• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

samsmith26

Anyone else here in agreement that DB should sign another contract, but we just sell him to QPR straight after? You'd think for a bloke who came through the youth system and has been with us for years, he'd want to leave us with the best send off he can? Either way he'll leave - it'd just be better if he could leave leaving us with 1.5 odd mil :thumbsup:

That just isn't how it works

Anyway, QPR have signed 2 keepers since their bid for Bentley in the summer. I doubt they'd still be interested

Anyone else here in agreement that DB should sign another contract, but we just sell him to QPR straight after? You'd think for a bloke who came through the youth system and has been with us for years, he'd want to leave us with the best send off he can? Either way he'll leave - it'd just be better if he could leave leaving us with 1.5 odd mil :thumbsup:

Interesting concept,

i suggest any player the club sells will not be used toward the team but instead vanish into the SUFC money pit !

Dan IMO owes the club or us fans nothing,he has given us all many great moments and who can ever forget his saves at Wembley.

Interesting concept,

i suggest any player the club sells will not be used toward the team but instead vanish into the SUFC money pit !

Dan IMO owes the club or us fans nothing,he has given us all many great moments and who can ever forget his saves at Wembley.

Yeah totally agree, it's just a shame that by keeping him on for another year we've lost out on so much money :thumbdown:

Yeah totally agree, it's just a shame that by keeping him on for another year we've lost out on so much money :thumbdown:
I thought Dan's value would have increased! Great potential with the right coaching but maybe overpriced at 1.5m.
With hindsight the QPR offer should have been taken but obviously those who know felt the same as Me, (The worry is i know nothing):smile:

Value decreases as the contract runs down. He is now only worth what a tribunal will set.

There is no reason for Bentley to sign another contract, its in his interest not to as he will get a move easier.

Personally if Ted is fit yesterday should be his last game now, give Ted some games before next season.

Ted Smith was wearing some strapping to his wrist yesterday, so I am guessing he was not fit, hence go goalkeeper sub.

Strapping is just support to strengthen his wrists, fingers etc. Many keepers and cricketers do this, there wouldn't be any point having an injured player as a sub!!!

Ted should get his chance now, Shane with Bentley but he has been terrific for us, hopefully the tribunal is fair to us, you tend to get decent add ons too with a tribunal.

Smith got injured in training, the strapping was to protect the injury. Really not sure Bentley will be going anywhere in the summer. Don't think he has played anywhere near his best this season. There are better keepers around in my opinion. Not saying he isn't good, far from it, but just that he hasn't been as consistent as last season

Strapping is just support to strengthen his wrists, fingers etc. Many keepers and cricketers do this, there wouldn't be any point having an injured player as a sub!!!

Ted should get his chance now, Shane with Bentley but he has been terrific for us, hopefully the tribunal is fair to us, you tend to get decent add ons too with a tribunal.

Sorry but I am employed in the medical industry, and have played sport for most of my life, this was not support strapping, it was definatly medical.
If I recall Ted was not a sub yesterday also.

Somewhere amongst all the threads I think there is a post which quotes Chris Phillips saying he has injured his hand. I can't be arsed to search, but it was definitely said.

I thought Dan's value would have increased! Great potential with the right coaching but maybe overpriced at 1.5m.
With hindsight the QPR offer should have been taken but obviously those who know felt the same as Me, (The worry is i know nothing):smile:

he has looked quite shaky the last few months, and is not at all commanding on crosses.

Somewhere amongst all the threads I think there is a post which quotes Chris Phillips saying he has injured his hand. I can't be arsed to search, but it was definitely said.

Yes, that was quite funny, because we had just been talking with Ted about the injury and then along came CP to ask the same question. It was definitely an injury and not just strapping.

DB has served us well, fair play......it would be marvellous if he signed a new contract under the proviso that we allow him to talk to any club offering a minimum fee ( circa £1 million).

However, by doing this might restrict his opportunities to better his career.

Bit of a poison chalice really......:sad:

QPR spent the 1.5m on Alex Smithies instead when we said no, I'm not sure they'd be interested in Bentley even on a free at this point. Out of contract Bentley is much more likely to find a new club, if he signed another contract with us he'd have to hope a club was willing to pay a million for him or he'd be stuck here.

What are the rules on tribunals if he were to walk out in the summer even if he did not have another club at that point?

How long would it need to be before he could join another club who would not need to compensate us?

Think we might only get around 800k up front from a tribunal with adds ons, hopefully we can agree a good fee up front from a good club instead:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back