• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
As we look to maintain our 100% record against Brentford in the FA Cup, Saturday's referee is Dean Whitestone from Northampton, in his seventh season as a Football League referee. He is the second referee from Northampton in 5 days and I can safely say he is both taller and, normally, better than the previous one. He is a referee we have seen a lot of at Roots Hall but not much away from home.

His last Southend match was the game at Shrewsbury last season, a match which for me, more than any other, cost us promotion. A match that was there for the taking after an early home dismissal. He also cautioned Timlin and Dickinson and their keeper in a strong refereeing performance.

He has refereed eight games at Roots Hall. He was here twice the season before last for the league win against Torquay and the Cup replay (a proper "replay") with Macclesfield (just 2 and 3 cautions respectively). The season before that saw two visits also. Firstly, the Friday night 0-0 draw with Millwall (I hear tickets are still available!), when he did pretty well in the face of some uncompromising football from the visitors; he cautioned 5 of theirs and a couple of ours. He also did the home 1-1 draw with Wycombe, cautioning 3 of theirs and one of ours.

Prior to that, his most recent visits were four seasons ago for the opening game win over Peterborough (when three visitors were cautioned) and later that season against Tranmere when we won 2-1 (again three visitors were cautioned). Before that was the 1-0 defeat against Carlisle five seasons ago in which his performance was probably better than the 8 cautions might imply. His other visit was in the previous season when he officiated in the Leicester home draw in which he sent off Richie Foran. Previously to these, he was in charge of the away draw at Coventry which I believe he refereed reasonably well.

He is an up and coming referee who had a spell in the the "talent group" and gets plenty of Championship appointments. His card count is decidedly average with 75 yellows and 3 reds from 23 games.

Assistants are Michael Webb from Woking and Matthew Buonassisi (previously Matty McLaughlin) from Bedford. Neil Davies from Merseyside (!) will be 4th Official.

Well, what a good performance that was from Dean Whitestone. A good end-to-end Cup Tie was well refereed throughout. He got about the pitch well, his decision making and foul detection were superb and his general demeanour and approach to the match actually enhanced the entertainment. It was good to see a referee not blow immediately when the keeper fumbled a high ball under (fair) pressure. If I was being picky, I might suggest he allowed the dissent against the Assistant Referee to persist rather too much but on that performance he will be welcome back any time. Shame they changed the system some while ago and he won't do the replay.

The fact no-one moaned about him on this thread sums it up. Reffed it well and even the linesmen were on our side on a few occasions!

Agreed.

I think the standard of refereeing has improved a lot this season. There seems to be a directive from above to let play flow and it's creating a far better spectacle than the staccato stuff we've endured in the past. Refs also seem to be finally appreciating that it is a contact sport and that the physical contest forms an important part of that - we even saw a shoulder to shoulder challenge allowed yesterday, hoorah!

Shame he couldn't count up to ten and ensure that the wall at free kicks was the correct distance from the ball.

Apart from that not a bad display and better than most.

Thought he should have booked their defender for pulling back Tomlin, (might have been the incident that lead to the 2nd goal), but apart from that I thought he was excellent.

Back