• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

For those not among the 157 last night:Bentley made a truly excellent diving stop at point blank range which balances out allowing the 2nd goal when the ball almost hit him on the shoulder as it bounced past him.He didnt really have any other shots to save but could have given them 3 further goals with these errors :-
1st half 1.Failing to use his height to catch a looping ball in the middle of the goalmouth.
2.Scuffing a clearance straight to their RW standing just outside the area.
2nd half 3.Charging mindlessly out to near the corner flag when the only player near the ball was our defender-Phillips
I think.
Bentley must be rested.

You are sounding very much like DaveWebbsBrain analysing every aspect of Paul Smiths game.

I suggest you go back and read all of his lists of errors of Paul Smith and then decide if you want him brought back in. Neither are perfect by a long shot.

Every keeper or player you can go through their 98 minute performance and pick holes in if you are so inclined.

Resting Bentley achieves nothing but adds more disruption into an unsettled defence.

The concept you are not accommodating is EXPERIENCE.Very,very few goalkeepers approach their peak under the age of about 30.And yes I remember there were quite a lot who actually used to barack Smith,just proving their brainlessness.

The concept you are not accommodating is EXPERIENCE.Very,very few goalkeepers approach their peak under the age of about 30.And yes I remember there were quite a lot who actually used to barack Smith,just proving their brainlessness.

Indeed Im all for experience, but Smith was in goal all of last season and didnt seem to demonstrate experience counted for too much. Rarely came off his line, didnt command his area and certainly didnt instill any confidence in his back four or supporters.

Im not sure why you think he is the answer.

Id be happy enough if Bentley was injured to Smith to stand in, he is a decent keeper, but I dont see him being any better than Bentley who will continue to develop the more he plays.

As Ive said before in this thread, we have one of the best goals conceded record in the division, Bentley has played a big part in that.

How do they get experience if they don't play lol

paul smith no thanks dan save last night was mr banks all over again .how many times dan save the day. smith is really poor does not move off line , its the back four which is very poor

paul smith no thanks dan save last night was mr banks all over again .how many times dan save the day. smith is really poor does not move off line , its the back four which is very poor

No its not just the back 4, Bentley is just as culpable and has certainly made mistakes in the past couple of weeks. Absolving him of all blame is no different to blaming him and wanting him dropped.

This defence has one of the best records in the division, its obviously creaking a little as losing Prosser was a big blow but Bentley could have done better with a couple of goals recently and Im sure he would accept that.

He is a young keeper and will make mistakes and will hopefully learn by them, but sitting on the bench wont help him.

Would anybody give Ted Smith a go for a while?

Yes, I would also like him dress as a teddy bear SUPER TED!!!!!

Bentleys gotta play he's the best we have got, we are still in the play off hunt so why people are saying the season is gone is beyond me....we are just as capable of winning our next 9 fixtures as we are losing them.

Bentley is young & will more plenty more mistakes, I think he needs a rest but the fans wont allow it.......

Dan Bentley is a promising, young keeper but one who is prone to making the odd, sometimes calamitous, mistake.

I remain to be convinced of the benefit of dropping him in favour of an older keeper who is prone to making the odd, sometimes calamitous, mistake (Brentford was a one-off with nothing like it before or since).

Now if we had a steady keeper waiting in the wings, it might be a different matter.

Daniel bentley is our strongest keeper. Yes has made a few errors so has everyone we need to get behind the team and look forward

If Paul Smith ever plays another game for Southend i will boycott, he has had 1 good game. I'd prefer to have Ted Smith or Luke Chambers in as GK, Does no one remember when we conceded 5 vs Daggers at home andi Paul Smith could have stopped 4.
If Smith's performance at brentford only Merits a 'good' then Bentley has never had a 'GOOD' game .
If Bentley had been in goal against Daggers then the defence would have been blamed for two of the goals and the pitch for another probably.

As many have said, they could play identical games, good and bad, and the ratings and comments on here would be very different. As had been noted there was even a thread on here about a great smith pen save (better than any of dans imo) and the thread was hijacked to debating did he use the wrong hand!

If Smith's performance at brentford only Merits a 'good' then Bentley has never had a 'GOOD' game .
If Bentley had been in goal against Daggers then the defence would have been blamed for two of the goals and the pitch for another probably.

As many have said, they could play identical games, good and bad, and the ratings and comments on here would be very different. As had been noted there was even a thread on here about a great smith pen save (better than any of dans imo) and the thread was hijacked to debating did he use the wrong hand!

Very true and the absence of ciriticsm of Bentley's errors from those that gave a weekly hammering to Smith just goes to show how fans have their favourites and bias.

Personally I think Smith is a decent enough keeper and if Bentley was injured would have no issue with him in there. Bentley is still learning and when the team isnt playing will he will be tested more and there will be more errors as he gains experience. Id rather we kept with a player who has done well this season and who we have a reason to invest time in. If he keeps making bad mistakes then you would have to question it, but he hasnt made many over the course of the last 35 games.

The time for it has passed, last Tuesday was the only really viable time when Smith might have been considered for one game so therefore I think it's pretty pointless discussing this further. Dan will remain in goal for the rest of the season now, unless injury occurs. Hopefully the corner has been turned anyway, and the improvement in results will mean there won't be the need for change.

The time for it has passed, last Tuesday was the only really viable time when Smith might have been considered for one game so therefore I think it's pretty pointless discussing this further. Dan will remain in goal for the rest of the season now, unless injury occurs. Hopefully the corner has been turned anyway, and the improvement in results will mean there won't be the need for change.

Its not often i agree with O.B.L. If Smith would have played the chance was last tuesday. We will never know if he would have been in goal we would have got 3 points 1 or even nothing.
Dan should be in goal for rest of the season.

Back