view to make permanent. Sadly the better he does the higher the price will go. It would've been nice to have something agreed while his stock was low.

McLaughlin - said this last time he scored, hopefully this can be a turning point for him! Looked like a great finish though.

Overall, as nice as it was to score six goals, especially as Hopper is sidelined I would've preferred we see out! Very disappointed.

Last edited:
Robinson does create space for others, very useful for the likes of Cox and Bunn. The majority of fans don't see this though, they just see the poor misses. He's having a hard time but to be fair to him he never hides. He does need to keep putting in the hard yards. Once one goes in, more will follow.
I’m sorry to say the only space Robinson usefully creates for others is when Powell eventually gets round to hauling him off.
I saw quite a few non -league strikers in FA Cup games last week and many of them kept reminding me of Theo as they failed to control the ball,chased after it and when successful blazed it nowhere near the goal.
McCoulsky isn’t Hopper but he does sometimes win the ball in the air and he can finish.

Anyone know if those away supporters figures are correct? I was told we had sold around 350 tickets yesterday morning.

There was over 100 in the seats and certainly more than 200 behind the goal
From the other end of the ground, we estimated around 500 of you lot, so you are right to question that figure.
We also felt the crowd was closer to 4K too.All very odd.
Anyway, it’s sll irrelevant now.Well played(particularly in extra time, best wishes against Barnsley.Sincerely hope you have a good run and bank a few quid.
We could have done with the money but we just weren’t good enough in the end.

Cox got 2 not 1- goal cam for first shows it was Cox not the defender you deflected in I think. Good finish in fact.

Is that Robinson running in behind and setting up a great chance for Cox? Thought he did nothing all game and wasted every attack we had judging by the previous comments. :Smile:

Is that Robinson running in behind and setting up a great chance for Cox? Thought he did nothing all game and wasted every attack we had judging by the previous comments. :Smile:

One thing in 120 minutes isn't great let's face it LOL

That first goal is all about Theo.

Goes to close down the option the defender was going to head it to; the defender then changes his mind plays a loose clearance that their midfielder couldn't quite control, allowing Dieng to nip in and counter-attack and catch them too far forward. Theo then comes short, drawing out the 6 for Bunn to run in behind and it's crossed in to where the centre-half would be but Robinson has him out of position and Cox profits.

You (not you specifically Chapperz) may think him a donkey, but we don't score that goal without him doing the donkey work.

That game summed up being a Southend fan. Every emotion experienced in 120 mins. Solid first half and deserved 2-0 lead, could have been 4 up before the mini collapse and awful second half, followed by an incredible extra times. We never do things easy.

Regarding the team, for me Cox, Macca, Bunn and Hyam stood out, Macca defo mom. The crowd figures were bizarre. Crawley twitter suggested it was a near sell out for home fans and we were told prior to kick off that we had sold in excess of 450 tickets. I was in the seats that were well populated and my son behind the goal which looked around 300 plus.

Anyway a good night in the end, but, if only we had scored the third goal a few minutes earlier! Lol

SOUTHEND United striker Simon Cox insists scoring goals is the perfect way to quicken his recovery from illness.

More...

Back