• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

yogi bear up the cagire

Life President⭐
When Paul Sturrock has the time to reflect of this season, will he be ironically regretting the fact that his luck in Cup Competitions changed? It seems to be the fashion at the moment on here to furnish reasons for our expected failure again in gaining promotion from the basement League........so I shall come in with my halfpennyworth.
Southend United 1 v AFC Wimbledon 2................Southend United 0 v Stockport County 3. If those two results in the First Round of the JPT & FA Cup competitions were reversed as shown, where would we now be in the League? I esteem that we would be rather better placed that we are at the moment.
The FA Cup win against County involved us in four more games, which culminated in a demoralising defeat at Brentford. The successful JPT run led to five extra games, the penultimate of which cost us VERY dear. We lost Timlin for the rest of the campaign and IIRC both Barker and Phillips picked up injuries from which they have not yet recovered. Thus our cup 'success' has resulted in ten extra matches (including the Final). It is obviously difficult to assess what other damage this extra workload has inflicted on a relatively small squad but in my opinion it can't be negligable. The tiredness from the extra games and the increased susceptibility to injury is apparent, add to that the attitude of the players as they approach a Wembley final and the cost of all this, IMHO, is important.
Bradford City supporters may be having similar reflections on their dazzling League Cup run, where their league form has similarly suffered..........they may have stopped the rot but a series of draws is not going to get them promoted.
So, when we proudly walk up Wembley Way in April it may well be an idea for us to consider the price we have had to pay for that privilege. Even a victory, as far as I am concerned, will be little compensation for another long trip up to the likes of Morecambe, Rochdale and perhaps Bury again next season.

I think the cup games have helped more than hindered.

Smith certainly wasn't demoralised after Brentford, but rather that game helped establish him.

Barker's injury hasn't cost us as Straker has been playing better than Barker was.

After Orient we went and won at Wycombe, after Wimbledon we beat Daggers at home (the type of game we've been tripping up on) after Stockport we beat Bristol Rovers. In fact our league record the game after FA Cup and JPT games won 5 drawn 3 and lost 1.

The Cup games have helped the coffers and let us strengthen the squad.

What's hurt us is Timlin's injury but he could have been injured in any game.

Ok Sadly its looking like we not going to get promotion this year BUT

Que sera sera
Whatever will be will be
We're going to Wembley
Que sera sera..

and

We're the famous S U F C
And we're going to Wembley
Wembley!
Wembley!

:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

Back