• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Its funny - a lot of forwards on here had fairly poor seasons leading up to this season, so on that basis if any of these had been bought in by PB at the start of the season, he would have been attacked then.

We have the luxury of stating better options, in our opinions, but we can never be proved wrong. We can live in the fantasy bubble of pulling names out of a hat, not knowing what restrictions there are behind the scenes. That includes some players not wishing to move away from their local area etc. We have no idea what can and cannot be achieved in trying to bring players to the club and yet many on here speak as though we are discussing someones Championship Manager game.

Its funny - a lot of forwards on here had fairly poor seasons leading up to this season, so on that basis if any of these had been bought in by PB at the start of the season, he would have been attacked then.

We have the luxury of stating better options, in our opinions, but we can never be proved wrong. We can live in the fantasy bubble of pulling names out of a hat, not knowing what restrictions there are behind the scenes. That includes some players not wishing to move away from their local area etc. We have no idea what can and cannot be achieved in trying to bring players to the club and yet many on here speak as though we are discussing someones Championship Manager game.

Exactly!

Its one thing saying we should have bought Tubbs/Akinfenwa/Hylton/Richards, but Corr outscored all of them last season. Two were playing at a higher level, but then so was Barnard.

Anyone who scored 20 goals last season and could be classed as prolific wont be available to a league two side, you just have to gamble and hope you find a player who finds some form.

Exactly!

Its one thing saying we should have bought Tubbs/Akinfenwa/Hylton/Richards, but Corr outscored all of them last season. Two were playing at a higher level, but then so was Barnard.

Anyone who scored 20 goals last season and could be classed as prolific wont be available to a league two side, you just have to gamble and hope you find a player who finds some form.

Spot on !

In our league, as with most lower league clubs, unless you have unearthed a gem (Eastwood) etc, you are taking a gamble on majority of players you buy.

We have argued on here before, where people bemoaned the Loan system and what value did we get out of Assombalonga, ie we got nothing for "grooming" him, however most of those people that said the loan market is unfair would bite anyones hands off to have Assombalonga again this season, on the same basis !

I can accept the whole "taking a gamble" argument at our level, but that doesn't really explain why PB signed Corr on a long term contract (relatively speaking) when his abilities don't really compliment our style.

I can accept the whole "taking a gamble" argument at our level, but that doesn't really explain why PB signed Corr on a long term contract (relatively speaking) when his abilities don't really compliment our style.

He was our top scorer last year .....

As pointed out, he also out scored many of the other names highlighted as potential Southend fan Targets

And whilst you have caveated your comment, I dont really see that his contract was in any way "Long Term", it was just longer than the usual 12 month league 2 contract !

He was our top scorer last year .....

As pointed out, he also out scored many of the other names highlighted as potential Southend fan Targets

And whilst you have caveated your comment, I dont really see that his contract was in any way "Long Term", it was just longer than the usual 12 month league 2 contract !

What matters is what he can do for us this season. Because he is a crocked player, I will be amazed if he scores more than 6 all season. If you have a target man that has become slow and is in pain when he jumps high, then at least you expect them to knock the ball on or down for assists, but I can't see him getting many of them either.
I loved Barry Corr in the past, he has been tremendous for the club and always gave his all. He's a great friendly character off the pitch as well and is very popular. He's always been great with the fans. As the season unfolds, more of you will realise that he's had it. He's missing most training, he can't be used for too many minutes on the pitch and is in constant pain during a match, especially after a heavy challenge.

Too many on here are going on about what he has done in the past. It's what he can do now that counts.

What matters is what he can do for us this season. Because he is a crocked player, I will be amazed if he scores more than 6 all season. If you have a target man that has become slow and is in pain when he jumps high, then at least you expect them to knock the ball on or down for assists, but I can't see him getting many of them either.
I loved Barry Corr in the past, he has been tremendous for the club and always gave his all. He's a great friendly character off the pitch as well and is very popular. He's always been great with the fans. As the season unfolds, more of you will realise that he's had it. He's missing most training, he can't be used for too many minutes on the pitch and is in constant pain during a match, especially after a heavy challenge.

Too many on here are going on about what he has done in the past. It's what he can do now that counts.

Hindsight is a wonderful tool !

When he was tearing teams like Portsmouth away last year apart, he was on the top of his game. No signs of injuries and that he had come out of his lengthy period stronger - which he had. If you dont then do what you can to keep these players and you lose them at the end of the season for nothing, you are again are targetted by the fans for your lack of long term vision. The fact that this season he may be struggling is not something that you can plan for.

I still think that Corr can do a job, if (and when fit) with some playing off of him. Shaq, Barny etc I dont really care. An out and out forward (ie not Weston). If Corr is not as mobile as he was, you put someone in around him.

His ability to hold the ball up and lead the line do suit our style though.

Whether he is finished like THE SEVENTIES NORTH BANK says remains to be seen, but as he has been on the bench it does sound like he might well be struggling. Now whether thats more than he has in the past time will tell.

Back