• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
I think it is broadly accepted that Crawley are already paying wages more than most (if not all) teams in League 2 on average gates of just over 2500.

How does the League 2 salary cap work with regards to this? Will they be able to continue doing the same next season? I think the percentage next season goes down to 55% of income, but what income is taken into account?

Something doesn't sit right with me about that club, maybe it's something to do with Steve Evans, who is a proven nasty piece of work and convicted criminal - have a read of this article to remind yourselves of what went on when he was at Boston:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/league-two/3040461/Seedy-truth-that-lies-behind-the-shaming-of-a-football-club.html

They're definitely getting around it somehow. I doubt Josh Simpson went there as their top wage earner and seeing as us and other league clubs supposedly couldn't compete with the wages Crawley offered him their wage bill has to be higher than their income.

To be fair, I think if they have a rich benefactor who is willing to bankroll them personally, and injects money into the business as capital rather than lending, then they should be allowed to do that. But there seems to be a huge amount of mystery about exactly what is happening at that Club.

I note that the whole of the football league has agreed to bring in wage caps, with League One's coming in from 12/13. That doesn't fit in with Robbie C's plans at Colchester to 'limit' football expenditure to 100% of income.

They're definitely getting around it somehow. I doubt Josh Simpson went there as their top wage earner and seeing as us and other league clubs supposedly couldn't compete with the wages Crawley offered him their wage bill has to be higher than their income.

To be fair, I think if they have a rich benefactor who is willing to bankroll them personally, and injects money into the business as capital rather than lending, then they should be allowed to do that. But there seems to be a huge amount of mystery about exactly what is happening at that Club.

I note that the whole of the football league has agreed to bring in wage caps, with League One's coming in from 12/13. That doesn't fit in with Robbie C's plans at Colchester to 'limit' football expenditure to 100% of income.

But that's not Robbies intention at all - he's simply saying that the playing budget will equate to the incomce from league/attendance and diminishing subsidy from him.

We have other income from use of facilities on non-match days and revenue from corporate/sponsorshing money. It's this money that pays for running costs of stadium, non football staff etc etc.

I know that's what he means. But my point is that from the season after this coming one the League are putting in a wage cap. Say that is 60% of turnover. Wages will make up the vast majority of your footballing expenditure so presumably you're going to have to operate on a far lower wage budget than that which your Owner had planned.

Robbie Cowling is a decent example of the sort of person who this ruling is now going to be making it more difficult to invest in football to any significant degree, and yet he's a model Chairman in many ways. The League and UEFA should welcome wealthy people investing money into their industry. It's other chairmen who run up huge debts with no way of paying them who the focus should be on stopping.

Lets not get sidetracked into the goings on at Cloud Cuckooland Farm, just how will Creepy get round this issue as their figures simply won't add up, both ourselves and Gillingham have baulked at the amount of wages they are lobbing at players (Simpson/Thomas) and we're 2 of the bigger clubs at this level

**** 'em. Let them keep spending beyond their means.

They will get found out at some point and suitably punished via a points deduction, embargo and/or fines.

Or perhaps they will go pop. :thumbsup:

This has got the feeling of Rushden & Diamonds all over again.

Got to be cash in hand floating about

I've just seen the following in Charles Sale's Sports Agenda Column.

The Football League are examining paperwork from newcomers Crawley Town needed to pass the owners' and directors test. This also requires the club favourites to win promotion to League 1 at the first attempt, to make public on their website anyone holding a stake of more than 10% - which has yet to happen. Mystery surrounds Crawley's anonymous Far East bankrollers to the extent that a shell company based at Gatwick Airport allegedly owns the club.

Back