• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dale Steyn

Hong Kong Blue

As rumoured on another thread, Essex have confirmed the signing of Dale Steyn, subject to a work permit.

Anyone else hoping his work permit is rejected?

As I said on the other thread:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Dale Steyn had only played about 6 first class games when he got picked by South Africa for the tests. I think he is actually quite a promising fast bowler but is a long way from the finished article. I would be completely against Essex signing him on a short term contract, as the only beneficiary would be Dale Steyn and South Africa.

I think county cricket has a moral duty to produce players for England - not least because the England team heavily subsidises the county scene. It would be an obscene situation if the money England generates from tests and ODIs is recycled to provide a finishing school for Dale Steyn and other South African raw talent.

I don't have a problem with overseas players - I think Andy Flower was a tremendous acquisition for the club and must surely help develop the likes of Foster to have an international wicketkeeper and Cook to have a top class left handed batsman pass on their experience - but signing a rookie like Steyn is not going to do that.

It's a fair point. Steyn has, in fact, barely registered on my radar... did he have much of an impact in our recent series in SA?

The only new-ish South African bowler I remember is Andre Nel - and I only remember him for being a chippy, rude swine.

rock.gif

He's the young quick one that made his debut against us. He looks like a little boy, if that helps

Seemed OK seeing as he'd never played at that level and got better throughout the series. Was home in the afternoon's so got to watch alot of it and seemed one for the future. He's better than Brant anyway (which isn't very hard, TBH!) ...

biggrin.gif

He didnt really impress me during the winter tour in SA, but good luck to him. He might be good playing over here. He's got a fiery attitude to the game, so I look forward to seeing him play.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ April 22 2005,21:12)]He didnt really impress me during the winter tour in SA, but good luck to him. He might be good playing over here. He's got a fiery attitude to the game, so I look forward to seeing him play.
so have i, but i bet you don't look forward to me playing... on the cricket pitch anyway
biggrin.gif

He's only here for a couple of months untill Danesh Kanera returns just as the pitches start to take spin. So it wouldn't be a complete disaster if he is w**k.
As Kev said he's got to be better than Brant on one leg !!

biggrin.gif

I have the chance to see Ash all the time over at Billericay in the 2s. I think he is still struggling somewhat with his injury, but his beer drinking is still quality.

so,

he has got his work permit! he will be arriving for next week's C&G Trophy match.

ronnie irani says he has a big heart and is already one of the fastest bowlers in the world.

happy days.

Will he still be playing when Essex come to play Gloucestershire at Cheltenham College?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ April 27 2005,14:24)]Will he still be playing when Essex come to play Gloucestershire at Cheltenham College?
He's only here untill June as cover for Kaneria.

The Gloucester game is 14th of August, right in the middle of the holiday season so will you be there ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lordlumpington @ April 27 2005,14:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ April 27 2005,14:24)]Will he still be playing when Essex come to play Gloucestershire at Cheltenham College?
He's only here untill June as cover for Kaneria.

The Gloucester game is 14th of August, right in the middle of the holiday season so will you be there ?
More than likely I'll be there, because I doubt i'll be coming back to Basildon for my holidays. If I do, i'll only be there for about 2 weeks.

Im planning to go to Gloucs v Hamps and Notts as well with some mates down here.

dale was at billericay cricket club on saturday morning before our first team game witha few of us bowling on his own with the help of bowling coach ian pont. when asked if we wanted someone to bowl at us we promptly reminded him he has ownly just arrived in the country and we wouldn't want to damage his confidence.
tounge.gif

Back