• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Credit Crunch tips - every penny helps!

Pubey

Ok, I've just nicked this idea from another forum, but it's pretty useful.

Personally I'm really feeling the pinch, I'm sure there are plenty of tips that people have for saving a few pennies... the one thing I'm really looking for are some useful recipies that are dirt cheap and healthy! My main bargain recipie is rice, sauteed onions, peppers and chilis mixed in with some tinned salmon... tasty, healthy(ish) and super quick and cheap. Basically just cook up some rice, fry up a small chopped onion, soften up some peppers and mix in the rice, chilis and tinned salmon, let it all cook through and serve. Top credit crunch cuisine! Plus i've also started to discover that value stuff in Tescos and Sainos really isn't any worse than their 'normal' stuff... things like value Noodles are just as good as Batchelors Supernoodles, and in Sainos they are 9p each!

viola!

Another useful thing is 'Freecycle', see freecycle.org, it's a website dedicated to recycling things locally. you'll get a daily email with random stuff going free. also useful if getting rid of random junk from your house, i haven't actually used it but some work collegues swear by it

Ok, I've just nicked this idea from another forum, but it's pretty useful.

Personally I'm really feeling the pinch, I'm sure there are plenty of tips that people have for saving a few pennies... the one thing I'm really looking for are some useful recipies that are dirt cheap and healthy! My main bargain recipie is rice, sauteed onions, peppers and chilis mixed in with some tinned salmon... tasty, healthy(ish) and super quick and cheap. Basically just cook up some rice, fry up a small chopped onion, soften up some peppers and mix in the rice, chilis and tinned salmon, let it all cook through and serve. Top credit crunch cuisine! Plus i've also started to discover that value stuff in Tescos and Sainos really isn't any worse than their 'normal' stuff... things like value Noodles are just as good as Batchelors Supernoodles, and in Sainos they are 9p each!

viola!

Another useful thing is 'Freecycle', see freecycle.org, it's a website dedicated to recycling things locally. you'll get a daily email with random stuff going free. also useful if getting rid of random junk from your house, i haven't actually used it but some work collegues swear by it

We have been using this for about the last 18 months, a superb idea and great for getting rid of your toot and picking up some little gems for nothing. To date the best thing we have managed to pick up is this Laptop that i have been using for the last month or so......Mesh Notebook with a Pentium(R) 4 CPU, 3.40Ghz and 2GB RAM

But of course the main advantage of Freecycle is that it avoids all of these item going to land fill.

I recommend everyone signs up to it.

http://www.freecycle.org/

We have been using this for about the last 18 months, a superb idea and great for getting rid of your toot and picking up some little gems for nothing. To date the best thing we have managed to pick up is this Laptop that i have been using for the last month or so......Mesh Notebook with a Pentium(R) 4 CPU, 3.40Ghz and 2GB RAM

But of course the main advantage of Freecycle is that it avoids all of these item going to land fill.

I recommend everyone signs up to it.

http://www.freecycle.org/

exactly... i regularly see TVs, HiFis, computers, beds etc etc all being given away on it. definitely recommend it

exactly... i regularly see TVs, HiFis, computers, beds etc etc all being given away on it. definitely recommend it

Got rid of a Potable TV, a tumble dryer, arm chair and chest freezer....its great, you advertise the item, get e-mails, arrange for uplift and they come take the toot away. Job Done.

Pasta bakes are always quick and easy to make and very filling. With fruit and veg, loose is not ALWAYS cheapest in the supermarkets and proper markets are usually cheaper anyway.

Lidl's & Aldi - quality & fantastic value for money = check it out.

Co-Op 2 for price of one 1.5L Diet Pepsi. Somerfields also have/had same deal.

Pasta bakes are always quick and easy to make and very filling. With fruit and veg, loose is not ALWAYS cheapest in the supermarkets and proper markets are usually cheaper anyway.

We always tend to buy 3 to four pound of mince and i make pots of chilli and a large Sheppard's pie for through out the week, and as you say, always buy your fruit and veg loose.

Make your own pasta as well.....really easy and extremely cheap.

Ocado:

1) Tesco prices for branded stuff;
2) Waitrose unbranded food (which, although more expensive than say sainsburies, is much nicer and cheaper than most branded food);
3) Free delivery if ordered for Saturday early evening;
4) As it is online you don't add more to your trolley than you need;
5) Free copy of the times with your food; and
6) A handy list telling you when everything goes out of date to help your wife plan your dinners

If you like Indian food learn how to cook it. There some initail investment in some of the more obscure spices you will need.

Dishes such as Tarka Dal and Chana Masala are tasty, healthy and dirt cheap.

Ocado:

1) Tesco prices for branded stuff;
2) Waitrose unbranded food (which, although more expensive than say sainsburies, is much nicer and cheaper than most branded food);
3) Free delivery if ordered for Saturday early evening;
4) As it is online you don't add more to your trolley than you need;
5) Free copy of the times with your food; and
6) A handy list telling you when everything goes out of date to help your wife plan your dinners

100% spot on....but if you have to go,then go shopping after eating a large meal!

If you like Indian food learn how to cook it. There some initail investment in some of the more obscure spices you will need.

Dishes such as Tarka Dal and Chana Masala are tasty, healthy and dirt cheap.

And also learn how to make a good chilli You would not believe how many meals i can get out of 2lb of steak mince and 4 tins of toms.

Nothing more easy and tasty on a cold winter night than defrosting a portion controlled container of chilli with some rice of an evening.

If you like Chinese/Thai food get your sauces/dry ingredients from one of the Chinese supermarkets in town.

They are so much better and cheaper then the rubbish you can get in supermarkets.

Take up shoplifting - though don't blame me when you're locked up with Mr Big and he's got an un-ending supply of handcream.

Could you do with £35 a week extra?? give up your daily latte. You'll save a staggering £10 a week. Take a packed lunch to work. You'll save about a fiver a day, and cut down on calories.

Freeze leftover red wine. Put the remaining half-glass in an ice tray, the cubes can be added easily to sauces, and will save opening a bottle for cooking.

Ban the bottle. Drink tap water, if you leave it to stand for half an hour, the slight chlorine taste goes away. You can also flavour it with fresh mint or lemon.

Use up leftovers, the end of a chicken, and all the off-cuts of veg, can be transformed into stock and if you are rigorous when picking flesh of the bones, fish can be turned into a tasty pie.

Sounds obvious but have a look in the reduced section of the supermarket if you go there late in the evening because you can pick up some bargains.

These days the competition is fierce but being 6'3" and 93 kilos I can knock most people out of the way to get that pack of fillet steak for 59p.

Waitrose don't have a reduced area and food items are reduced 'in situ' so keep your eyes peeled for the red stickers.

Back