• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Creating a problem

Shrimp Curry

Youth Team
When we lost Mark Gower in the summer I knew we would struggle to score goals this year. A couple of years ago Gower and Maher created a huge amount of goals to help us to succesive promotions plus Eastwood and Wayne Gray were able to create goals for themselves with their pace and skill. When I look at this current Southend side I see no creativity whatsoever, Mcormack is a tough tackling midfielder who can score the odd goal but is not in the same league as Maher for passing the ball and creating openings, likewise Moussa does not seem to be creative. Scannell and Betsy may prove to be different but only time will tell. Its not a good sign considering we have a group of strikers who all rely on service to score goals, none of them have a turn of pace or the skill to create chances for themselves. Some people may disagree but the fact is we have played four games this season and we have created nothing, the only two goals we have scored are the result of a goal mouth scramble from a corner and the Millwall goalkeeper catching the ball and then dropping it for Revell to put into an empty net. Im not being negative, im being realistic, its looking like being a long season. The days of passing, flowing, creative football which saw us win accolades from many top sides and pundits are well and truly behind us.......

The passing football was still there against Brighton, just the final third was lacking. This was actually the case last year as well even with Gower and masked a bit by the fact our midfielders were the top scorers.

We certainly have a problem with creativity in the midfield and an attacking midfielder is definitely top priority.

As for Gower its early days and Betsy/Scannell may actually turn out to be decent wingers.

i lost track of the original post after it used the word 'skill' in the same sentence as 'Wayne Gray'.

I think it's fair to say that we're going to rely more on decent delivery into the box this season though- something that Betsy and Harding have both shown flashes of so far. Macca isn't a traditional creative midfielder, but does make chances because of his drive and ability to win the ball back high up the pitch.

losing gower was always going to hurt he is a fantastic player even those who used to slate him would probably have him back in a flash now.

God I'd forgotten how much stick MG used to get. If he'd been as appreciated by the fans as much as he should have been, I wonder if we'd have been able to persuade him to see out his playing days with us?

Mcormack is a tough tackling midfielder who can score the odd goal

Is this the same guy who scored as many as Barnard and Gower last season?

I think taking 30 goals out of the team from last season is going to hurt but at least 9 of them are coming back before too long.

Seriously though, we're three league games in to the season. Give them five and then see where we are. After five last season we had 6 points and proceeded to finish in the playoffs.

i lost track of the original post after it used the word 'skill' in the same sentence as 'Wayne Gray'.

I was refering to Wayne Gray and Eastwood as having pace and skill collectively, Eastwood had the skill but no one can doubt Grays pace and workrate, he would walk into our team at the moment, we have nobody who can run the channels and stretch play like he did.

The days of passing, flowing, creative football which saw us win accolades from many top sides and pundits are well and truly behind us.......
I remember when the Times described us as 'the footballing aristocrats of League Two' prior to our play off against Lincoln.

I was refering to Wayne Gray and Eastwood as having pace and skill collectively, Eastwood had the skill but no one can doubt Grays pace and workrate, he would walk into our team at the moment, we have nobody who can run the channels and stretch play like he did.

haha ................

We are missing the Gower of the second half of last season - but the first half of last year he was often poor by his own high standards.
In fact we weren't that good a team for the opening few months in spite of our high position - remember all the discussions about how we couldn't beat a top six team. I think Carlisle away was the only time we beat a side whilst they were in the top six.
The last few months of the season we were a good team but not quite good enough ultimately.
So whilst I'm sorry to lose players of the quality of Gower and Bailey I would rather look forward and see how things work out with the likes of Betsy, Scannell, HRK, Grant, Macca (when he's fit) plus hopefully a creative midfielder to come in by the deadline.

Gray wouldnt get in front of Revell or Walker for me....

I was refering to Wayne Gray and Eastwood as having pace and skill collectively, Eastwood had the skill but no one can doubt Grays pace and workrate, he would walk into our team at the moment,

Bloody hell, if Wayne Gray is walking into the team then I think I'd be walking out of the ground.

Bloody hell, if Wayne Gray is walking into the team then I think I'd be walking out of the ground.

Wayne Gray has got into double figures each of the last three seasons in this division plus he does create for other people. I would be suprised if Revell, Walker or Furlong manage that this year but personally I cant see any of them getting more than 6/7 goals.

Wayne Gray has got into double figures each of the last three seasons in this division plus he does create for other people.

That isn't actually true as he didn't get into double-figures for us in 05/06. And seeing as he's taken pens and played for three sides who have done fairly well in those three seasons that isn't a great stat. I don't remember him creating too much for anyone else other than the odd bit of link-up with Eastwood in any of the few games they played together in which they looked like they were on the same team (not that I'm blaming Wayne for their failings as a partnership).

Wayne Gray brings two things to a side - a good penalty and the ability to run quickly in a straight line. Nice deflected goal against Bristol City though!

Back