• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Dagenham & Redbridge 2-0 Southend United - The Buildbase FA Trophy

Even though we have reached the level of expecting that this defeat was quite normal, it would have been great to have got another Wembley final? Remember how many fans always make that trip and £50k prize money to fix the toilets at RH?

We started brightly with Rush causing all sorts of problems on the right of a front three. Sadly our chances all fell to Coulson and Dagenham were gradually able to get more of a foothold in the game. With Neal in there winning possession it’s a different game (as it is if Coulson scores) but Gard showed some nice touches and that he can be an option if we go with a midfield three.

The biggest disappointment to me was Dennis who isn’t doing enough off the ball. He’s a threat with it but he needs to work harder out of possession and to make himself available in possession. He’s very Stephen Humphrys. I suppose that’s why he’s with us.

I think Maher may regret not playing a stronger team. The players looked flat at the end. It’d be a pity if the momentum was lost.

At our best we move the ball well - better than most L1 sides even. What Maher had achieved in a short period of time has been incredible. The type of football Bond and Molesley wanted to play. All of a sudden the terrace experts who said you can’t play out from the back with L1 footballers and that players can’t understand formations other than 4-4-2 have been quietened. We’re not the finished product by a long stretch but we are a far more polished side than we were 3 months ago. It’s genuinely exciting to see what this summer will bring. Fitness needs to be improved (we finished flat again), maybe confidence and resilience built up but when it works we’re playing a different, far more ambitious game to the sides not just in our division but the one above. Whether it wins games remains to be seen but it’s going to be entertaining - even if the second half today was anything but. I’d imagine ball-players will be queuing up to join us this summer.

I have liked a few of the youngsters that have come through but think we should look to reduce our academy. When you consider the vast and mean VAST difference in quality between our best youngsters and the 3 Sheffield United lads that we have had that goes to show it’s not as good as what we have previously thought.

Performance today - 1st half - good. 2nd half - looked like we was playing more to time waste time that just going for it.

Think when we play them at home the trouble could continue especially with West Ham playing away the following day. Stewards caused all that by leaving the gate open and not having anywhere near enough police/stewards to deal with it. The West Ham sorry Dagenham fans were throwing things at the lino most of the game.

Started really well, and needed to score when on top. Not a lot more Coulson could do with the header.

Like others, I thought we looked flat by the end and I said to my friend after about 20 minutes we looked leggy.

Thought we lost the game in midfield. Gard and Ferguson together was far too lightweight.

I'm actually very disappointed in KM to be honest. Does he think he's some kind of Alex Fergeson not playing his strongest side!!! 850 fans attended today and he probably knew they wouldn't win. The away and home support this season I didn't expect considering where we are, this cup (though I have no interest in) could have been a thank you to the fans to try and take us nearer to the final.....

I'm bloody angry for the fans who spend hard earned money.
To be honest it wasn’t far short of the strongest available side, with injured and cup tied players out of the equation. There may also be other knocks etc to take into account. Also, games are coming thick and fast - and we need to be winning our other league games this month. I really can’t see the justification for being bloody angry about the team selection today if I’m honest!

We clearly do need 2-3 more signings in January though IMO (accepting that there’s no window to worry about but that may be a factor for players’ existing clubs - perhaps early Feb will be a good time to do business?) before a major reshape of the squad in the summer.

Last edited:
Very disappointing after an encouraging competitive first half for which we were the better team and had chances. Second half we faded completely, failed to test the keeper and only one winner. Dagenham only made one change and eventually overpowered us, they have clever players up top which was the difference. Only real chance we had second half, Egbri missed the target when had a sitter of a header in front of goal late. We certainly were a lot weaker with the missing half a team fro Yeovil.

Arnold 6
Demetriou 6
Hobson 7 MOTM
Coulson 5
Kensdale 6
Ralph 6
Gard 6
Ferguson 5
Rush 7
Dennis 6
Dalby 6

Egbri 5
Clifford 5
Walsh 5

MOTM to Hobson for me, a commited performance and looked frustrated to lose at the end. Mention to Rush who looked lively on the right up top early on. Nothing on the bench to change the game, now onto league matters and some points to accumulate before the end of the month. UTB

Hope those who said Dagenham are a friendly club, and it never kicks off against them, are ready to apologise. Vile behaviour.
You aren’t serious surely? Two sets of adolescents as bad as each other. When they record the away fan numbers, they need to deduct the 150 who had no interest in watching the football.

I'm actually very disappointed in KM to be honest. Does he think he's some kind of Alex Fergeson not playing his strongest side!!! 850 fans attended today and he probably knew they wouldn't win. The away and home support this season I didn't expect considering where we are, this cup (though I have no interest in) could have been a thank you to the fans to try and take us nearer to the final.....

I disagree. Staying in this league is far and away the most important task. Also, we need to know which of these fringe players are ready for first team duties, should the opportunity arise. This competition was the perfect opportunity to try them out. I guarantee, that if some of our main players had picked up injuries you'd be saying that should have been rested for this game !

So we play Lopata and Clifford (both not long back from injury) from the start and they pick up an injury and are out for 2/3 league games that hold far more importance than this game.

I guess you will be patting Kev on the back then?

You aren’t serious surely? Two sets of adolescents as bad as each other. When they record the away fan numbers, they need to deduct the 150 who had no interest in watching the football.
Spot on - I was sat at that corner and really spoilt my day out. We had a contingent of drunk teenagers and sadly some older people who should know better making the situation worse. Disappointing we played well but didn't score they didn't play as well and did so you have to take it on the chin, Still a million times better than at the start of the season. At least we look something like a team at the moment! COYB

Hope those who said Dagenham are a friendly club, and it never kicks off against them, are ready to apologise. Vile behaviour.
Takes 2 to tango and all that. Our lot weren't exactly little angels this afternoon. Six of one half a dozen of the other I'd say. Although I was more in the "Dagenham is freezing, I wanna go home" camp, rather than what our mob were singing.

Although, in 40 plus years of attending football games, today I saw something I'd never seen before. That sandwich lobbed on the pitch really made me chuckle.

So we play Lopata and Clifford (both not long back from injury) from the start and they pick up an injury and are out for 2/3 league games that hold far more importance than this game.

I guess you will be patting Kev on the back then?

It's about the fans who traval up and down the country supporting the side, they deserve better, I couldn't care less about KM, it's the fans who make this club.

Spot on - I was sat at that corner and really spoilt my day out. We had a contingent of drunk teenagers and sadly some older people who should know better making the situation worse. Disappointing we played well but didn't score they didn't play as well and did so you have to take it on the chin, Still a million times better than at the start of the season. At least we look something like a team at the moment! COYB
They weren’t drunk were they not bloody old enough for a start not one of them started shaving yet little ****ers

Back