• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

D-day - HMRC

The embargo is not on the basis of the WOU order. The embargo comes as a result of the requirement (under threat of expulsion) to notify the EFL of a default event. That is non-payment to HMRC. This triggers the embargo. Likely many L1 & L2 clubs would be in a position currently of notifying the EFL of default events- so conveniently the EFL simply extended the deadline for such notifications.

In theory all clubs should be treated the same. In practice they are not. So I suspect the only person who knows what we need to do to get the embargo lifted is Ron. Note: the regulations aren't even clear on what the embargo rules are for a default event- again I suspect deliberately so in order that the EFL can determine specific rules to apply to specific circumstances. Hence why for all the speculation no-one can work out how those being applied to us are working.

Around 15 years ago HRMC came under intense scrutiny from the Public Accounts Committee due to the vast sums that were unpaid to them by delinquent businesses after 30 days ,60 days etc
HMRC in term started to look at which sectors owed disproportionate amounts and what became evident football league clubs in particular were being afforded extreme leniency by local offices. A national team took over responsibility for applying equitable treatment
HMRC initially used a scatter gun approach and issued WUO orders like confetti
The EFL / National League were horrified so they held discussions with HMRC and the outcome was very much what is in place now.
Many of the EFL clubs still owe but the difference is that most have been up to date in terms of their obligations and when not have been able to agree that old debts be settled over a period of time but key to those agreements is that current liabilities had to be paid on time or before they became overdue.
The Pandemic changed the landscape and the changes bought about to the EFL regulations were sensible but where Southend struggle is they clearly have been swimming against the tide for far too long and the continual stream of enforcement actions taking by HMRC will be hampering any working arrangement that could be arrived at.

They represent Hopper and Acquah:

Other former Blues they represent/represented include Marc Laird, David Stockdale and Jack Sampson.

Don’t currently represent Ridgewell though:

My guess is it’s got something to do with Hopper and/or Acquah.

Seem to recall I read that tax liabilities can be deferred to March 2021.

I got caught out by that. It was VAT for the quarters ending in the 2nd quarter of last year. I thought it applied to all VAT for last year and received a letter from HMRC saying that I owed VAT for the 3rd quarter. I paid it all off at that point.

How ridiculous that one quarter could be deferred but not the one after when businesses were pretty much in the same boat.

Around 15 years ago HRMC came under intense scrutiny from the Public Accounts Committee due to the vast sums that were unpaid to them by delinquent businesses after 30 days ,60 days etc
HMRC in term started to look at which sectors owed disproportionate amounts and what became evident football league clubs in particular were being afforded extreme leniency by local offices. A national team took over responsibility for applying equitable treatment
HMRC initially used a scatter gun approach and issued WUO orders like confetti
The EFL / National League were horrified so they held discussions with HMRC and the outcome was very much what is in place now.
Many of the EFL clubs still owe but the difference is that most have been up to date in terms of their obligations and when not have been able to agree that old debts be settled over a period of time but key to those agreements is that current liabilities had to be paid on time or before they became overdue.
The Pandemic changed the landscape and the changes bought about to the EFL regulations were sensible but where Southend struggle is they clearly have been swimming against the tide for far too long and the continual stream of enforcement actions taking by HMRC will be hampering any working arrangement that could be arrived at.
Regarding your last point there is no facility for the EFL to discriminate against specific clubs in this regard (however much they may like or not like the chairman, regard them as serioal offenders. The definition and requirement regarding notification of a default are clear. So either we and other clubs are in compliance and no embargo, or we aren't in which embargo.
Of course your points are generally both true and valid.
Reading it again I think you were more talking about arrangements with HMRC than EFL- but in fact even if you have an arrangement with HMRC to part pay, pay in instalments you still have a default event relating to the original non-payment. So under the regulations it would still be notified= embargo.

Back