• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricket-Boks vs Straya

Anyone watching the SA/Aus test? Caught the first couple of overs before heading out this morning, really tempted to pull a sickie to watch the day's play - should be a fascinating series.

Aussies 189-5 at tea.

If they play the same 11 against us in the summer, we should hammer them. The only players of any quality are Ponting, Clarke and Johnson.

Bugger, didn't realise this had started.

Come on the cricket Boks.

Great to see the great convict batting hope start with a
mallard-duck.jpg

Australia really are looking in a bit of a muddle. I still think they have some very good players, but their selection policy is getting like England in the 90's. Rotating 4 or 5 different spinners, pading out their batting line up with an allrounder at 8.... I just hope they dont strike a winning formula before the summer. In Ponting Clarke and Hussey (though Im chuffed 'Mr Cricket' is having a poor run of form) they have a middle order that could get big scores against us. THis is a rare occassion when I want the Saffers to win. They have a good balance to their team and seem to be moving away from ridiculous quota issues...

Looking at that Aussie team, I really do fancy England to win back the Ashes this season.

Apart from Ponting, all the 'Gods" have now gone and they look very average now compared to some of the Aussie teams of before.

Australia ended the day 254-5, with Marcus North (47 not out on debut) and Brad Haddin (37) putting on an unbroken 72 for the sixth wicket in the final session. An extremely even first day, much like the three Test series down under.

It's interesting that after so many years of domination, the perception is now that the Aussies are very much beatable. This is, of course, borne out of series defeats to India and South Africa, who could both lay claim to the number one spot in Test cricket over the next couple of years.

However, I guess the Ashes will be a completely different situation, especially since we haven't been in the best of form ourselves. I think it's interesting to compare the two sides (at their strongest), and here's my thoughts on that:

Opening partnership - Hughes & Katich vs. Strauss & Cook
On current form, and during their careers, you'd take Strauss and Cook. Hughes has undoubted ability, averaging 60 in his 18 first-class matches to date, but he's unproven, whilst Katich has a good Test record, and an even better one as opener, averaging 50+ from 13 Tests, with four of his six hundreds in that position. At the current time, I'd back Strauss and Cook to outscore them, although before this winter, with both having sticky spells, that may be different. England

Top order - Ponting, Hussey & Clarke vs. Shah, Pietersen & Collingwood
Can't look past the Aussies on this one. All have excellent records, and have produced the goods when it counts, as Ponting and Clarke did today. Hussey is having a difficult patch, but he will - ominously - come through that. Shah is setting out on a Test career, Collingwood continues to battle away, whilst Pietersen has the quality to be better than anyone else in the list above by the time his career is over. Australia

All-rounder - Watson/Symonds vs. Flintoff
Freddie all day long in this one, despite what recent records may suggest. His Herculean efforts, especially in the last home Ashes series, continue to inspire. Symonds has a suspect temperament, and off-field incidents have undermined his potential over the years, whilst Watson needs a long injury-free run in the team. England

Wicketkeeper - Haddin vs. Prior (since England won't pick Foster...!)
Prior averages nominally more (40, opposed to 38), but Haddin looks as though he is finally coming good with the bat after his maiden Test ton this winter. Prior has the greater weight of runs, but Haddin is better behind the stumps, so I'd go with the Aussie here. Australia

Seam attack - Lee, Johnson & Siddle vs. Broad, Anderson & Harmison/Sidebottom
Brett Lee may not have the same sort of figures as he recorded in his golden spell between September 07 and September 08, but he remains a potent strike bowler, better than any England paceman in that regard. Johnson offers real variation with quick left-arm seam and Siddle looks capable of performing for long spells in a Flintoff-style manner. Broad has bags of ability, and that is starting to come to the fore, but this summer will be a steep learning curve for him, whilst the mercurial Anderson and Harmison are unreliable in comparison. If Sidebottom plays, he offers variation and a consistent line and length, but the longer his career goes on, the more you believe New Zealand was his Indian summer. Australia

Spin - Hauritz/Krejza/McGain vs. Swann/Panesar/Rashid
Neither side know what their best spin bowling options are at the moment. Monty has wheeled away merrily for years, but in the past 12 months, his rapid early progress has been undermined by a lack or, er, progress. Swann has come in and out-performed Panesar, but he too may experience batsmen getting to know him shortly. Does he have enough variation to prosper on seamer-friendly English pitches? Rashid is an option after gaining experience of international cricket, if not playing it, this winter, but the summer will come too soon for him. As for the Aussies, Krejza is an attacking, but expensive, option, Hauritz is a conservative one and McGain an old, desperate one. England, but not by much

To get this back onto the original subject, it's compelling to regard the mindset Australia would have if they enter the Ashes on the back of a third Test series defeat in four this winter. Would England suffer from a backlash, or will the Aussies finally be broken after relinquishing their number one crown comprehensively?

Watching at the moment and Australia have dug in to a repectable 354/7

The intruiging thing about Australia recently has been the complete lack of consistency I'm batting with only Ponting and Clarke managing to stand up over the summer. However such is their strength and spirit they still seem to post challenging scores. Will be interesting when Australia get to bowl as Johnson aside I believe their bowling attack is pretty toothless.

I'd still back the Aussies in the ashes even though it pains me greatly

Watching at the moment and Australia have dug in to a repectable 354/7

The intruiging thing about Australia recently has been the complete lack of consistency I'm batting with only Ponting and Clarke managing to stand up over the summer. However such is their strength and spirit they still seem to post challenging scores. Will be interesting when Australia get to bowl as Johnson aside I believe their bowling attack is pretty toothless.

I'd still back the Aussies in the ashes even though it pains me greatly

Mitchell Johnson has just hit Paul Harris for 26 in one over. Three sixes and two fours. LOL @ Harris

Great work by Siddle and Hilfenaus....getting out in the same over (Siddle twice - once off a no ball) to leave Johnson stranded on 96! HAHAHAHA!!!

A cracking final day in store in Jo'burg. South Africa are 178-2 in their second innings, requiring 276 further runs to chase down a record 454 to win after bowling the Aussies out for 207. The key factor could be that Graeme Smith has perished for 69 (he has scored a century in the fourth innings on three occasions to guide his team to victory, most recently in Perth when SA chased down 414 to defeat Australia), but Amla and Kallis are at the crease currently, with Duminy, de Villiers - who hit an unbeaten ton in the first innings - Boucher and the bowlers to come. Australia won't be massively confident, especially since they've staggeringly entered a Test match with only three front-line bowlers (at least England have four!), and with memories of the home series fresh in their memories.

Yes, I know which day's play I'm more excited about. You get the feeling the Cricket-Boks really believe they can do this. My money's still on Straya (no thanks Hansie) but only just. Beats 600 in one innings and then 700 in the next, that's for sure.

Yes, I know which day's play I'm more excited about. You get the feeling the Cricket-Boks really believe they can do this. My money's still on Straya (no thanks Hansie) but only just. Beats 600 in one innings and then 700 in the next, that's for sure.

As ES pointed out the convicts have gone into this test with only 3 front line bowlers and they don't have a 100 wickets between them. It looks like the pitch is flattening out and although the odds must be against the Saffers I wouldn't bet against them, having said that my cash is staying in my pocket.

Back