• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Daggers v Southend

We’ve got Andre Blackman on trial a player who didn’t even have a side last year. 5th highest wage bill last year, clear as day that is being cut this season
Obviously there are other reasons for him not playing last year,but I’ve watched him twice now and he looks a bloody good player.

Obviously there are other reasons for him not playing last year,but I’ve watched him twice now and he looks a bloody good player.
Good point, judge him on his play and his training NOW, not a few years ago; he could be an astute bit of business and our club has knowledge of contracts and clauses for "waifs and strays".

The player himself says that he is similar to Raheem Sterling, is that fair?

Haha. My 80 year old Dad actually turned to me randomly in the game and said “that number 8 reminds me of Sterling.”

I think you can tell that he’s a fan of Sterling and that he’s trained with him, yes.

God there were 500/600 of you there yesterday....does anyone want to talk about the game? Or the very least football/footballers?

5th highest wage bill last year, clear as day that is being cut this season

This isn't true on 5th. It's not factual.

You are right thought that budget appears to be a problem.

What also is a problem is Ron's relationship with agents and business in general. I've stated this for years as a huge issue.

Pre-season is a time for optimism so I don’t think we want to dwell on yesterday.

I think there was lots to be optimistic about....

Goodship did well and got off the mark

Humphrys played without the mask which is a massive psychological boost for him

Nathan Ralph was excellent and will be first choice and Andre Blackman was decent and will be good cover....that’s left back sorted

Milligan is a class act and will be a huge asset

Elvis continues to improve

Hutchinson showed he’s made huge strides from last season

People have got to get past this results issue....

First half we looked half decent in parts baring in mind we were arguably missing first choice front two and first choice wide men.

Ignore the second half. Neither centre back will play. Kiernan won’t play in CM, the triallist CM won’t be signed and Theo won’t start many.....

The pitch plays a part too.....it was boiling hot and bone dry....the grass was too long and not watered before meaning the ball was slow moving and sticky making everything easier to close down and look untidy.

Dru and Lennon going off was a worry but I don’t think Lennon is long term.

Players are still on the back of heavy physical sessions with some of yesterday’s having played their first 90 mins Wednesday and trained again Friday and others playing their first 90 of the pre season yesterday

In all I can see why it was a reasonable exercise for Bond.

Bishop - 6 - Done okay. Close to making a couple of bad mistakes where he decided he was Lionel Messi - but done well other than that.

Bwomono - 7 - Looks a much better player already. Time in the team last year has brought him on leaps and bounds.
White - 6 - Should have done better for the goal, but done okay otherwise.
Lennon - 6 - He never fills me with confidence as his movement just doesn't look natural to me. Injured again... hope it's not bad, but I wish he could get a string of games together.
Ralph - 8 - Looks an upgrade on Coker to me. Fast, intelligent balls and some decent crosses. Has the pace to make bursting runs back, looks a good signing to me.

Milligan - 7 - You can tell he's an accomplished player. If you watch him closely you see how much he brings to the side. You could easily not notice him for a whole game, but I think that is testament to how he plays.
Mantom - 5 - Sorry but his passing was woeful for the whole first half. I lost count of the times he passed to a red shirt... he really needs to improve this part of his game - as we know there's a good player in there.
Hutchinson - 7 - Another who has benefited from games last season. He's exciting to watch. A little green at the moment, and does give the ball away sometimes - but that's because he's actively taking players on and getting forward.
Buckley-Ricketts - 6 - A weird one for me. Looks really good one minute - then sunday league the next. Randomly passed the ball out of play at one moment in the first half.
Goodship - 7 - Got in some good positions and scored a textbook goalscorer goal. That goal will give him the confidence and help him settle. Has looked nervous until now.
Kelman - 6 - Needs to go out on loan until January in my opinion and get some mens football games under his belt. Unlikely to happen with our current injury situation unfortunately.

Taylor - 5 - Nowhere near ready for first team football from this display. Did look as if he was playing with nerves - but yeah, another season in the U23's is needed I think.
Kiernan - 6 - Done well without doing anything spectacular. Looks a good player on the ball, and gives the others confidence just by his leadership and presence.
Mukena - 6 - Worth another look I think. Not as big and imposing as I would like, but does look a decent ball playing defender. If we could nick him on a free transfer, I would be tempted as he's only going to get better. A loan? Not for this season I don't think.
Blackman - 7 - I've doubted his ability until this point - but he actually looked really good yesterday. I'd be happy with him as a presumably cheap backup to Ralph.
Mohammed - 5 - Looked like he would be at home playing at Priory Park on a Sunday morning. Nothing more than that. Perhaps harsh judging him on one half hour performance.
Robinson - 5 - Missed an open goal, and that's not what I'd want to be seeing from my current third choice striker. Didn't do much else to impress.
Humphrys - 6 - Pretty quiet game from him, although his free kicks look to be an asset. First game with the mask off too, can only be a good thing.

Fairly positive report......need a new keeper for starters.....Bish a 5/10 keeper at the moment, doesn’t know whether to stay or go. (Is he better than Smith, doubt it).....Ox slightly better 5.5/10....neither good enough in this very important position.

Liked Milligan and Ralph.....if we’d have played Wakering yesterday doubt we’d have put the standard 7 past them with that mob.....hope we’re not going from hoof ball to crab ball with the new manager!

With a mere two weeks before kick off it is rather depressing to see us scratching around the bargain basement for other clubs cast offs and rejects rather than targetting proven league one players. No doubt confirmation of our status as one of league one's strugglers. Bond seems to have prioritised adding to his own back up staff rather than the playing side and the ridiculous injuries saga gets worse. I fear the worst and we seem to be placing undue reliance on Humphrys after his heroic exploits last season.
Absolute BS, for a start it’s far cheaper to have a decent backroom team that can get the best out of players than it is to paysome overpriced mercenary ponce of a player

Really cheered up by reading this rubbish, might as well throw the towel in now eh? No point in playing any games with the useless players we have. Just relegate us now. Gawd. Depressed or what.

Really cheered up by reading this rubbish, might as well throw the towel in now eh? No point in playing any games with the useless players we have. Just relegate us now. Gawd. Depressed or what.

Did you go to the game?

Back