• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Darryl - Southend legend

Southend_Lady

Ginger Sam
I think we need to take a moment here to say thanks and remember one of Southend's greats.

Will miss shouting chants at him about Colchester and watching him go mental on the pitch about the scum. The time he booted the Colchester goal post was great for anyone that remembers it!

He is going to be greatly missed at Roots Hall and if Mildenhall isn't up to scratch then I think we will really see just how much he meant to us. Won't forget the amount of time he saved our ar*es in certain games and his shot stopping abilities were sometimes breathtaking. Keeping out some of Ronaldos thunderbolts are ones that I won't forget in a hurry.

Thanks for the memories Darryl you are a Southend legend and you will be missed sorely by everyone - especially by the ladies who just loved to look at you.

I think we need to take a moment here to say thanks and remember one of Southend's greats.

Will miss shouting chants at him about Colchester and watching him go mental on the pitch about the scum. The time he booted the Colchester goal post was great for anyone that remembers it!

He is going to be greatly missed at Roots Hall and if Mildenhall isn't up to scratch then I think we will really see just how much he meant to us. Won't forget the amount of time he saved our ar*es in certain games and his shot stopping abilities were sometimes breathtaking. Keeping out some of Ronaldos thunderbolts are ones that I won't forget in a hurry.

Thanks for the memories Darryl you are a Southend legend and you will be missed sorely by everyone - especially by the ladies who just loved to look at you.

Agree with all the above and reading Darryls comments in todays echo as confirmed to me that we have (as a club) handled this one badly. No excuses really, how on earth they thought that he only warranted a 1 year deal is totally perplexing, seeing as the new keeper got a three deal and is 2 years older .He as been probably our most consistant player over the last 5 years and I like to think that loyalty counts for something, obviously not!

The season we were in the Championship Darryl was outstanding.

I know we went down and he let in a lot of goals but some of the saves he made were incredible.

Hope he does well at Palace.

Good luck to him, he pulled off some great saves for us over the years and has been a great player for the club.

I know we will miss him but to be honest im not upset, I think at time he did have a few problems and Collis could easily have covered him, but we buggered up there letting him go!!

If im honest I think the Darryl and Colchester thing was out of line, ok fairly funny once but everygame isn't good and gives kids the wrong ideas, especially in the Country we live in at the moment.

Anyway, all the best DF!

And what games did he cost us then, because I cannot remember many if hardly any!

neither can i!!!!
i think some people just cant help but moan! thats pretty much all there good for!

Darryl you will be missed!
your an all time great thanks for the memories and good luck for the future you deserve to do well!!!

One of the few goalkeepers on the planet that has the ability to get the crowd going mental with a save.

Darryl's my favourite Southend player of all time and he'll be more missed than a lot of people think.

Agree with all the above and reading Darryls comments in todays echo as confirmed to me that we have (as a club) handled this one badly. No excuses really, how on earth they thought that he only warranted a 1 year deal is totally perplexing, seeing as the new keeper got a three deal and is 2 years older .He as been probably our most consistant player over the last 5 years and I like to think that loyalty counts for something, obviously not!

Yep I agree here. I am quite ashamed this season gone with the handling of Maher and Darryl. Don't get me wrong I understand that the management have to think about the future of the club and its refreshing to see that. However, we should be recognising the greats of this club and the ones that have served us well in their prime.

I don't think I can remember many times when Darryl was a main factor in letting us down. Despite his lack of height I think he is an amazing goalkeeper and think that it is sad we only offered one of our most consistent players a one year deal when the new keeper who is 2 years older has been offered 2 years.

That's football life though and I don't doubt for one second that he will be missed by lots. Like I said before, if Mildenhill doesn't turn out to be reliable or consistent I think we will all realise just how important Darryl was.

And what games did he cost us then, because I cannot remember many if hardly any!

Last season:

Brighton
Orient
Millwall
Northampton
Port Vale
Doncaster

top of the head maybe, probably more.

Better Southend goalkeepers in my time:

Freeman, Cawston, Sansome, Royce. Also probably Rafter and Webster. All this legend stuff is nonsense.

Last season:

Brighton
Orient
Millwall
Northampton
Port Vale
Doncaster

top of the head maybe, probably more.

Better Southend goalkeepers in my time:

Freeman, Cawston, Sansome, Royce. Also probably Rafter and Webster. All this legend stuff is nonsense.
Really. I must have attended the wrong roots all last season as the majority of goals that we conceeded were down to dodgy defending not darryl. In a years time, when mildenhall as had a season under his belt, I will post about how many clangers he as made and lets compare the two. The thing is EVERY keeper over a season makes mistakes and anyone who does not understand this is stupid.

Really. I must have attended the wrong roots all last season as the majority of goals that we conceeded were down to dodgy defending not darryl. In a years time, when mildenhall as had a season under his belt, I will post about how many clangers he as made and lets compare the two. The thing is EVERY keeper over a season makes mistakes and anyone who does not understand this is stupid.

Exactly, you could post on every players mistakes. We all know that our defending has come under massive scrutiny the last couple seasons so it would be wildly unfair to put much of this blame on Darryl. Think it is a big loss loosing him, still feel he couldve done a job for a couple years with Mildenhill having some healthy competition.

Happy for Darryl though, as I read in the article in the Echo his kid starts school soon and it must be nice for his family to have some sort of stability. Good luck to him and I will be wishing him well at Palace.

Cost us big time lots of times. Frankly, outstayed his welcome by a couple of seasons.

sorry mate but you're a real numpty. I suggest you support Real Madrid if you want to watch perfect football. Darryl has saved us from more defeats than the reverse.

Well done Flavs. At least some of us know a decent footballer when we see them. In my top 4 goalkeepers since I've been watching Blues.

His first 5/6 years were great, but after the United game he has gone down hill in my opinion. He got seriously found out in the Championship and that continued into last season. However, I do of course wish such a good servant every success in picking up his pay packet each week at Palace, as lets face it he is not going to play

Yeah Flavs will be missed, was a great Goalkeeper and had alot of time for the fans....But we must move on now and support our new keeper Mildenhall, who i'm sure will give his best.

No doubt about it, what a great player he was. He was unfortunate sometimes which was down to his height. However what keepers keep out Ronaldo's rockets all game?

Good luck Darryl!

I thought Darryl was an excellent keeper,but there was always a problem him being on the short side for a keeper, that did get us into trouble in some games. To be honest if he had been over six foot,i think he would have been playing in the prem, and not for us anyway.

Goodbye and Good Luck to Darryl Flahaven at Crystal Palace. He has been a fine servant to the Blues and no doubt saved us countless times and a top guy. Like all players he had his weaknesses - commanding his area & claiming crosses mainly. His shot stopping was excellent and I'll never forget the performance he put in v Man Utd.

Is he a legend? I'm not sure. I still rate him third behind Sansome & Royce in my time watching the Blues. Just how many legends can one club have?

I wish everyone would stop acting like he's the only keeper to have ever made a save, and indeed won us points. He's won us games and cost us games too, like every single goalkeeper out there does, it's their job.

I was heartbroken when Sansome left, as at that point he was the only keeper I'd seen play for us "how can he be replaced" i thought, but along came Roycey, then again along came Flavs. So i won't cry and nash my teeth because it's football and soon enough we'll have another hero to cheer.

Whether Mildenhall is that man only time will tell but good luck to him.

Thanks for the memories Darryl, good luck in all your future endeavours.

Back