• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
After the excitement of the week-end and a quite decent, even good, performance from Stuart Attwell (it was an easy game to referee though and it doesn't make his rapid promotions right!), back to the mundane matter of Saturday's officials.

Man in charge is Graham Scott from Abingdon. He is in his first year as a League referee and has done 17 matches producing a slightly above average 45 yellows. His red card count of 7 however is only beaten by Mike Dean (from more games) so he has the highest red card per game ratio in the whole League. The good news is that all but one have been away players. In fact none of his last 14 League matches has been an away win! He has also given the second highest number of penalties.

His last, highly commendable, piece of action was to send off Orient's Thornton at Colchester a week ago.

He has visited Roots Hall already this season, taking charge of the 4-2 home defeat by Orient in the Paint thing. I don't recall it being his fault though.

Given that Crewe usually are a good footballing side, he should not be stretched Saturday, especially as Macca will not be playing.

Assisting will be Rob Whitton from Chelmsford and Grant Smith from East Sussex. Matt Foley from Berkshire will assume 4th official duties.

As an aside note, Macca said in the paper that the Northampton and Milton Keynes games were really difficult for him as a caution in either game would have ruled him out of the Chelsea match. Isn't there anyone at the Club who knows how these things work and could have spared him at least half of his angst? Or perhaps he should just read Shrimperzone!!

In theory then, this guy ought to be on balance, pretty good - the fact that he's sent Thornton off is already a good thing! Let's just hope the wrestling boys keep their hands to themselves though as we don't want to be giving away pens.

As an aside note, Macca said in the paper that the Northampton and Milton Keynes games were really difficult for him as a caution in either game would have ruled him out of the Chelsea match. Isn't there anyone at the Club who knows how these things work and could have spared him at least half of his angst? Or perhaps he should just read Shrimperzone!!

I expect it was something the club felt was better not to tell him, to try and make him focus the mind and cut down on unnecessary yellows.

I expect it was something the club felt was better not to tell him, to try and make him focus the mind and cut down on unnecessary yellows.

You're too generous; I suspect they weren't aware.

Having said that, those two games were probably his best of the season so far so you might have a point about the more controlled performances.

Rob Whitton... my how far has he come.

Not so many years ago he was in the East Stand when a lino was carted off and he took the fourth official role. At the time he was a parks referee. He got a considerable match fee as well I recall.

I've got to say that, though he got the Thornton decision right, he was one of the worst referees I've seen in ages. Gave a series of baffling/plain wrong decisions, 11 or 12 cards (not a bad foul in the game) and two absolutely diabolical penalties. Fun, fun.

You weren't at Brisbane Road last time we played you then?

That was singularly the worst refereeing display I've ever seen, and I've seen Westie referee!

You weren't at Brisbane Road last time we played you then?

That was singularly the worst refereeing display I've ever seen, and I've seen Westie referee!

I did say "one of"... Though that referee wasn't that awful; he let the game flow, at least. He only got half the penalty decisions wrong that Scott did ;) Oh, and failed to hand out two blatant red cards (to Terry and Mulgrew).

I think what we can all agree on is that referees are s***e :)

Rob Whitton... my how far has he come.

Not so many years ago he was in the East Stand when a lino was carted off and he took the fourth official role. At the time he was a parks referee. He got a considerable match fee as well I recall.

And of course if the Crewe fans shout 'are you a Southend fan lino?!', they'll be right!

Back