• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Crewe 3 Southend United 4

Crewe%28H%29.jpg

Two goals from new-signing Dougie Freedman bring the points back to Roots Hall. After an early scare at the other end, Dougie nets his first before the score is doubled through an own goal, this time following a cross from Francis on the right. A deflected goal then brings the home side back into it before a ball over the top catches our defence flat-footed. Shouts for off-side for the equaliser but the goal still stands.

Second half and a corner half-cleared by Christophe sees Zola put Crewe in front for the first time. Freedman scores again from six yards to make it 3-3 but ensures the points by breaking forward again, shooting, and seeing Grant follow up the rebound with 88 minutes on the clock.

Match Reports and Player Ratings to follow...

Thoughts from Tilson on BBC Essex interview:

"An entertaining game - seven goals - you can see why we've not had a nil-nil for 70 odd games. But if you can predict a 3-4 victory every game, I'd take it."

"Looking at the pitch and where they've let the grass grow, you can see how Crewe want to get the ball forward to their big lads up front who will be a handful for any back four."

"Fair play to the lads for getting another two goals after going 3-2 down. Away from home, to score four goals is a fantastic achievement, especially against a team who have won their last five home games. A fantastic win for us today. Dougie was fantastic - two goals (he did score two didn't he!?) and another one which led to Granty scoring. Team performance - going forward we look fantastic again, but as a team, we've got to stop conceding goals."

"Macca will be looking for a game next week, so there's more competition for places. We've got to be patient though with the young ones who are still gelling together and learning."

"All in all, we're not quite where we want to be yet, but today shows the commitment, desire, etc, and that we're up for the fight."

Macca will be a big plus for us and hopefully can add that extra bit of bite too the midfield , still slightly concerned that no matter what Keeper or full backs we have playing the fact is that we keep leaking goals with PC and AB at the back.

We have blamed the keeper , the full backs and the midfield for being the problem , but this is a problem that doesn't seem to be going away .

Don't want to sound too negative but with the addition of Freedman it looks like we will get goals and if we can tighten up a bit at the back then we can be a force in this division.

Being a Shrimper is certainly not boring and we have that record of 74 games without a 0-0 which even now i don't know if its a good record to have or not :unsure:

Holy crap what a game. I'll be honest and say we did not deserve the win based on our second half performance.

as i didn't go, and haven't seen any highlights, can someone answer me if we played well, and were the goals decent? what was the crowd/atmosphere like?

Joyce was comfortable with good handling and distributed the ball well. Defence looks like it is going to concede on every cross/attack.

Sawyer played very well again. Robson Kanu should have played wide in place of Walker.

All in all a good day out in the sunshine!

Holy crap what a game. I'll be honest and say we did not deserve the win based on our second half performance.

I'll be positive and say we definitely deserved the win based on the first twentytwo and a half minutes, and the last twentytwo and a half minutes.

3-2 up and you f***ed it up :)

Great game and cant fault the result of the fighting spirit shown but the fact we turned a 2-0 lead into a 3-2 potential loss is a worry.

Joyce looked more than capable and a real challenge to Milldenhall. Francis & Clarke look bang out of form to me not that we can replace then as we dont have anyone else really.

On the plus side Lee Sawyer - **** me he is a class act. I can see no way he isnt going to make it big. He really has it all in his game at this level. My only sad point is that I just cant see us ever getting him full time but he really is a joy to watch.

Also Freedman has shown what a class act he is with 2 goals and and assist. Total class act.

On the plus side Lee Sawyer - **** me he is a class act. I can see no way he isnt going to make it big. He really has it all in his game at this level. My only sad point is that I just cant see us ever getting him full time but he really is a joy to watch.

That's what worries me. An England U20 International held in high regard at Chelsea, we have absolutely no chance of landing him at all, but then where do we go when his loan expires? Macca and Sawyer would be the best centre pairing and a duo worth anybodies money at this level, but we may only see it twice...

That's what worries me. An England U20 International held in high regard at Chelsea, we have absolutely no chance of landing him at all, but then where do we go when his loan expires? Macca and Sawyer would be the best centre pairing and a duo worth anybodies money at this level, but we may only see it twice...

Agreed mate. That said whilst Sawyer is total class at this level he is a million miles away from Chelsea's first team and I am sure he will have enjoyed playing week in week out.

I am sure all parties will agree he is best served with us this season. I also really like Christophe. Genuine defensively minded strong man although guess you could agrue he didnt do that well as we let in three.

From time to time all of us on here, myself included, get frustrated and engage in a little spleign venting. So after yesterday's result, despite some of the concerns above, which I don't disagree with, I'd certainly like to praise the players and management ffor sticking to the task yesterday, not letting the heads drop and keeping going right to the end, AND getting the reesult that type of attitude and effort deserves!

(Now one request... more of the same at The Hall on Friday night please, to get the fanbase and non-travelling fans, who, for whatever reason, only get to see the team roughly every other week, but are stil committed Blues, right behind the team and carry on with a positive vibe around the Hall).

Macca and Sawyer would be a good partnership, hopefully we can extend Sawyers loan until the New year at least.

It'll probably be more than twice. Macca is back this week and we've still got Sawyer for another 6/8 weeks and potentially for longer if we can get the loan extended.

Whilst I don't think any of us had heard of Sawyer before he joined, from speaking to a few Chelsea fans it sounds like he was their highest rated youngster a couple of years ago when he started picking up some terrible injuries. If he can stay fit then I think he's got a good shot at making it at a very high level.

That said, I'd don't think it's a given that he'll be the one who drops out for McCormack. Christophe has been hugely impressive too.

Short memory! Only eleven days ago Sawyer, coming back from injury, was saying how much he loved being by the seaside.........how he hoped to extend his loan. Nothing immediately to worry about then, after all it must be true.....................

........................it was printed in the Echo!

I know that I can't really complain, but.....................why are there so few match reports and ratings from the Crewe match? Have there been problems on the M6/M1?
Did people who post on here not go yesterday? Is everyone still in a state of shock?
Is everyone still suffering from a massive hangover after celebrating last night? Am I expecting news too quickly after that long haul back from Cheshire?

Back