• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Darryl - Southend legend

Other long serving players like Alan Moody, Tony Hadley & Ronnie Pountney have also suffered somewhat undignified exits in the past. And notable Tilly himself.

Yes, and the way Tilly left was probably the worst of all. If anything, the fact he was desperate to come back, given such treatment, and remains our manager to this day shows the measure of the man...no matter what some may think of him at times.

As for dignity being shown generally...from a PR perspective, I just think the Club could handle things a little better when these situations arise.

Yep I agree here. I am quite ashamed this season gone with the handling of Maher and Darryl. Don't get me wrong I understand that the management have to think about the future of the club and its refreshing to see that. However, we should be recognising the greats of this club and the ones that have served us well in their prime.

I don't think I can remember many times when Darryl was a main factor in letting us down. Despite his lack of height I think he is an amazing goalkeeper and think that it is sad we only offered one of our most consistent players a one year deal when the new keeper who is 2 years older has been offered 2 years.

That's football life though and I don't doubt for one second that he will be missed by lots. Like I said before, if Mildenhill doesn't turn out to be reliable or consistent I think we will all realise just how important Darryl was.

They are not thinking of the future, they are thinking on the cheap and it looks like we are going the same way as the Borient. Brushey has given the game away by suggesting that the youngsters have got a chance to get in the team, and most of them are crap!

Superb shot-stopper, in fact one of the best I've ever seen. However, other faults have become more noticable over the last couple of seasons. I think the management (as well as most other sides) have noticed his failings, and have decided to look at other options. Never forget what Bob Paisley said "if someone's going downhill, better for them to go downhill in someone else's side"

Good luck at Palace Darryl, thanks for the years of service.

He aint going downhill, Southend united are!

A good quality goalkeeper who could have gone on to bigger things (although we would never have had him in the first place) had he been a bit bigger himself Certainly in the top 5 of permanent keepers i have seen at RH .
A crowd pleaser with his spectacular shot stopping but his lack of dominance in the box did lead to frustration as well.
Seemed a nice bloke and the Mrs liked his bum.
Wignall and Robson didn't rate him (although once Robson left Wiggers got him back because he was available, better than Emberson and it got the crowd off his back for 10 minutes)
Tilly has tried to get better keepers in before (Bart and Collis didn't just hack it) so I don't think his failings are something a few petty fans have made up.
As for the loyalty, he was offered a 1 year contract (which I would imagine is about the norm for a no2 keeper who is of an age that he will not improve much) with the knowledge that he could go and get a better deal elsewhere if there was one around.
He found one and he has not been kept at the club any longer than he wants, I don't think letting him stew in the reserves for 3 years is a greater reward .

Yep a good keeper, possibly a great keeper (in SUFC terms) but would only get legend status based on the fact that he is the 2nd most played keeper.

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT...........:clap:

There is about 6 of you clueless Flavs haters on here and you are one of em'. Wot the hell you know about keepers being Scottish is beyond me!

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT...........:clap:

More importantly GIRL FIGHT!

Regarding Darryl, I think he's been a great servant to the club and a good player. Yes he has his strenghs and weaknesses as does evey player, however being a goalkeeper and short is one of the more serious combinations. I'm sure Milldenhall will have his faults as well but i'm sure people like Wiggy et al will see through those like thay did with Darryl

I always thought Darryl was a top shot stopper as he proved time and time again but did lack any commanding presence of his box..(.Southend-lady would no doubt help him in that area)..... I don't think the defence ever felt comfortable with him there at crosses or corners....

Overall an asset to SUFC in his time here and for sure I will miss his antics to the fans and have great memories of him, but feel it is time to move forward and it seems Tilly and co see it the same way.

There is about 6 of you clueless Flavs haters on here and you are one of em'. Wot the hell you know about keepers being Scottish is beyond me!

I'm not a Flahavan hater, see my post earlier. I am sorry to see him go actually. I just don't think the man is legendary in terms of SUFC.

Plus, hailing from Leigh-on-Sea and being born in Rochford hospital to 2 English parents, seems to suggest I'm not SCOTTISH........

so happy for Darryl - reckon he's delighted to be mnoving on and I am sure
he has Tilsons full support in his decision -

as for the moaning sour pusses (he's too short - yaaaaaaaaaaawn... original eh?) - you would have thought they could have given it up (just for one day, or perhaps a couple of hours) and recognised the guys acheivements and celebrated his progress ...

And I reckon hes as much loved as a any other player whos been part of the clubs recent progress .....

and the thing about tall keeprs...... its just a fad - they are often ****e on the ground and crap at low shots and cos they are tall doesn't mean they can catch (Cech) either -

any stattos got Gordon Banks height at their fingertips -

Gordon Banks was 6 ft tall , as was Pat Jennings at the time that was tall , I seem to recall Jack Charlton towering over most forwards he played against and he was 6'3''
I think you will also find that given the playing surface, boots and general fitness levels forwards did not jump quite as well as they do now

Laurie Sivell kept goal for Ipswich in the old 1st Division and was only 5'8"

If being Scottish precludes him from having any knowledge about goalkeeeping,

I'd be quite interested to know how you have become the definitive authority on the subject?!?

Laurie Sivell kept goal for Ipswich in the old 1st Division and was only 5'8"

Their other GK at the time, Paul Cooper was only 5'10 as well IIRC.

Thing is though, I think if there were internet message boards around in the late 70s/early 80s, I bet Ipswich fans would have moaned about their diminutive keepers too! ;)

If being Scottish precludes him from having any knowledge about goalkeeeping

Cheers, but as I said, I'm NOT Scottish!

Back