• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fair enough, but I repeat the question - who is better than him at this level?

Who is worse?

Who here really has that much knowledge of other teams keepers ?

I repeat my questions, if he is the 2nd best keeper in this league why hasnt he moved to another club? Why hasnt a league one or two side thought, wow Southend have an incredible keeper who isnt even playing, lets sign him up.

Why dont other managers think he is the 2nd best keeper?

Why is his own manager coming out with statements he is desperate to keep Bentley if he is that good?

If he is that good why isnt he demanding a move and settling for the reserves?

He isnt a bad keeper and if Bentley leaves it wouldnt be the end of the team, but it would certainly be a step down.

Well said.

A player can have a bad game (or two - see Straker last season for instance :omg:) and can still be a good player after all .......... and so it is with goalies. One bad game doesn't mean that Smith is suddenly a disaster zone.

If we are 4-0 up against Hull on Saturday with 15 minutes to go, it wouldn't be a bad thing to do something unusual like bring off Benters (to an ovation) and give Smithy a few minutes trying to keep warm between the sticks. :unsure:

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: I'd replace him with Sammy the Shrimp or even Elvis J Eel!

Who is worse?

Who here really has that much knowledge of other teams keepers ?

I repeat my questions, if he is the 2nd best keeper in this league why hasnt he moved to another club? Why hasnt a league one or two side thought, wow Southend have an incredible keeper who isnt even playing, lets sign him up.

Why dont other managers think he is the 2nd best keeper?

Why is his own manager coming out with statements he is desperate to keep Bentley if he is that good?

If he is that good why isnt he demanding a move and settling for the reserves?

He isnt a bad keeper and if Bentley leaves it wouldnt be the end of the team, but it would certainly be a step down.

The reason he hasn't moved elsewhere is he's under contract and at our level of the game no club can afford a fee. Equally most clubs have 2 keepers on their books and can't afford a third, so he'll stay until the summer unless someone else gets and injury and maybe there could be a loan. Bentley hasn't moved to another club. Does that make him naff?

As for who's worse, I find that question really surprising. Granted you notice your own players more than the oppositions, but the one chap you do notice is their keeper. As a few examples, Portsmouth, Accrington, Oxford, Wimbledon, Bury, Exeter were all places I walked away thinking I was glad we didn't have their keeper.

Last edited:
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: I'd replace him with Sammy the Shrimp or even Elvis J Eel!

Are you mad? Due to the ongoing financial constraints both Sammy's and Eel's registrations have expired/not been renewed. We would then be thrown out of the competition for fielding an inelligible player. :facepalm:

Back