• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Daily Mail - worth a look?

Daily Mail - worth a look?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reg Martin

No Relation
The Daily Mail isn't a paper I've ever bought but I often see it get blamed on here for all sorts so I'm thinking it may be worth having a look at such an influential journal.

The front page does tend to have headlines concerning immigration and benefits culture on a regular basis, and the politics of its columnists and political writers occasionally go to the cusp of extreme.

What can't be argued, however, is the quality of the writing itself. Provided you can detach yourself from its bias, which every newspaper has, it's a very good read. Just take the front page and editorial comment with a bucket of salt.

I don't buy it, but I'll glance at a copy of it every so often to check whether it has changed at all and I'm regularly sent links and/or pointed in the direction of articles appearing in it.

I am particularly fond on their campaign to classify every inanimate object as causing or curing cancer.

When in a newsagents, the Heily Mail is one of the first newspapers I search out, to check whether the headline involves benefit cheats, immigrants, house prices and cancer. I find the Daily Express (sister paper of the Daily Sport) better for stories on Diana though.

I never buy it, but it's always given away free on BA flights, which I take regularly. I tend not to agree with most of the comment in there, but it's an interesting read nonetheless; I don't think it's a good idea to only read the opinions with which you know you will agree.

The sport section is good too; Martin Samuel is an excellent writer (should be for £400k p.a.) and Charles Sale always has interesting snippets on sport business.

Fred Bassett is a **** though.

if you want a paper that tries to highlight and emphasise all the negatives of england, then read the mail, i just dont understand the pleasure of that, even if you do think the countrys gone to pot, why spend an hour of your life being negative, tbh ever since i got old enough to realise the blatant left or right wing agendas i dont read newspapers
just read all the codswallop on the tinternet and draw your own conclusions!

There is a pile of free Guardians available at work which I don't normally bother with preferring to read my news/comment online.

I quite like the way the Mail lifestyle section covers gardening and relaxing breaks for retired couples in matching windcheaters.

The Mail on Sunday also has some great adverts for casual slacks, non slip winter boots and non brand tennis shoes.

And is and hers windcheaters.

Last edited:
I often check the Daily Fail online as they often have pictures of celebrities in the lingerie.

Other than that, however, the Mail is the printed form of TalkSport - full of hot air and shock-jocks who are throwing tantrums for the sake of a bit of attention. Most people get over that sort of behaviour as three year-olds; however, in the Daily Fail, it gets you a column.

On a less facetious note, I can heartily recommend the penultimate chapter of Nick Davies' book Flat Earth News for an insight into how the Mail operates. Do your own checking, obviously, and reach your own conclusions.

It looks as if Dacre and co have slipped up and libeled an organisation (Facebook) with the means to stand up to them. Could be interesting...

Observer/Guardian/Standard and other free rubbish.. Pinkos looking for plum govmnt non jobs..
Mirror.. Left wing Sun.
Sun.. Right wing Mirror with more readers and money
Express.. Poor persons Mail with 'easy to read' print
Mail.. lower middle class angst fest.. fet worry , worry stress!!! sport is good though.
Torygraph..best of the lot if your a Tory.. grown up middle class, moderate whining
Times.. Torygraph readers who want to be a bit Ben Elton but without the Tax..most likely to say..'one of my best frds is black'

middle class tory biased tabloid...middle aged market, middle ages points of view. Sh!te paper for people who cant be bothered to read 'real' newspapers

Observer/Guardian/Standard and other free rubbish.. Pinkos looking for plum govmnt non jobs..
Mirror.. Left wing Sun.
Sun.. Right wing Mirror with more readers and money
Express.. Poor persons Mail with 'easy to read' print
Mail.. lower middle class angst fest.. fet worry , worry stress!!! sport is good though.
Torygraph..best of the lot if your a Tory.. grown up middle class, moderate whining
Times.. Torygraph readers who want to be a bit Ben Elton but without the Tax..most likely to say..'one of my best frds is black'

wot he said, with knobs on

Good paper for those absolutely certain that a couple of tokes on a spliff will lead to imminent death (if you're one of the lucky ones.)

Back