• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Darryl - Southend legend

Cheers, but as I said, I'm NOT Scottish!

Ha, yes, I did read that bit, poor choice of phrase on my part... :dim:

I was a little cross at the 'I'm right, Flahavan is the best invention since the Toaster, and everyone else is either blind or sad' stream of posts. I like a bit of substance behind an argument!!

so happy for Darryl - reckon he's delighted to be mnoving on and I am sure
he has Tilsons full support in his decision -

as for the moaning sour pusses (he's too short - yaaaaaaaaaaawn... original eh?) - you would have thought they could have given it up (just for one day, or perhaps a couple of hours) and recognised the guys acheivements and celebrated his progress ...

And I reckon hes as much loved as a any other player whos been part of the clubs recent progress .....

and the thing about tall keeprs...... its just a fad - they are often ****e on the ground and crap at low shots and cos they are tall doesn't mean they can catch (Cech) either -

any stattos got Gordon Banks height at their fingertips -

Its not so much his height (although that doesn't help him) as his decision making. If his starting position was a yard higher up the pitch he'd narrow the angle, would be in a better position to stop more shots, come for crosses etc but he's afraid to leave his line presumably in case the ball goes over his head and everyone says he is too small.

Hopefully Mildenhall will be a better goalkeeper in the sense that he hopefully will have a better football brain which will enable him to read the game and therefore communicate better with his defence, be able to judge better what crosses to go for (Flahavan only ever went back for crosses which had gone beyond the far post, by which time the angles are in your favour and unless it is an easy claim it is often not worth the risk) and prevent opponents from scoring headers within the 6 yard box. A lot of the time the goalkeeper only has to go for the cross in order to win a free-kick and break up an attack.

It would also be a bonus if his goal-kicks could both cross the half-way line and go in the vague direction of the tall centre-forward, instead of out for a throw-in on the half-way line. Any counter-attacks he could instigate by claiming a cross and quickly releasing the ball would also be useful.

It would also be nice if free-kicks weren't automatically goals if they were on target.

If Mildenhall can improve on any of these areas he'll be a substantial upgrade, even if he makes the occasional handling error or gets stranded on the occasional cross. I want to see a more confident, a more pro-active keeper. In being more pro-active he'll be bound to make more mistakes, but the overall effect of being pro-active will save many more goals than it will cost, even if the errors are more noticeable.

Its not so much his height (although that doesn't help him) as his decision making. If his starting position was a yard higher up the pitch he'd narrow the angle, would be in a better position to stop more shots, come for crosses etc but he's afraid to leave his line presumably in case the ball goes over his head and everyone says he is too small.

OR because the defence is too bloody slow ......

Hopefully Mildenhall will be a better goalkeeper in the sense that he hopefully will have a better football brain which will enable him to read the game and therefore communicate better with his defence, be able to judge better what crosses to go for (Flahavan only ever went back for crosses which had gone beyond the far post, by which time the angles are in your favour and unless it is an easy claim it is often not worth the risk) and prevent opponents from scoring headers within the 6 yard box. A lot of the time the goalkeeper only has to go for the cross in order to win a free-kick and break up an attack.

OR because the defence is a mess ...........

It would also be a bonus if his goal-kicks could both cross the half-way line and go in the vague direction of the tall centre-forward, instead of out for a throw-in on the half-way line. Any counter-attacks he could instigate by claiming a cross and quickly releasing the ball would also be useful.

I think Tilson likes the kick out to wideman - (Bentley, Foran)

It would also be nice if free-kicks weren't automatically goals if they were on target.

They weren't when a quality CB (prior, Sodje) was bossing it -

If Mildenhall can improve on any of these areas he'll be a substantial upgrade,
even if he makes the occasional handling error or gets stranded on the occasional cross.

One of Flavs strengths is that he doesn't make too many basic errors/clangers

I want to see a more confident, a more pro-active keeper. In being more pro-active he'll be bound to make more mistakes, but the overall effect of being pro-active will save many more goals than it will cost, even if the errors are more noticeable.

we would all like the best possible player for SUFC and I would rather not have the prospect of having to watch Mildenhall being "bound to make more mistakes"

Not a legend no, but definitely up there amongst my own personal all time favourites. A dedicated professional who always recognised the affection in which the majority of our fans held him, and acknowledged it. Flavs was outstanding in our two promotion seasons, particularly the championship winning side, and for much of the Championship one. He saved us far more often than he cost us, of that I've no doubt, and he cost us individually very rarely. When we leaked goals it was down to shoddy defending all round.

I felt all along that the contract offer was an insult, and have no problem with him seeking security elsewhere. I wish him all the best at Palace, and hope he can challenge seriously for the no. 1 shirt.

Yes, keepers come and go, dread to think how many I've seen in the years I've supported the Blues - I think Derek Bellotti was the first, might be wrong, also seem to remember Malcolm Webster but not where he fits in! Big Merv is the best that I know of, but Darryl's right up there just behind Sammy at no. 2 for me.

we would all like the best possible player for SUFC and I would rather not have the prospect of having to watch Mildenhall being "bound to make more mistakes"

This is what I feared. A conservative keeper stays rooted to his line, only touches the ball (other than picking the ball out of the back of the net a couple of times each game) and people say he doesn't make any mistakes.

A good keeper comes for crosses, keeps more clean sheets but every so often will make a Petr Cech type handling error and everyone will think he is a worse keeper than a keeper who doesn't make as visible mistakes by just picking the ball out of the back of the net.

I think Tilson likes the kick out to wideman - (Bentley, Foran)

Exactly, maybe the kicks will now give the targetman a chance of winning it, rather than going straight out for a throw on.

They weren't when a quality CB (prior, Sodje) was bossing it -

I was talking about direct free-kicks and how every direct free-kick on target went in, although you have a point, and hopefully Mildenhall will help improve our defending for set-pieces.

This is what I feared. A conservative keeper stays rooted to his line, only touches the ball (other than picking the ball out of the back of the net a couple of times each game) and people say he doesn't make any mistakes.

A good keeper comes for crosses, keeps more clean sheets but every so often will make a Petr Cech type handling error and everyone will think he is a worse keeper than a keeper who doesn't make as visible mistakes by just picking the ball out of the back of the net.

Totally agree with that, I'd add that he pulls off one flashy save that anyone else would have just caught, and elevation to god status is almost guaranteed.

Much rather have a keeper who will get stuck in but makes the odd error, nothing worse that seeing balls flying across the 6-yard box behind the defenders and the keeper standing there.........

thank you for your efforts darryl, best of luck in the future

southend has lost one of its nice guys
oh to sing one more time "darryl, do you hate col u..."

Good keeper and a good servant but times change. Not sure what to think of Milldenhall as not seen him but dont feel a major sense of loss.

I cant help but think all the people that are so gutted about Darryls departure will miss him more as a bloke than as a player as I think if you look at him he is a fantastic shot stopper but time and time again gets undone by being too small.

I also cant believe anyone in there right mind is sadder to see Darryl go than the genius that was Mark Gower.....

Good keeper and a good servant but times change. Not sure what to think of Milldenhall as not seen him but dont feel a major sense of loss.

I cant help but think all the people that are so gutted about Darryls departure will miss him more as a bloke than as a player as I think if you look at him he is a fantastic shot stopper but time and time again gets undone by being too small.

I also cant believe anyone in there right mind is sadder to see Darryl go than the genius that was Mark Gower.....

Pretty much what I feel on this especially the last comment about Gower being missed more than Flavs and I suspect even then that Gower may only have a couple of years left in him - though would have preferred he spent them with us.
Likewise I think Bailey would be a far greater loss than Clarke. No doubting that latter's big heart but nearly every time I've seen him play he seems to give away a goal or a penalty.

Wiggy, in all seriousness, do you think he's better than he was 2 seasons ago ?

No, i thought he had a poor year last year and 7 good ones prior to that, well good enough for Southend United this year!

Their other GK at the time, Paul Cooper was only 5'10 as well IIRC.

Thing is though, I think if there were internet message boards around in the late 70s/early 80s, I bet Ipswich fans would have moaned about their diminutive keepers too! ;)

Cheers, but as I said, I'm NOT Scottish!

Hey Rich are you Scottish?

agree with the initial post..

certainly going to miss the chants of "daryll.. do you hate col u?"

:(

but, can't keep 'em forever I guess..

thanks, daryll!

southend legend in my (less expereienced fair enough) books!

I think we need to take a moment here to say thanks and remember one of Southend's greats.

Will miss shouting chants at him about Colchester and watching him go mental on the pitch about the scum. The time he booted the Colchester goal post was great for anyone that remembers it!

He is going to be greatly missed at Roots Hall and if Mildenhall isn't up to scratch then I think we will really see just how much he meant to us. Won't forget the amount of time he saved our ar*es in certain games and his shot stopping abilities were sometimes breathtaking. Keeping out some of Ronaldos thunderbolts are ones that I won't forget in a hurry.

Thanks for the memories Darryl you are a Southend legend and you will be missed sorely by everyone - especially by the ladies who just loved to look at you.

So your say that Darryl is a Southend legend coz he punches and kicks the air when we sing do you hate col ewe?

Does that make Allen a Southend legend coz he kicked the chairs Leeds when we scored?:) :)

Your saying that Darryl is a Southend legend coz he good looking?

Does that make Barry a Southend Fan Legend as he good looking?:) :)

I for one aint that bothered he has left, think its a season too late really but hey, i was a massive fan of Collis when he played and think he only lost his place to Darryl due to him being a so called big name at RH,

alot of people are writing this Mildenhall off before they have seen him, from what i know and seen i think he will do a job for us and a good one at that, and with the height he shouldnt be beaten across his goal

the real Question is tho, what is a legend and how do you become one?

Back