• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Darryl Flahavan - Your Views

TBV_Dan

Supporting The Blue Voice
Thread about our keeper, Darryl Flahavan. Against Crewe, he stopped two penalties with 2 supurb saves, and that really did secure our deserved 3 points, but what are your views on Darryl Flahavan?

This season has proved what a confidence player Flavs is.
He's had spells of looking the shakiest he's been in years but thankfully his personal upturn in form has coincided with the teams.
Exactly what we need with 5 (maybe 8!!!) potential cup-finals coming up over the next month or so!

Fantastic shot stopper and a good keeper for this level. Rightfully part of Southend folklore for his part in two promotions (hopefully a third after this season) and being MOTM against Manc U.

Yet to prove himself at Championship level and I suspect his size means it may be a step too far for him. However he has done enough to be given the chance in that league if we were to get promoted again.

Does the business to prove the critics wrong when it really matters. A great keeper at this level and one who hopefully will yet get the chance next season to prove that he can be a useful Championship one too!

erm cos he stops the ball from going into goal and stuff.
There has got to be a better reason than that, every keeper can stop a ball from going into the goal, but what is special about Darryl Flahavan?

Fantastic shot stopper and a good keeper for this level. Rightfully part of Southend folklore for his part in two promotions (hopefully a third after this season) and being MOTM against Manc U.

Yet to prove himself at Championship level and I suspect his size means it may be a step too far for him. However he has done enough to be given the chance in that league if we were to get promoted again.

I don't think anybody could put it better than the above.

All I would say is he's had a season in the CCC & was proved not to be upto the job. that said he had a poor defence in font of him & a keeper always has the finger of blame pointed at them if the team concedes lots of goals.

what is special about Darryl Flahavan?

Not an awful lot as it goes. I certainly wouldn't class hi as special.

He's very agile and has decent reflexes, which makes him a very good shot stopper, probably one of the best in the division.

However, his lack of height and communication with his defence will always prevent him from playing at the highest level and he didn't exactly cover himself with glory last season (albeit he was badly let down by his defence at times).
He also can be a bit reticent about coming off his line sometimes.

However, he's proved before that he's more than competent at this level and he has proved his worth many times over the past. We're lucky to have him, however we should not delude ourselves that he cannot be bettered.

Following on from the perfect answer given by uxbridge.....I reckon that league 1 is just about the upper echelon of his ability. Keepers in the championship & above appear to possess similar shot stopping skills with the added bonus of being able to touch the crossbar without the aid of step ladders.

theres no doubting he's a great shot stopper and love it when he tells us what he thinks of col u!

never really had him down as a great penalty saver but thank god he was yesterday. he played a massive part in winning the game yesterday. how many times has he saved us in the past? promotion year he was amazing!

i don't think theres any doubt he would be playing at a higher level if it wasn't for height. you can't deny its sometimes a worry. imo i think it stops him coming out to collect ballas a lot of the time and does tend to stay on his line.

one of our longest serving players and seems to be enjoying life here, great bloke and lets not forget his bird is very fit!

There has got to be a better reason than that, every keeper can stop a ball from going into the goal, but what is special about Darryl Flahavan?

Darryl Flahavan is special because he is currently the only ompah-lumpah playing league football.

Darryl Flahavan is special because he is currently the only ompah-lumpah playing league football.

Yes, but only because Barnsley's Jamal Campbell-Ryce is currently playing FA Cup football.

Flahavan is a spectacular shot-stopper but is let down by indecisive, poor decision-making. His kicking and communication are also below average

Back