• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

danburyshrimper

Manager
Just a quick message to comment on how refreshing it was to see how Burton played under Nigel Clough.

... We put in a few very tasty challenges and not once do i remember them retaliating , cheating , diving , acting or generally whinging to the ref. They took the knocks like men and just got on with the game . they let the ref do his job ( like the good old days ! ) and i think the game was much more enjoyable because of this.

So hats off to Cloughy's boyz .... what a difference from when we play a Darren Ferguson , Steve Evans or Graham Westley team..... or to be honest pretty much everyone these days

Clough was obviously brought up the right way by his old man + i hope for one that Burton go on to win the league and of course that we are playing them next season !!!!!

Just a quick message to comment on how refreshing it was to see how Burton played under Nigel Clough.

So hats off to Cloughy's boyz .... what a difference from when we play a Darren Ferguson , Steve Evans or Graham Westley team..... or to be honest pretty much everyone these days

Clough was obviously brought up the right way by his old man + i hope for one that Burton go on to win the league and of course that we are playing them next season !!!!!

I have to say that the Posh side we played at London Road this season bore little resemblance to a Westley Stevenage side of the past, thought they played some great passing football, were physical but not dirty, only the swan dive at the end tarnished what was one of the better teams I've seen this season.

... We put in a few very tasty challenges and not once do i remember them retaliating , cheating , diving , acting or generally whinging to the ref. They took the knocks like men and just got on with the game . they let the ref do his job ( like the good old days ! ) and i think the game was much more enjoyable because of this.

I too noticed this although had forgotten it. It was especially evident when a fairly meaty challenge went in from one of our players (Wordsworth?) in the middle third during the first half.

As you say, credit to Burton where it's due. Some might say that nice guys don't win out, but that's probably a different conversation.

Sponged a career off of the name

I have to say that the Posh side we played at London Road this season bore little resemblance to a Westley Stevenage side of the past, thought they played some great passing football, were physical but not dirty, only the swan dive at the end tarnished what was one of the better teams I've seen this season.

Anyone who goes to POSH has to play the way MacAnthony wants and has little say in signings, it's very much a continental "coach" role rather than a manager. Don't think his spoiling tactics would go down well with Darragh, who is very much the boss

What a nasty comment. Can't think why.

You don't play over 600 Football League or above matches on the strength of your surname.

Or build a non league club with small crowds into a very decent FC.

I made the same comment as I'm pretty sure under JFH they were rolling around on the floor like a bunch of girls last season!!

What a nasty comment. Can't think why.

You don't play over 600 Football League or above matches on the strength of your surname.

And played 15 times for England U21s and 14 times for the full England team.

I made the same comment as I'm pretty sure under JFH they were rolling around on the floor like a bunch of girls last season!!

Yep, said the same, well done to Nigel Clough for this huge improvement.

As for Peterborough, I'd heard Westley had been told they weren't to play to his previous methods.

It's a good thread - I was thinking the other day at the Bradford game how there is so little hand-bags and sillyness compared to the old days.

For example, when Deegs was substituted at Bradford he was quite literally sprinting off the pitch to allow the new man on as quickly as possible .....

....... and although I think it is funny, the spray can ball and line marks have cut out all that messing around that there was. In fact at the Bradford game the ref drew his line and the Southend wall had to move forward!

Much of the kicking the ball away has been eliminated ............ but has been replaced with picking up the ball, running away 10 yards and then throwing it back in a high arc.

It's a good thread - I was thinking the other day at the Bradford game how there is so little hand-bags and sillyness compared to the old days.

For example, when Deegs was substituted at Bradford he was quite literally sprinting off the pitch to allow the new man on as quickly as possible .....

....... and although I think it is funny, the spray can ball and line marks have cut out all that messing around that there was. In fact at the Bradford game the ref drew his line and the Southend wall had to move forward!

Much of the kicking the ball away has been eliminated ............ but has been replaced with picking up the ball, running away 10 yards and then throwing it back in a high arc.

I should hope so, as we were losing at the time. If we'd been 1-0 up he'd have walked to the other side of the pitch, shook every players hand (plus the ref and both linesmen) and a few ball boys too, before walking off at a snails' pace..

Burton went up hugely in my estimation on Monday night.

From the way the players and manager conducted themselves throughout the match, to the supporters dignified support of our minute's applause.

They are a club who've achieved extraordinary things both on and off the field in recent years.

Last edited:
Probably the smallest club in our league and look at them!...Was so relieved we beat them at last. Some od their undoubted stability prob stems from the fact Pirelli gave them their current site to build on and my have they done just that!

Probably the smallest club in our league and look at them!...Was so relieved we beat them at last. Some od their undoubted stability prob stems from the fact Pirelli gave them their current site to build on and my have they done just that!

I'm so tyred of hearing that. Maybe we should tread more softly.:winking:

Back