• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

    Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

    New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

    Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

    Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubey

Guest
In the top room of our victorian terrace, we have a mouldy-damp patch at the top of the chimney stack in the room.

There's a photo link below here:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2h822jn.jpg

When we moved into the house over 2 years ago we thought it was a historic issue and had the room re plastered. However the damp patch came through again. So at the start of 2013 we had a roofer in to check the chimney stack, replace tiles, re point etc etc. They did a comprehensive job (I hope!) and we thought that we'd cracked it. However it's still there. Probably worse then before.

I'm thinking about buying an expensive dehumidifier to really try and dry the room out completely and check that it's not just trapped moisture in the bricks or plaster.

Is this a good idea?

Any other advice for this kind of issue? I don't want to have to pay for yet more works on the roof and they seemed to think there weren't any leaks or issues.

I guess the other thing is to stick a load of sealing paint in the area and re-paint the wall and see if that solves the issue.
 

Pubey

Guest
Have you had the chimney swept ? there may be something in there causing it

The chimney is sealed up and not used. I'm not sure if there's an access hatch to it in the dining room (will check when I get home). We need our other chimney in the lounge swept to that could be an option.

Cheers
 

Swiss Tony

End of the pier show ⭐
Joined
Feb 17, 2008
Messages
6,019
Location
Life boat station
Could be tracking from somewhere other then the direct area above,if there is any external leadwork to render/brickwork could be worth while checking any junctions between these,other then this maybe wind direction blowing through a small hole Ie roof tile felt etc a tell tale sign of this is damp comes and goes,good luck.
 

Mad Cyril

Proud sponsor of Mark Molesley's white trainers⭐
Joined
Oct 29, 2003
Messages
19,371
Location
Flavour country
Have you considered covering it with a poster of the Southend squad? If you laminate it it won't go doggy.
 

DTS

The Business
Joined
Oct 25, 2003
Messages
16,173
Location
In a world of my own.
In the top room of our victorian terrace, we have a mouldy-damp patch at the top of the chimney stack in the room.

There's a photo link below here:

http://i43.tinypic.com/2h822jn.jpg

When we moved into the house over 2 years ago we thought it was a historic issue and had the room re plastered. However the damp patch came through again. So at the start of 2013 we had a roofer in to check the chimney stack, replace tiles, re point etc etc. They did a comprehensive job (I hope!) and we thought that we'd cracked it. However it's still there. Probably worse then before.

I'm thinking about buying an expensive dehumidifier to really try and dry the room out completely and check that it's not just trapped moisture in the bricks or plaster.

Is this a good idea?

Any other advice for this kind of issue? I don't want to have to pay for yet more works on the roof and they seemed to think there weren't any leaks or issues.

I guess the other thing is to stick a load of sealing paint in the area and re-paint the wall and see if that solves the issue.

We had similar issues in the bathroom. I did a coat of sealing paint and touch wood we have never had any other issues.
 
Top