• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Darryl 4 England?

Beefy

Life President
If Flavs has as good a season next year as the last two have been, what are the chances of him getting an England call?

Hear me out... Carson is on stand-by for the World Cup on the back of a handful of decent Championship games for Sheffield Wednesday. Rob Green was mediocre for Norwich this year and he's going to Germany. And he's only a year or so younger than Flavs.

This is probably a more damning indictment on the state of English goalkeepers nowadays than it is a serious call for international recognition for one of our own, but in all honesty aside from Robinson, James & Martyn I struggle to think of better English goalkeepers.

Flavs for Ireland
biggrin.gif

If James can play for England anyone of the remaining keepers playing first team football must have a chance.

Flavs for England!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ May 09 2006,20:12)]Kirkland...
Has he ever been fit for more than four weeks at a time though?

Kirkland would be the one who stands out but then he's hardly set the World alight at West Brom this season on the rare occasions when he's been fit enough to play. Carson looks the better prospect to me.

It's sad to see this situation - we've only one really good 'keeper at the mo (Robinson). Everyone else is much of a muchness.

Dont know about Flavs, but what about Freddy? With all the silly call ups from tw&t Sven like Walcott whos never kicked a ball for his new club. However good he may be, Darren Bent has to be fuming after scoring 20 odd goals in his first season in the top flight. I honestly think Freddy has as much right to be in in the world cup as Walcott has.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ May 09 2006,20:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ May 09 2006,20:12)]Kirkland...
Has he ever been fit for more than four weeks at a time though?

Kirkland would be the one who stands out but then he's hardly set the World alight at West Brom this season on the rare occasions when he's been fit enough to play. Carson looks the better prospect to me.
Agree with the injury comment, but Kirkland was quite outstanding for the first part of the season!

Only the fact that Kuzack was equally as good as Kirkland meant that he didnt eventually get his place back.

His injury problems will be his downfall though and I doubt he will ever play consistantly for a top club.

I thought about this many times this season, he is solid, a Premier$hite standard keeper for sure, he rarely puts a foot wrong, cant wait to see him playing better teams next season see how he does.

If James can play for England so can I
biggrin.gif
I was watching James warm up for England before the game v France in Portugal 04 and jokingly turned to my mate and said if you watch James long enough he will catch one........he didn't!

Flavs and Freddy for England?!!!! Have you all been on the funny fags or something?!!!!!
laugh.gif

If we turn this in to a debate on who should play in goal for England, IMO it should be Carlo Cudicini. He may be Italian, but he is entitled to a British passport because he has lived here for so long. He has always said he wants to play for Italy, but he has never been picked for a squad.

Back