• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dame Ellen MacArthur

Sandbach Shrimper

Life President⭐
From the BBC:

"Britain's Ellen MacArthur has completed her single-handed round-the-world voyage in record-breaking time.

She crossed the finish line at 2229 GMT on Monday, beating the previous mark set by Francis Joyon of 72 days, 22 hours, 54 mins and 22 secs.

The Isle of Wight-based yachtswoman completed the 27,000-mile voyage in 71 days and under 15 hours."

What an amazing achievement for a woman only 28 years old. I heard on the news today what she had to battle against (broken sails, heavy wins, a diet of porridige and muck, having her arm burnts and many other things), that takes a lot of determination and courage. She's giving the country a sportswoman to be proud of!  
biggrin.gif

Spot on! Who gives a toss about that druggie pr1ck Pete Doherty who is soiling our column inches at the moment; sod him and give all the space to Ellen!

WS

Agreed, just shows you nothing is impossible with hard work. Well done to her !

A superb achievement.

Anyone else here not that bothered?

So someone sailed around the world in a boat? Whoopey do people do that every year - it's called a cruise!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Feb. 08 2005,21:29)]Anyone else here not that bothered?

So someone sailed around the world in a boat? Whoopey do people do that every year - it's called a cruise!
laugh.gif

[b said:

Speaks someone who's obviously never been sailing. I know you taking the pi$$, Dave, but surely you can acknowledge was a fantastic feat she has achieved here. I like to see you do the same, mate ... two words : no chance.

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Feb. 08 2005,21:38)]
[b said:

Speaks someone who's obviously never been sailing. I know you taking the pi$$, Dave, but surely you can acknowledge was a fantastic feat she has achieved here. I like to see you do the same, mate ... two words : no chance.

WS
Why would I want to?

She sailed around the world and good luck to her but it's not like she's just found a cure for cancer is it which is how the media and the nation is treating her!

Of course if I'd had the years of training she'd had I stand a far better chance of taking the boat around the world than someone who couldn't tell you his porthole from a pothole!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Feb. 08 2005,21:41)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Feb. 08 2005,21:38)]
[b said:

WS
Why would I want to?

She sailed around the world and good luck to her but it's not like she's just found a cure for cancer is it which is how the media and the nation is treating her!

Of course if I'd had the years of training she'd had I stand a far better chance of taking the boat around the world than someone who couldn't tell you his porthole from a pothole!
Or maybe she may just inspire the indivual who does ?

REally Mr Mcscriven i expected better
tounge.gif

[b said:

you been listening to Chris Moyles breakfast show by any chance Dave? Those were pretty much his exact words on the matter this morning.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ Feb. 08 2005,23:21)]
[b said:

you been listening to Chris Moyles breakfast show by any chance Dave? Those were pretty much his exact words on the matter this morning.
I should have known that tw*t Moyles would have been involved in degenerating what is essentially a remarkable achievement. The fat ba$tard needs a fecking slap ...

WS

PS - Scriv, maybe you should try and be original next time, eh?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jávea Shrimper @ Feb. 08 2005,23:32)]
[b said:
[b said:

I should have known that tw*t Moyles would have been involved in degenerating what is essentially a remarkable achievement. The fat ba$tard needs a fecking slap ...

WS

PS - Scriv, maybe you should try and be original next time, eh?
And I used to think Tony Blackburn was a tw*t... I don't think that it's just my age (48 in 16 minutes...) he really is an odious prat who shouldn't be corrupting our nation with his drivel.

I think Shrimpboy is quite right about this. It is a remarkable achievement by a remarkable British woman, and it is churlish (inverted snobbery?) to belittle and denigrate her achievement.

down.gif

[b said:
[b said:

Nope don't listen to the radio in the morning - and when I do I listen to Magic!

a great feat.. but is it 'reeaaally' round the world..?
i mean round the world is a lot shorter down there in the antartic.. its a bit like doing a 400m race.. running to the middle of the track,doing a mini lap then running back.. i reckon they should make her do another lap to make up the distance
wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ Feb. 08 2005,20:31)]Spot on! Who gives a toss about that druggie pr1ck Pete Doherty who is soiling our column inches at the moment; sod him and give all the space to Ellen!

WS
b******s, I'm still holding on to some vestige of my working-class and punk ethic sensibilities (despite, or maybe because of, just turning 31 and impending fatherhood) and believe that Pete Doherty is a far more interesting character than some dozy bint who's sailed round the world in a computer controlled, corporate sponsored dinghy.

Rock'n'roll mayhem still sets my heart racing far more than middle-class pursuits like sailing ever will, so I'll leave the plaudits for Dame Ellen to the pipe and slipper, Daily Mail reading brigade.

Maybe that's the thing Naps, I'm not British - I'm English (but that's a different thread all together).

As for giving up drugs not being rock'n'roll, that's rubbish. Giving them up (or at least trying to) is almost as much a part of rock'n'roll culture as taking them up in the first place!

Back