• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

cricket world cup 2015

Ricky Otto

President⭐
So what does everyone think the outcome will be?

For me there are only 3 sides that can win it SA, Aus and an outside chance for NZ. A lot of sides just can't handle the conditions (India, Sri Lanka) or are woefully out of form (WI). Pakistan don't have enough batting IMO. As for England I don't think we'll do badly, think we could make the semis.

South Africa gets my vote their bowling is mighty good backed up with some very handy batsman,as for England semis at a push.

Australia heavy favourites for me, and I fancy NZ to be the second best team.

I might get egg on my face in 6-8 weeks time but I cannot see how South Africa can win whilst they do not have a 5th bowling option. Behaardien/Duminy covering 10 overs surely goes tits up at some point.

Kane Williamson to prove that he is the best batsman in the world. Absolute class act but is not recognised by most.

I reckon it's pretty open. Yes, Australia are favourites especially at home, and then NZ (also at home) and SA but every team looks flawed to me and once it gets to the knock-out stages can lose to the other teams.

Agree Kane Williamson is class. He's not Sangakkara's level yet IMO, but he's going to inherit his crown, not that people will notice as he doesn't play for one of the big three. NZ look a lot like Sri Lanka did in 2011, with partial home advantage: read Williamson and Ross Taylor for Sangakkara and Jayawardene and then Boult and Southee for Malinga and Murali.

As good as Williamson is though, he's no AB. Not so much the 150 off of 30 balls he scored the other day but the way he averages 65 over his last 100 ODIs, and at better than a run a ball. AB is the premier one-day batsman.

England have every chance, but they make things hard for themselves. Stokes has been getting a lot of publicity for being left at home but that was understandable (although I had him in my squad in case he regained form) but the one from the Lions England are going to rue leaving out is Jason Roy. Huge mistake, compounded by the mishandling of Alex Hales. Those were the two who could win the tournament for England if they came off up top. Roy's been averaging 80+ for the Lions at better than a run a ball, top-scoring in the first two matches and second top-scoring in the latest, only being overshadowed by Stokes' 150.

Valid point about AB, we can relegate Williamson to second for now. His record is only slightly behind AB in the past year, although granted he isn't as destructive.

Agreed on England. Bopara's bowling needs to be used, otherwise there's no value to him in the side, as much as I like him. Stokes just played poorly for too long and his bowling has been brutally poor in ODIs this year, and wasn't much better in the Big Bash. As a 6th bowling batsman he is perhaps a better pick than Bopara though. England can make the semi-finals - though we would need to avoid South Africa in the quarter final for that to happen.

Can anyone make a case for the Asian sides to win it? Sri Lanka and India lack seamers of quality, Pakistan need a good day with the bat to compete. Whilst on their day they can knock out an Australia/South Africa, I cannot see any of those three winning the three consecutive games required to win the tournament.

I reckon it's pretty open. Yes, Australia are favourites especially at home, and then NZ (also at home) and SA but every team looks flawed to me and once it gets to the knock-out stages can lose to the other teams.

Agree Kane Williamson is class. He's not Sangakkara's level yet IMO, but he's going to inherit his crown, not that people will notice as he doesn't play for one of the big three. NZ look a lot like Sri Lanka did in 2011, with partial home advantage: read Williamson and Ross Taylor for Sangakkara and Jayawardene and then Boult and Southee for Malinga and Murali.

As good as Williamson is though, he's no AB. Not so much the 150 off of 30 balls he scored the other day but the way he averages 65 over his last 100 ODIs, and at better than a run a ball. AB is the premier one-day batsman.

England have every chance, but they make things hard for themselves. Stokes has been getting a lot of publicity for being left at home but that was understandable (although I had him in my squad in case he regained form) but the one from the Lions England are going to rue leaving out is Jason Roy. Huge mistake, compounded by the mishandling of Alex Hales. Those were the two who could win the tournament for England if they came off up top. Roy's been averaging 80+ for the Lions at better than a run a ball, top-scoring in the first two matches and second top-scoring in the latest, only being overshadowed by Stokes' 150.

Think he has a very bright future, the world cup has come a bit too soon for him though, I wouldn't have selected him. Think he will be a big player for England in the next few years though. (shame he's at Slurrey)

This'll set the cat amongst the pigeons:

BBC

Hope he gets to commentate on England matches.

This'll set the cat amongst the pigeons:

BBC

Hope he gets to commentate on England matches.

Urgh. Irrespective of the drivel that comes out of his mouth, I find his voice really grating. Hopefully he'll just pop up as an infrequent guest.

Strange move from the BBC. I have no interest in what KP has to say about Cricket or anything else. Whenver he talks about anything You are constantly having to think about the 'angle' he is looking for to serve his own needs.

Urgh. Irrespective of the drivel that comes out of his mouth, I find his voice really grating. Hopefully he'll just pop up as an infrequent guest.

I thought he did quite a good job during The Big Bash.

Either way, judging by the reactions so far it seems I am right. This will set the cat amongst the pigeons.

Australia heavy favourites for me, and I fancy NZ to be the second best team.

I might get egg on my face in 6-8 weeks time but I cannot see how South Africa can win whilst they do not have a 5th bowling option. Behaardien/Duminy covering 10 overs surely goes tits up at some point.

Kane Williamson to prove that he is the best batsman in the world. Absolute class act but is not recognised by most.

Interesting. Personally I make SA favourites, Steyns death bowling is something special and their batting line up is scary, think that is more than enough to compensate for the lack of 5th bowler. Australia look good but Faulkners injury is a massive blow IMO. Think NZ are the only side that can surprise these 2. Also Q DeKocks return from injury is a big plus for SA

Can anyone make a case for the Asian sides to win it? Sri Lanka and India lack seamers of quality, Pakistan need a good day with the bat to compete. Whilst on their day they can knock out an Australia/South Africa, I cannot see any of those three winning the three consecutive games required to win the tournament.

That depends on the draw doesn't it?

It's like I always seem to be saying about England in the football world cup - get to the quarter-finals and you're then a penalty shoot-out and a deflected goal from the final where anything can happen.

Maybe it rains?

Maybe the Asian sides play each other in the quarters and semis? Or England. Or West Indies.

I'm with you that I can't see them beating the likes of South Africa, NZ and Australia consecutively but surely that won't be their path?

Interesting. Personally I make SA favourites, Steyns death bowling is something special and their batting line up is scary, think that is more than enough to compensate for the lack of 5th bowler. Australia look good but Faulkners injury is a massive blow IMO. Think NZ are the only side that can surprise these 2. Also Q DeKocks return from injury is a big plus for SA

Yeah good point about Quinton de Kock (along with Philanderer, they definitely win on the name stakes). Their batting was looking hugely dependent on AB and Amla and he'll boost them. Don't really rate the rest of their batting line-up, although they can hurt you on a one-off basis.

Yeah good point about Quinton de Kock (along with Philanderer, they definitely win on the name stakes). Their batting was looking hugely dependent on AB and Amla and he'll boost them. Don't really rate the rest of their batting line-up, although they can hurt you on a one-off basis.

Amla and AB are outstanding but I wouldn't say SA are dependent on them. They are obviously match winners and if they were ruled out it would make a massive difference. Du Plessis and Duminy are capable and Rossouw is much more comfortable when not opening as his 132 in the last ODI would suggest when De Kock returned. Really looking forward to the tournament, a lot of early mornings coming up!

Is it me or are so many ODIs really one-sided nowadays? Two more today to kick off the World Cup.

James Taylor also got robbed - that was a farcical situation with the umpires not knowing basic rules of DRS.

Backed South Africa - Aussies obviously deserved favourites and all of us in our office are kicking ourselves for not backing them at 3/1 last month - but at 4/1 I thought they were worth a small investment.

William Hill's 'team to win and score more sixes' market could be worth a look during this event. Australia were evens against England - an interesting way of bumping up the odds on a short priced fav.

Is it me or are so many ODIs really one-sided nowadays? Two more today to kick off the World Cup.

James Taylor also got robbed - that was a farcical situation with the umpires not knowing basic rules of DRS.

The first couple of days were but I think they were all quite predictable, don't think that will be the way of the tournament.

Yep Taylor can feel harshly done by, ball was dead

Backed South Africa - Aussies obviously deserved favourites and all of us in our office are kicking ourselves for not backing them at 3/1 last month - but at 4/1 I thought they were worth a small investment.

William Hill's 'team to win and score more sixes' market could be worth a look during this event. Australia were evens against England - an interesting way of bumping up the odds on a short priced fav.

I had SA about 2 months ago at 5/1, got Amla at 11/1 top runs and Starc top wickets at 12/1

Anyone else get up early today to find the match already finished? What a shambles.

The format makes England still very likely to qualify for the quarter-finals. I assume in that case we'd face South Africa. I still can see us making the semis, incredibly.

Back