• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Alternatively, he could just carry on from here and acknowledge that he was very below par last week and that the criticism was absolutely justified

In your opinion he was very below par - a few of us, me included, felt he did well on Saturday and came in for some extremely unfair criticism

Either way, I think it was good man management to let him start last night. I think dropping him would have played into the boo boys hands and ruined him. I get a feeling PB would have put his arm around his shoulder and told him to go out there and shown everyone what a good player he can be.

Stating the blooming obvious - Pigott was poor on Saturday. Last night he put in a decent shift and I'm sure he won't wallow in it. Who will the swill-like anti Southend, Southend supporters pick on now I wonder.

My pre-match comment:

At the risk of getting flack, If I was Phil Brown I would keep the same starting 11, give Pigott a big man hug and tell him to get out there and do the business I bought him in for. However, I'm not PB and he may do something completely different, though I'm guessing Prosser and Deegan have written their tickets for Crewe. I can feel a 1-1 coming on.

Obviously, Phil considered this guidance and decided I was right:winking: He cocked the score up, but never mind. Smug mode.

Doubt whether I shall get to either of the Col ewe games but I shall certainly make the effort when we meet them again in the Play-off Final! :winking:

that would be a really special occasion wouldn't it? 35000 blues fans one end and some fans from Colchester the other end. We could all travel up together, lift share and that sort of thing.

My pre-match comment:

At the risk of getting flack, If I was Phil Brown I would keep the same starting 11, give Pigott a big man hug and tell him to get out there and do the business I bought him in for. However, I'm not PB and he may do something completely different, though I'm guessing Prosser and Deegan have written their tickets for Crewe. I can feel a 1-1 coming on.

Obviously, Phil considered this guidance and decided I was right:winking: He cocked the score up, but never mind. Smug mode.
I don't think you'll see anyone complaining!!

In your opinion he was very below par - a few of us, me included, felt he did well on Saturday and came in for some extremely unfair criticism

You are in the minority on that one. Even commentators last night were saying how poor he was Saturday.

That's not just bashing Pigott, it just an honest appraisal.

Some were saying he doesn't try and doesn't want to be here and I wouldn't agree with that, he was trying but it wasn't happening for him.

Last night even before he scored the consensus wad he was playing far better.

You are in the minority on that one. Even commentators last night were saying how poor he was Saturday.

Some were saying he doesn't try and doesn't want to be here and I wouldn't agree with that, he was trying but it wasn't happening for him.

I said this in my shooting practice thread a few days ago...Pigott shaded it for me, and really showed that he is a very good striker of the ball. If GC threw him a bad ball, he has very quick feet to adjust and still get a good accurate shot in. Now he just needs to adjust his game on the pitch with hunger, desire, effort and much more nous, to find space to get those great shots in on goal.......Last night he put in more effort, was hungry, and just as important, was at last finding space. His first goal lifted a great weight off his shoulders, and the striker we all know is in there, came out.

Agreed with pretty much everything PB did last night with selection, tactics, substitutions etc. I'd probably have replaced Piggot first rather than Mooney but it's hardly a big one.

Crewe are another team in this league who didn't look particularly impressive - there have been a few and the more games we play the less I think there is to scare us. The trouble is that other teams probably come to Roots Hall and say the same thing - we need to find a way of playing at home that enables us to get the results we do away. I'd suggest an empty stadium would be a starter.

He didn't have the best of games on Saturday but then for the 1st 20 minutes nor did anyone & others escaped the wrath of the BooBoys.
I presume you didn't go to the game so your knowledge is AGAIN just from sitting in your parlour listening to the wireless & again worthless gossip.
Is the "honest appraisal" yours or something you heard?

Great day out for me yesterday. Excellent pub dinner in Nantwich, northern portions at northern prices, followed by a good away win. Played how football should be played. Credit to both teams and the ref they all just got on with it even when the odd boot was flying in head high.

Unusually for us this season we were right on it from the start. Mooney looked lively, scored but was offside and had one cleared of the line. Good solid performance from the whole team, including the subs.

Some contenders for my MOM would be Bolger.....some well timed tackles in the box without risking a penalty. Again looked comfortable in the air against their 9. Something the friendly Crew fans acknowledged in the bar even at half time. I was in the main stand last night

Deegan..... 1st minute he let everyone in Crew know the Shrimpers are in town and you won't be having an easy night. Yes I know he was booked in the end for a steady build up of offences but as I have said before he keeps his head when on a yellow so I don't get the criticism. He actually played better in the last 20mins and who said he can't pass.

But for me MOM has to be Joe Pigott......We dominated the first half but after he hit the bar when he should have scored I must admit after Saturday I thought that miss might spoil the night. But absolute credit where its due the lad actually played better for the rest of the half. He was determined to make up for the error. His first goal was almost the same chance as the miss only this this time on his right. Second goal he was where a striker should be if someone's had a poke at goal. From then on he showed some nice touches, even beating 2 men near the touch line and cutting inside. Their keeper got a hand on a low cross, with Pigott lurking, otherwise we may have seen a rare Southend hat-trick. Now Mr Brown has a decision to make on Saturday.

When I looked at Septembers fixtures I thought we could target 9/10 points. So well done to PB and the boys 4 wins is an excellent return. The team have done their bit to ease the pressure now were up to tenth. October will be more difficult so lets do our bit and get right behind the lads for the next three home games.

Last edited:
Still the lowest scorers in the top 12 I think. Great to win the games, but must be more clinical. Still too much squeaky bum time!
All you have to do is score one more than the team in front of you at the time..... Three points is three points what the others do doesn't matter

Seen the goals on Sky and Pigott took his first well but after his second he looked across to the linesman thinking he was obviously offside but the flag stayed down and he duly celebrated.
The Crewe goal was typical after taking the lead, players were not concentrating as the central defence got beaten for pace and Bentley was unable to make a save to keep it out.

He didn't have the best of games on Saturday but then for the 1st 20 minutes nor did anyone & others escaped the wrath of the BooBoys.
I presume you didn't go to the game so your knowledge is AGAIN just from sitting in your parlour listening to the wireless & again worthless gossip.
Is the "honest appraisal" yours or something you heard?

So the view of Paul Clarke is just 'worthless gossip'?

Jam is always honest when he's relaying what Clarke et al may have said on Blues Player/BBC Essex etc.

Not sure why you've got such a bee in your bonnet about it. Personally I'd take the view of Paul Clarke over anyone on here

So the view of Paul Clarke is just 'worthless gossip'?

Jam is always honest when he's relaying what Clarke et al may have said on Blues Player/BBC Essex etc.

Not sure why you've got such a bee in your bonnet about it. Personally I'd take the view of Paul Clarke over anyone on here

*PEDANT ALERT*

Paul Clark. No 'e'.

Terribly sorry to be a picky ******* before 9am on a school day, but he is an all-time Southend great.

But that's not important right now. What is important is that we've won three games in ten days; didn't see that coming! Absolutely delighted with the result and especially pleased that Pigott got a brace - he's still young and confidence is likely to be a big factor for him. Hopefully those two goals last night will out a spring in his step. Or his trotters.

From what I have seen O Neil is a better footballer. Probably even on the defending front.

Better going forward absolutely not better on defending front- for a start pretty average in the air (see Scunny game) and one or two poor clearances one of which led to a goal (also see Scunny game).

However, will certainly be pushing for inclusion. At the moment JW is the better defender.

Back