• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Darlington goals

Wicked - cheers Dave. Brilliant goals from the two Marks... and loved the celebrations at the end.

biggrin.gif

Matt

Funny how goals don't always look how you remember them. I thought Gower's was far better in the flesh so to speak than it was in the clip. Still a belter though.

Superb! Agreed about Gowers goal. Viewing that from the South Upper, I thought he actually hit the shot from outside the box. Still, two cracking goals. Also, Darlo's penalty looks much more debatable now than it did. Thought it was an absolute stick-on at the time, but seeing that again, I can understand the protests from the Southend players.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ April 13 2004,22:05)]Funny how goals don't always look how you remember them.
Not only goals, Dave. You seem to remember Maher having a stinker every time he plays, and yet the evidence of 4,000-odd other eyes and television replays would seem to suggest the contrary...

tounge.gif

Matt

P.S. Yep, agree - both goals look bloomin brilliant!

Made me remember how the goalie got a finger or two on Connies penalty and for a split second I thought "bollox" and for a split second the chavvies in the Darlo section thought
" Yess !!!" haha...hee hee
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 13 2004,22:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ April 13 2004,22:05)]Funny how goals don't always look how you remember them.
Not only goals, Dave.  You seem to remember Maher having a stinker every time he plays, and yet the evidence of 4,000-odd other eyes and television replays would seem to suggest the contrary...

tounge.gif

Matt

P.S. Yep, agree - both goals look bloomin brilliant!
Think you'll find I've praised a few of his performances this season Matthew but when he puts in a great game like Col Ewe away it makes his poor performances very hard to accept.

Their penalty seems harsher when it appears that Wainwright takes Jupp out with a worse tackle just before the alledged foul Warren made on Conlon.

thankd for that.i wonder why someone doesn't post the goals each week?This would allow johnny foreigners like myself to see the outcome of each jolly up on the pitch.

Mike, you missed one of the rare league occassions that had atmosphere for virtually 90 minutes, even when the chips were down. I can't see the clip but hopefully it showed the celebrations in the West after the winner went in. Fookin' fantastic.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ April 13 2004,22:24)]Think you'll find I've praised a few of his performances this season Matthew
Oooooooooooohhhhhh!!!!  Sunday names, is it, David?

rock.gif

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ April 13 2004,22:24)]but when he puts in a great game like Col Ewe away it makes his poor performances very hard to accept.
I know where you're coming from, Dave.  I guess it's just that you're a tad "glass half empty" about our Kev (i.e. he can be brilliant, so why is he only average some of the time?), whereas I'm more "glass half full" (i.e. he's not bad some of the time, and bloody brilliant on occasion).

Tell me we didn't miss him on Saturday, though...

rock.gif

sad.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 14 2004,10:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ April 13 2004,22:24)]but when he puts in a great game like Col Ewe away it makes his poor performances very hard to accept.
I know where you're coming from, Dave.  I guess it's just that you're a tad "glass half empty" about our Kev (i.e. he can be brilliant, so why is he only average some of the time?), whereas I'm more "glass half full" (i.e. he's not bad some of the time, and bloody brilliant on occasion).

rock.gif

sad.gif

Matt
Matt that is exactly it. I'm not prepared to except a bad performance from anyone when you know that they can play very well.

I think Bentley was imense on Monday so we didn't miss Maher too much although Hunt has been poor of late. I've never said that Kev isn't the best player in his position at the club, what I have said is we can do better in this division.

I'm not sure Maher could have pushed his passion into the side in the 2nd half like Warren did though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ April 14 2004,10:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 14 2004,10:10)]
[b said:

rock.gif

sad.gif

Matt
Matt that is exactly it. I'm not prepared to except a bad performance from anyone when you know that they can play very well.

I think Bentley was imense on Monday so we didn't miss Maher too much although Hunt has been poor of late. I've never said that Kev isn't the best player in his position at the club, what I have said is we can do better in this division.

I'm not sure Maher could have pushed his passion into the side in the 2nd half like Warren did though.
Whoops miss read Matt's original post.

Wasn't there Saturday so can't comment.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ April 14 2004,10:17)]I think Bentley was imense on Monday so we didn't miss Maher too much although Hunt has been poor of late.
Despite being a member of the KMAS, I have to say that seeing Bentley on Saturday (where I thought he had a good game; sounds like he had an even better one on Monday), it made me think that, were Jay Smith fit, Bentley & Smith might be our best centre-mid pairing.

That says an awful lot for how much Bentley has progressed since he's been at the club.

It also says a lot about Kev's inconsistency.  His midfield performance against Col Ewe was the best I've seen at the club since the days of Marsh & Butler.  It made him look like one of the best midfielders in the second division, let alone the third.

I wish I knew why he doesn't play like that every week... but I don't.

As for Lewis... great centre-half, iffy midfielder IMHO.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ April 14 2004,10:17)]I'm not sure Maher could have pushed his passion into the side in the 2nd half like Warren did though.
Agreed.  Warren has "captain" written all over him.  Kev's only ever led "by example"... and when that example has been a bit half-arsed on occasion, that feeds through to the whole side.

Wozza, on the other hand... well, there's not a "half-arsed" cell in his body.  I really hope he stays - I think his re-signature is every bit as important as Constantine's, and perhaps more so than even Leon Cort's.

rock.gif

Matt

I'm in the Hunt fan club myself. People said he had a bad game on Monday but I thought he looked industrious and efficient even if his contribution to the game may not have been outstanding. He reads the game really well and makes himself loads of time on the ball thanks to his "Premiership" touch. It worries me that Bentley's versatility would make Bentley and Smith/Maher seem the most likely combination (pending injuries) and Hunt would not feel he would have a future at the club.

If not in midfield, you would then have to look at removing Cort or Warren which seems unlikely at the moment. Apparently he used to play wing back quite a lot at Derby. Worth a crack at left back?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ April 14 2004,11:27)]That says an awful lot for how much Bentley has progressed since he's been at the club.
This fact... as well as other signings... shows how good Tilly / Brush are as well at:

1. Spotting good players

2. Developing their potential.

Back