• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
For the second time in a few days we entertain a team we have never lost to in the League.

Man in charge tomorrow is James Linington from Newport on the Isle of Wight. He is a highly rated referee in his sixth year having previously been a Select Group Assistant Referee and is being touted as a possibility to make it right to the top.

He has always looked pretty decent or better when I have seen him referee (which includes the Dagenham play-off final at Wembley) and will allow the game to flow if given the opportunity.

He has refereed Southend just three times before. Firstly the 3-0 home win against Carlisle in 2008/9 and then the following season's 1-1 draw at Wycombe. For Southend he only cautioned Grant and Macca respectively in those two matches. Then more recently, last March, he was in charge of our wretched performance when we lost 2-0 at home to Plymouth.

His card count is a little high for him this season with 35 yellows and 3 reds (all away players) from 10 games, including a number of Championship appointments.

He will be assisted by Paul Kelly from Gillingham and David Rock, a qualified coach in quite a number of different sports, from Hertford. Constantine Hatzidakis, from Bromley, the shaven headed lino who did us no favours at Wycombe this season, will be the 4th Official.

His card count is a little high for him this season with 35 yellows and 3 reds (all away players)................................bodes well....again..:excellent:

Looked like a sending-off, although the guy sitting me behind said the red had a yellow card out before talking to the lino?

I had a pretty good view and Phillips won the ball, and then his foot rolled over the top and caught the guy. He didn't jump into the tackle and it was a yellow at worst. Can't understand why the ref went to see the lino as he was only about 10 yards away himself.

Utter gash. Hope we never have the misfortune to have him again. He got the yellow out for Phillips then had no backbone to stick to his decision. Daggers players spent more time on the floor with hardly any contact and got the free kick every time. The worst was when Freddy challenged for the ball by the corner flag, out muscled the daggers player who threw himself to the floor and duly got the free kick from the Lino. Utter disgrace.

Worst display from officials I have seen in many many years. Gave us nothing all night long, and we got punished for being stronger and out muscling Daggers players who threw themselves to the floor.

Utter utter rubbish

Can only echo other comments really as had the yellow card out for Phillips and changed his decision due to a an assistant opinion who seemed to have a worse view than him. Not sure if he ultimatly made the right decision but was certainly unimpressed how he came about making it and how easily hoodwinked by some of the Daggars player's.

The sending off was a distance from me. There were probably about 4 penalty appeals which were worthy. He didn't realise shoulder to shoulder is allowed. Thought it was going to be a long evening after about 5 mins when Coker was wrestled back when breaking into the box, and no yellow card given.

I suspect the officials' standard tonight was way short of their best. Normally I don't comment on officials as they have a tough job but tonight the crowd out there were extremely poor. The ref was better placed to give Phillips a deserved yellow but the assistant over by the west was acting like a crazed mad man waving his flag just wetting his knickers to indicate a red.

The officials were all utterly inconsistent.

Shocking performance. Echo everything said above. Was a fantastic game of football before the sending off.

Eastling has it spot on, it was the inconsitency that made it so bad.

Is it me or are we ending up discussing the officials after every game at every level after a match rather than discussing the quality of the game. I pay my money to watch a game of football between 2 sides and tonight it was if he was itching to send a Southend player off. It began when he penalised John White for shoulder charging the guy in front of the dug outs and White obviously told him it was a crap decision, he then booked White minutes later when Hines went to ground (yet again) and I had money on White getting sent off as the next time he would have gone near Hines he would have hit the deck again (actually I think he did and the referee amazingly did not card him) but then Phillips went (would like to see that again as Phillips was adamant he got the ball when he came off) and White went in to the middle which probably saved him getting a red!
Tonight looked like being a really good game of football but the officials without doubt ruined it!
Oh well - Up the Blues - we played some great stuff tonight and I am really happy with what Brown is doing - we just need the breaks and an injection of cash! (Oh well I can dream)!

It began when he penalised John White for shoulder charging the guy in front of the dug outs and White obviously told him it was a crap decision, he then booked White minutes later when Hines went to ground (yet again) and I had money on White getting sent off as the next time he would have gone near Hines he would have hit the deck again (actually I think he did and the referee amazingly did not card him)

Exactly this. White performed a robust shoulder charge on Zavon Hines as an old fashioned 'hello' which left Hines sprawling in front of the dugout. This was in the second minute. Ref didn't like White cheeking him though this sort of challenge early on in a game is hardly unusual. Hines then owned White for the next 15 mins. White made some fair challenges and was penalised unfairly and also mistimed challenges which he was correctly penalised for. Because of the former Hines fell quite theatrically on the floor everytime White got near him. Ironically the Phillips s/o saved White from going off.

However, given some of the robust challenges that go unpunished game in game out at RH and that D&R were guilty of such behaviour themselves that went unpunished the ref's sensitivity to this incident was rather bizarre.

Back