• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
It's just a few weeks short of 10 years since we last hosted Chester at the Hall; a late, late goal from substitute, Laurie Dudfield was the only score of the match. My first memories of Chester home matches were the two 5-1 home wins in successive seasons in the mid-60s. Away games are clearly "Best" remembered for his debut, although he failed to score.

Saturday's referee is Graham Horwood from Luton, in his 6th year as a League referee and refereeing his 6th Southend home game.

These six years are either side of a two year gap when he was demoted for performance reasons.

His only Southend match since his re-instatement was the pre-Christmas Friday night game last year against Rochdale which finished 1-1. It was 1-1 on yellow cards too - Leonard got ours and ex-blue Lund, theirs. He did okay.

During his period of de-selection he appeared on a couple of occasions as an Assistant. Before that, his previous four visits to Roots Hall as a referee weren't too bad. The most recent was the final home game of 2008/9 against Cheltenham. The other three were Hereford in the same season and Rochdale in the cup and Bournemouth in the League the year before that. So we have a very decent home record with this official. The only match of these with a significant number of cards was the Rochdale Cup game where they had 4 yellows to our one. Le Fondre scored for them; Bailey and Harrold for us.

Since those he refereed the 1-0 defeat at Aldershot 2010/11 when we shaded the yellows 3-2.

Slightly above average cards (27 yellows and one red from 8 games) and he has a reputation of being a somewhat fussy referee but as I've said before, he can't be that fussy if he lives in Luton.

Assisting will be Paul Kelly from Gillingham (the one who was waving furiously to get Phillips sent off against Dagenham) and John O'Brien, a regular visitor from London while Declan Ford, a military man from Lincoln will be 4th official.

(PS to whoever has just rated this thread "terrible", you don't have to read it; it's not compulsory!)

It's just a few weeks short of 10 years since we last hosted Chester at the Hall; a late, late goal from substitute, Laurie Dudfield was the only score of the match. My first memories of Chester home matches were the two 5-1 home wins in successive seasons in the mid-60s. Away games are clearly "Best" remembered for his debut, although he failed to score.

Saturday's referee is Graham Horwood from Luton, in his 6th year as a League referee and refereeing his 6th
Southend home game.

These six years are either side of a two year gap when he was demoted for performance reasons.

His only Southend match since his re-instatement was the pre-Christmas Friday night game last year against Rochdale which finished 1-1. It was 1-1 on yellow cards too - Leonard got ours and ex-blue Lund, theirs. He did okay.

During his period of de-selection he appeared on a couple of occasions as an Assistant. Before that, his previous four visits to Roots Hall as a referee weren't too bad. The most recent was the final home game of 2008/9 against Cheltenham. The other three were Hereford in the same season and Rochdale in the cup and Bournemouth in the League the year before that. So we have a very decent home record with this official. The only match of these with a significant number of cards was the Rochdale Cup game where they had 4 yellows to our one. Le Fondre scored for them; Bailey and Harrold for us.

Since those he refereed the 1-0 defeat at Aldershot 2010/11 when we shaded the yellows 3-2.

Slightly above average cards (27 yellows and one red from 8 games) and he has a reputation of being a somewhat fussy referee but as I've said before, he can't be that fussy if he lives in Luton.

Assisting will be Paul Kelly from Gillingham (the one who was waving furiously to get Phillips sent off against Dagenham) and John O'Brien, a regular visitor from London while Declan Ford, a military man from Lincoln will be 4th official.

(PS to whoever has just rated this thread "terrible", you don't have to read it; it's not compulsory!)

Probably the mayor of Luton.

Probably the mayor of Luton.

He is of neither Pakistani nor Kashmiri origin, unlike the Mayor and deputy Mayor of Luton - Mohammed Farooq and Tahir Malik respectively.

Saturday's referee is Graham Horwood from Luton, in his 6th year as a League referee and refereeing his 6th Southend home game.

Do I detect an Emerald Isle feel to the assisting this week ?

I reckon the chief suspect could be Paul Kelly from Gillingham. Another thing he's got wrong.

Top job Mick :happy:appreciate your time and effort.....quick question....due to work commitments, might only make the 2nd half....do the gates close at kick-off, or, can me and nipper get in???

Don't worry about it Mick, I think someone is trying to be funny and going round and 1 starring all the threads. Keep up the great work it's always enjoyable to read. I had never really taken an interest in the refs until you started these reports. It's a great article to have on SZ so for that we thank you.

Back