• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

palexander

Life President
This is mainly for the haters...

But credit the club this week - for the ON field activities.

Yes, theres a lot of problems that we all know about and most love to keep digging up and going over, and over... but the positives of this week could be massive.

1) Firstly, I believe the Port Vale game is probably the best thing that could have happened to us.

It was a sharp shock for the management, players and fans alike. Many of us got carried away and lost sight of the fact that throwing a team of strangers together wasnt going to work immediately. Port Vale were in all honesty, quite superb and I imagine the players and manager realised how much they have to put in to reach that level.

This result led, from what Granty says, to a lot of words spoken as a group - which is absolutely perfect. I bet it was ideal for everyone to air their views and get things out in the open - probably loosened a few of them up and helped with bonding.

2) Wolves game. Following on from the Port Vale fall out, Sturrock decides its time to settle on a side and throws Moshni and Gilbert in, puts Barker CB and pins his flag to Corr and Sturrock jr.

A spirited performance, plenty of chances, good defending, big(ger) atmosphere and most important, 120 minutes together - good for fitness and learning.

All of a sudden, we have a bit of belief, and my word, how far that goes.

3) Bonding Camp. This is where I am going to credit Ron (bear with me... *unzips trousers* thats better etc etc)... would have cost a fortune putting the squad up for 3-4 days, but was worth every penny if last night is anything to go by. Absolutely inspired management too for pushing for it - thats experience, of knowing what works and what doesnt.

I fully expect now the team to be pretty comfortable with each other off the field and starting to settle on it.

So before I nip off and knock one out at the thought of Ron and Sturrock rolling around on a rug in front of a fire (me and Tommy just watching), I'll beg again - please support the team and management, we ARE getting there.

There is very little we can do about the off-field shenanigans. If you feel that strongly, write to the club, start legal proceedings, write to the Echo, throw eggs at Rons house - whatever floats your boat, there are options for you, rather than bringing people down constantly - if it meant that much to you, you would be taking action, rather than sitting behind a keyboard...

Just to play devils advocate here too - and I hope i dont offend the Trust members - I still strongly believe not paying back the £60k is way out of order... but...

Would people rather have had the £60k paid back and no bonding session this week, or as it was, the £60k still outstanding in return for the performance and result of last night?....

Just to play devils advocate here too - and I hope i dont offend the Trust members - I still strongly believe not paying back the £60k is way out of order... but...

Would people rather have had the £60k paid back and no bonding session this week, or as it was, the £60k still outstanding in return for the performance and result of last night?....

It has been paid back- the date on the cheque was yesterday. Let's just hope it clears!!

It has been paid back- the date on the cheque was yesterday. Let's just hope it clears!!

Ah thats good news then!

Just seen it on the Shrimpers Trust site. Think that should be made a sticky on here for a while so people know its been sorted as I wouldnt have known otherwise?

Im sorry PB but the 2 issues are very relevant but not exclusive, yes the team Won well done and im pleased, Ron's mismanagement shouldn't happen again, i will continue to air my views on this subject even if it brings you down.

The mismanagement of the club shouldn't just be brushed under the carpet or not discussed because you don't like it!!! For you its negativity, for a lot of us its very real and something we wont take lightly, I hope the team continue to do well, However i shall continue to press Ron on issues i don't agree on. I wont be told by you or anyone what i can and cant get the hump about. If you don't like it don't read the posts, continue to stick you head in the sand.

Why do you feel that you have to make a point like this? As i have said before is it attention you crave? The people questioning Ron are Southend fans just like you, However to them its not just about the team winning to others it is also how the club operate. You feel you cant do anything about the off the field affairs which is fine, again other feel they can and im sure do.

You seem to think its fine to belittle others views whilst holding the moral high ground, again i think this is pretty poor. Just because your 100% behind everything the club is doing doesn't make you right or give you the right to slate others. As i get older i feel the need to question things i don't agree with, i also don't see obstacles as a reason not to do something.

Last edited:
Im sorry PB but the 2 issues are very relevant but not exclusive, yes the team Won well done and im pleased, Ron's mismanagement shouldn't happen again, i will continue to air my views on this subject even if it brings you down.

The mismanagement of the club shouldn't just be brushed under the carpet or not discussed because you don't like it!!! For you its negativity, for a lot of us its very real and something we wont take lightly, I hope the team continue to do well, However i shall continue to press Ron on issues i don't agree on. I wont be told by you or anyone what i can and cant get the hump about. If you don't like it don't read the posts, continue to stick you head in the sand.

Why do you feel that you have to make a point like this? As i have said before is it attention you crave? The people questioning Ron are Southend fans just like you, However to them its not just about the team winning to others it is also how the club operate. You feel you cant do anything about the off the field affairs which is fine, again other feel they can and im sure do.

You seem to think its fine to belittle others views whilst holding the moral high ground, again i think this is pretty poor. Just because your 100% behind everything the club is doing doesn't make you right or give you the right to slate others. As i get older i feel the need to question things i don't agree with, i also don't see obstacles as a reason not to do something.

Superb post. I gree with most of this.

Can't green you again kenty but this is 100% my take on the situation.

Awesome post.

I like yo kenty, but you new that!! this is exactly how I feel and why I am so anty, your wrote this way better than I could spelling all correct and no one being offered out and no sign of the word fragle well put mate

Don't you just love the Zone? Poor old PB raises his head above the parapet and it's biff bang bosh! :D

I'm just trying to focus on what I can do for the club. I cannot tell Ron how to operate the business side of things, nor is there much I can if anything, to change it.

What I can do is support the team, which is all I am trying to.

You say you 'continue to press Ron' - can I ask how? Genuinely - what have you done/are you doing as if you post this, others may be able to help or do similar.

I'm just trying to focus on what I can do for the club. I cannot tell Ron how to operate the business side of things, nor is there much I can if anything, to change it.

What I can do is support the team, which is all I am trying to.

You say you 'continue to press Ron' - can I ask how? Genuinely - what have you done/are you doing as if you post this, others may be able to help or do similar.

PB i applaud your focus and positivity and im not aiming at you. What i am trying to say is that the 2 areas aren't mutual. I found it hard initially to support the team but on that front you are right and your constant praise of PS et al have had the right effect on me and im sure others. The team needs all the support we as fans can give.

Now this is where we differ, you can tell Ron how to operate the business because that business is your football club, in my mind everything you have put into the club whether it be a Burger, programme, season ticket or just subscription to Blues World gives you a little slice of the club, long after Ron Martin you will still be Southend til you die. OK that's all very fluffy but what im trying to say is yes he owns the club but as Fans we can make a difference by showing our dissatisfaction via the Zone or to the Echo or directly to him because the day we stop is the day he can do carte blanche, maybe we should of seen it coming. If you put enough pressure on something, changes will happen. How do i put pressure on Ron, I text him, I phone him and i email him. Ive had a number of conversations and have listened to his reasoning, and to be honest once i have calmed down enough from his treatment of Tilly i will probably request a face to face with him as there is a whole lot more i would like to know and to tell him how i think MY football club should be run. Of course he doesn't have to listen, but whilst i have tongue i will let him know. Im no crusader who dislikes the man for the fun of it, i was one of his biggest supporters and would constantly put people straight, However he used all his good will up with me and it will take a lot to regain that.

PB i applaud your focus and positivity and im not aiming at you. What i am trying to say is that the 2 areas aren't mutual. I found it hard initially to support the team but on that front you are right and your constant praise of PS et al have had the right effect on me and im sure others. The team needs all the support we as fans can give.

Now this is where we differ, you can tell Ron how to operate the business because that business is your football club, in my mind everything you have put into the club whether it be a Burger, programme, season ticket or just subscription to Blues World gives you a little slice of the club, long after Ron Martin you will still be Southend til you die. OK that's all very fluffy but what im trying to say is yes he owns the club but as Fans we can make a difference by showing our dissatisfaction via the Zone or to the Echo or directly to him because the day we stop is the day he can do carte blanche, maybe we should of seen it coming. If you put enough pressure on something, changes will happen. How do i put pressure on Ron, I text him, I phone him and i email him. Ive had a number of conversations and have listened to his reasoning, and to be honest once i have calmed down enough from his treatment of Tilly i will probably request a face to face with him as there is a whole lot more i would like to know and to tell him how i think MY football club should be run. Of course he doesn't have to listen, but whilst i have tongue i will let him know. Im no crusader who dislikes the man for the fun of it, i was one of his biggest supporters and would constantly put people straight, However he used all his good will up with me and it will take a lot to regain that.

Cool, thanks - see I'm happy with that because even though we dont see eye to eye, you're reasonable enough to have a decent conversation - plus you are actually putting your money where your mouth is so to speak, by doing what you can to speak to Ron.

I havent done any of that, yet I'm as angry as the next man about what has gone on.

I totally agree with the sentiment behind your actions (i.e. avoid buying additonal stuff from the club), but in reality, its just harming the club further is it not? It could be said that fans that are doing that (and staying away from games, boycotting season cards etc), would be as much to blame for the clubs demise if if came to that (which is looking unlikely thankfully).

Its a double edged sword and the principles are fine, its just not something I can back.

But fair play, the fans need people like you (as much as they need positive ***** like me) to fight the good fight in the right way. I still maintain we have little alternative and ousting Ron may do more short term harm than good, but thats your right.

Thanks for being reasoned and not just having nasty digs, which SZ seems to be heading toward.

Back