• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Rest assured, Jimmy Bullard's goalscoring celebrations will be the water-cooler topic of conversation this morning. Bright, funny and naughty. It was physical comedy at its best. But did the tousled cockney give a moment's thought to the floodgates that his finger-pointing may have poked open? I love Bullard, as I think anyone with a soul does, but the ripples from this weekend's mischief could spread far and wide. Thanks to him, we could be looking at the greatest proliferation of silly celebrations since those dark, drawn-out years after the 1994 World Cup.

For every well-timed Bullard manoeuver, there are ten horribly over-elaborate celebrations. Baby-rocking, group diving, boot polishing. Remember Aylesbury's waddling duck show? Yes, they were dark days indeed. Footballers never seem to be able to tell the difference between funny and self-indulgent. How execrable was that whole 'A' finger trend two seasons ago? Even Smashie and Nicey didn't mention their charitable work that much.

We liked Paul Gascoigne 'Dentist's Chair' because it was a satirical response to media hysteria. We don't like a full 60 seconds of group dance with accompanying hand-claps because it suggests that the players have been more focused on that than on their zonal marking drills. Nani's backflips are all well and good, though it might be nice if he spent that much time on crossing practice, but what about Robbie Keane's foward rolls? Rubbish. Especially as they always end with a haunting machine gun attack on the crowd. What's he trying to say with that?

What was the finest celebration of all time? Simple. Eric Cantona against Sunderland in 1996. He chipped the goalkeeper from the edge of the box and then just stood still, chest puffed out, ******* up the adoration of the masses like a returning monarch. There's no amount of choreography that can conjure up anything cooler than that. Is it too much to hope for that we get a bit more genuine charisma and a bit less of the contrived skit? Damn you, Bullard. What have you gone and started?

QUOTE - "My analysis guy showed me it on the laptop when we got into the changing room. I couldn't deliver my address because I was laughing so much. - Hmmm...methinks Phil Brown doth protest too much.

QUOTE - "My analysis guy showed me it on the laptop when we got into the changing room. I couldn't deliver my address because I was laughing so much. - Hmmm...methinks Phil Brown doth protest too much.

Hmmm...methinks Phil Brown doth take himself a little too seriously.

:soapbox:

(Great article Iain)

I love Bullard, as I think anyone with a soul does,

As a(part-time) Fulham fan I'm not so crazy about the way he walked out of his last 6 month's contract with the club especially after Fulham had been paying his wages when he was out injured for nearly a season.But I agree with you he is a cheeky chappie and good for the game.
But this is what he did for most of his last year with Fulham:net:

I love Bullard, as I think anyone with a soul does,

As a(part-time) Fulham fan I'm not so crazy about the way he walked out of his last 6 month's contract with the club especially after Fulham had been paying his wages when he was out injured for nearly a season.But I agree with you he is a cheeky chappie and good for the game.
But this is what he did for most of his last year with Fulham:net:

I'm not crazy about the way Fulham CONTINUALLY seem to cost me money by ruining my accumulators.

This whole celebration thing is only perpetuated by Soccer AM's current "thing" of giving a celebration in the morning and the first professional to do so wins some airtime. Cheese at it's worst.

Bolton away from home. bodies behind the ball and goals from set pieces....

Always capable of pulling results away from home.

Good celebration by Bullard. Introduced by Paul McShane according to his interview. I hope the manager fines him.

Quality celebration by Bullard, and a quality goal by Cantona back in the day too, though i believe it was versus Sheffield United in the cup not Sunderland

Quality celebration by Bullard, and a quality goal by Cantona back in the day too, though i believe it was versus Sheffield United in the cup not Sunderland

It was Sunderland...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtxF4GWiAk&feature=player_embedded

My favourite celebration remains Marco Tardelli vs West Germany in the 1982 World Cup Final. That's what scoring a goal in the World Cup Final is all about!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XOL8o-3TZ8&feature=player_embedded

Back