• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Daggers v Southend

As soon as our games are covered on BBC Essex (this one wasn't) or on iFollow (won't be long now) people will be able to give an informed opinion on games.Meanwhile we could just hold our heads in our hands I suppose.:Unsure:

'Donna Summer' opinions are guess work not informed. Even iFollow only gives you a view of the game from one camera angle.

'Donna Summer' opinions are guess work not informed. Even iFollow only gives you a view of the game from one camera angle.

You don't need more than one camera to see on the ball mistakes or positional errors. I don't buy the argument that you have to be there to have a valid opinion. Behind the goal views which many away fans have is not always the best position to see a game.

You don't need more than one camera to see on the ball mistakes or positional errors. I don't buy the argument that you have to be there to have a valid opinion. Behind the goal views which many away fans have is not always the best position to see a game.
It why i stopped posting. Tried to put an opinion on a game only to be told by some i had no valid opinion because i wasnt at the game. While i take on board anything i say cannot be validated from watching the games, running down overseas shrimpers for daring to make a comment on a game the have not seen is just going to drive expats away for good.

Where you sit, your angle, or whether it’s live or at home on tv are hugely influential on how you viewed something, what you saw and how you interpret it.....

However it doesn’t necessarily mean one is more valid than any other.....but it will make a huge difference on how you form your conclusion on what happened or what you see.....

I did a referees respect course once and they did an exercise showing you a game incident and we all had to show red or yellow cards....they then showed you the same incident from two other angles....

Almost to a man (or woman!) in every occasion almost everyone changes there mind after the second or third different angle.....

It was quite an eye opener.....and as you know I do t take to being wrong particularly well....

It why i stopped posting. Tried to put an opinion on a game only to be told by some i had no valid opinion because i wasnt at the game. While i take on board anything i say cannot be validated from watching the games, running down overseas shrimpers for daring to make a comment on a game the have not seen is just going to drive expats away for good.

Not sure I understand the logic of those complaining ifollow opinions are not valid.

When I go to Roots Hall and watch the match I'm still only getting one angle, the only difference I can see is ifollow follows the ball a bit more but there is normally enough of play to gauge how players are performing.

So jump back on the horse sir and post away. This place is ALL about the opinions and yes, there will always be plenty of people who can tell us why we've got it wrong. It's the internet.

I've seen enough when I watch the game on TV after watching it live to know it's just as informed to watch on TV than it is at the match. To Grapevine's point above, it takes lots of perspectives to get the truth.

Given what's occasionally served up on the pitch, somethings the best thing about this game is that we all see it differently.

As in football so in life. We all have different perspectives and to claim your own is the only valid viewpoint is patently absurd. Disagreement is healthy but heaping abuse on someone else's point of view is not only unnecessary but offensive.

Don't take it to serious turkism, it was aimed at Tangled and he takes things well in our ongoing 'spat'. I often like his views and opinions from the shady terraza......On football anyway. :Winking:

However there is a more important point and we have unfortunately we have seen hints of it already on pre season games. Hank made some decent posts during the Dagenham game and i think it was Andy S? who made some excellent post match comments.

Sadly there is always to many negative two line uninformative whinges that plague those threads. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism but many want to know how the new players have performed.

As for putting off overseas shrimpers, what about those of us that will be going to away games and get back to read total nonsense by people who haven't even seen it on TV. (not aimed at you overseas guys)

The group I will be travelling with on the train no longer use the zone including an ex mod. They are not interested in politics or who has had what for lunch but they would like to read some post match reports. They are not people who need dressed up 'positivity'. 40 years of not missing a home game, in one case, proves that.

But if we have to, can we have a Bond out thread by 17:00 on the 3rd of August and have the decency to let others post and read some worthwhile opinions......That way the zone will be better for all.

Don't take it to serious turkism, it was aimed at Tangled and he takes things well in our ongoing 'spat'. I often like his views and opinions from the shady terraza......On football anyway. :Winking:

However there is a more important point and we have unfortunately we have seen hints of it already on pre season games. Hank made some decent posts during the Dagenham game and i think it was Andy S? who made some excellent post match comments.

Sadly there is always to many negative two line uninformative whinges that plague those threads. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism but many want to know how the new players have performed.

As for putting off overseas shrimpers, what about those of us that will be going to away games and get back to read total nonsense by people who haven't even seen it on TV. (not aimed at you overseas guys)

The group I will be travelling with on the train no longer use the zone including an ex mod. They are not interested in politics or who has had what for lunch but they would like to read some post match reports. They are not people who need dressed up 'positivity'. 40 years of not missing a home game, in one case, proves that.

But if we have to, can we have a Bond out thread by 17:00 on the 3rd of August and have the decency to let others post and read some worthwhile opinions......That way the zone will be better for all.

I would trust if we are 3-0 down at half time people would have the decency to start that thread much earlier !

Paul Clark (and to a much lesser extent the rest of the BBC Essex team) give highly informed opinions about the game.

While I would always argue that nothing can match the experience of seeing a game live iFollow's one camera gives an excellent pitchside view of the game.

I got this very clear from our last home match against Sunderland.While nothing could possibly match the atmosphere and tension (not to mention nerves ) of actually being there, nevertheless it was still quite enjoyable to watch the match highlights and even the full 90+minutes of action afterwards.

On occasion at live viewings I will try and follow a player who has been getting some stick and see if it is correct or just a perception; some players only come on to tv screening when they are directly involved and in some cases, such as Theo, that can be only part of the story. Watching him more I saw that he makes good runs but the pass isn't made, he checks back a lot and makes himself a nuisance: stuff that gets missed I suspect on a tv viewing or ball following.
It is a balance between view points; best way is having TV in a box at the ground with a couple of radios giving home and away points! And keeping an open mind.

Indeed, after all, we all have opinions on England matches for example that most of us will not have been at - that certainly doesn't make those opinions any less valid.

Unfortunately there are a number of regular posters on here who have 'superiority' issues and are quick to criticize or disparage those comments that they disagree with.

I can see myself using the 'ignore' function this season.

What an uninspiring afternoon that was.........backwards and sideways, Hutchinson about the liveliest, Ralph decent on the ball as was Milligan. No new talent that took ya breath away and porcelain Yearwood and Lennon both limped off. Was expecting a bit more than that for me money but only a friendly I spose, Bond out!
Ron should get his wallet out

Back