• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not sure if the chant in question is one of my favourites, specially against a smaller club with little vocal support who can't respond to the banter. Like at least v Oxford we had the numbers to make a response when they aimed this chant at us.

Slightly of topic.. We need more chants other than "we are top of the league", it's to easy to fall back on ALL THE TIME, seeing we will be top untill May we must find other chants.

I'm all for banter between home and away fans but I don't like that chant either. It's boring and unoriginal. We get it sung to us by every team even though Southend is probably one of the nicer places in League Two. It's also a stupid chant because if you want to go home (whilst your team's winning), why are you there? It's another chant that's just spread, but I think it started with fans singing "I don't wanna go home, this is the best trip I've ever been on" a la Sloop John B. Why not sing the old 'Oh East London is full of sh*t' chant?

It's one of the worst chants I've heard. No wit, no originality, not funny - all three things which are important to the holy grail of 'banter'.

It's one of the worst chants I've heard. No wit, no originality, not funny - all three things which are important to the holy grail of 'banter'.

don't join in then simples a lot of people like it/ find it funny and its defiantly appropriate in Dagenham we shouldn't be told what we can /cant sing.

don't join in then simples a lot of people like it/ find it funny and its defiantly appropriate in Dagenham we shouldn't be told what we can /cant sing.

Never said I joined in - I don't. Never said you can't sing it either. I'm just saying it's a crap chant.

I was embarrassed, I have been going to football for 45 years for the football and not to taunt or humiliate the opposition fans - and if that make me different from some on this board, so be it.

ps, I have been some right ol' dumps around the country in the past, and Dagenham smart new stand isn't one of them

I guess you never joined in with the line "Karen Brady takes it up the ....... " then ? I think she secretly liked that one :smile:

Why oh why do we sing this moronic song? Hate it when away fans sing it to us and hate it even more when we show a complete lack of respect by singing it at other grounds.

I expect Daggers fans realise they don't live in a particularly picturesque area but then parts of Southend are n't great either! And anyway that is not the point.

12 of us sat in their main stand and when we stood up to applaud our goals there was no vitriol and hate shown to us in fact the locals were very welcoming and had a good chat with us.

Daggers are a proper footy club so no need for the imbecilic chanting by a minority of fans inside or outside the ground. We are better than that.

Rant over

Let's sing then "Dagenham has potential I wanna live here"

Let there always be vocal support and let there always be abuse to the other team

Am I really reading this thread??????????????????

ONCE AGAIN TALK LIKE THIS IS TAKING THE RIVALRY AND PASSION OUT OF SUPPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We say there place is a **** hole - Oxford come to Southend say its a **** hole - United go to Liverpool and say its a **** hole

**** sake people stop being so wet soft and ****ing gay.

Some of you just want to get rid of segregation skip down the road holding hands with opposition support.

WRONG WRONG AND WRONG - the day it happens I will give up football - its the us vs them attitude that makes our sport BETTER then rugby!!!!!

TrueBlue is a True Blue, top man :thumbsup:

Dont find it offensive but just a bit boring really.What I like in a football chant is orginality and humour we need more original chants lets start a competition.

I thought it was quite a funny chant the first time I heard it. Trouble is that it's now being sung by every set of fans in the country at pretty much any ground they visit, whether it's true or not, so it's got a bit naff and unoriginal.

Still not as bad as that "Your support is ****ing ****" song though.

Well, I can see the point being made - many of the chants are puerile, the people chanting being labelled as witless morons with little or no social skills, lacking in confidence and understanding of their impact on others and generally people to be avoided in any other situation ...............

but .......

I think you have to see the situation from their point of view. The central core will believe that they gain a higher social status within the group and this will add to their self-esteem and feeling of authority. Like lower status males in a colony of baboons, they will be looking to establish a position for themselves where they can build influence and for 90 minutes or so escape from the difficulties of the "outside world".

For most in this group, this almost childlike fantasy position will come to an end as they mature and come to grips with the social complexities of society - they marry, have children etcetera ....... but for some, they find the football ground becomes the only place where they feel they can be "truly themselves" .........

........ asking them to change their behaviour is a direct attack on them and their mental health and well-being - and hence the quote above "the day it happens I will give up football". One might think that this will be the day after they finally grow up.

Well, I can see the point being made - many of the chants are puerile, the people chanting being labelled as witless morons with little or no social skills, lacking in confidence and understanding of their impact on others and generally people to be avoided in any other situation ...............

but .......

I think you have to see the situation from their point of view. The central core will believe that they gain a higher social status within the group and this will add to their self-esteem and feeling of authority. Like lower status males in a colony of baboons, they will be looking to establish a position for themselves where they can build influence and for 90 minutes or so escape from the difficulties of the "outside world".

For most in this group, this almost childlike fantasy position will come to an end as they mature and come to grips with the social complexities of society - they marry, have children etcetera ....... but for some, they find the football ground becomes the only place where they feel they can be "truly themselves" .........

........ asking them to change their behaviour is a direct attack on them and their mental health and well-being - and hence the quote above "the day it happens I will give up football". One might think that this will be the day after they finally grow up.

Quite so, I was thinking the very same myself!!

70's chant

hit im on the ead
hit im on the ead
hit im on the ead with a baseball bat
oh yeah
oh yeah

or ifd i ad the wings of a sparrow
if i had the arse of a crow
id fly over ******* tommoroww
and **** on the *******s below

or your gonna die outside
your gonna die outside