• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
I saw some horrendous examples of bad driving on BBC this morning courtesy of footage from dash cams. I must admit I hadn't given the need for one too much thought, but then again there have been occasions recently when a dash cam may have been very useful in the RHB car. I now know that some insurers will offer discount if you drive with a dash cam as well.

So, who's got one, are they worth it and are there any recommendations of what one to get?

I've been thinking about getting one for a while, I do quite a lot of driving and seem some shocking stuff. I use my phone as a satnav so one that's integrated as an app would be good, but don't think that's possible.

Yep I have got one only a cheap one from Tesco it was reduced to £25 (plus extra cost for SD card) not great quality but it does the job and has come in handy once already. There are some really decent quality ones but of course you pay extra. I wanted a small one as I hate obstructing the windscreen and have it mounted in bottom corner, (cant believe some people have Sat Navs/phones/dash cams at eye level on front windscreen drivers side).
Mine is set up on a loop so it records 3 minute clips then overwrites after about 30 clips. You can of course at any time lock a particular clip. It also apparently will auto lock that clip if triggered by an accident not sure how severe that has to be though.

I'm only going to use it for accident footage I doubt I would send an example of really bad driving to the Police, I cant imagine being like that biker who reports loads of people to the police every day.

The only problem with an insurance discount is that you then have to make sure you have it recording for every journey. I have been looking at some online insurance quotes recently for my sons car and cant see any offering dash cam discounts anyway.

I have one in my taxi which was set up by my insurance company. It is locked so only the police and insurance company can have access to it. If I could download some of the stuff I have seen I would be a millionaire from the you tube clips

I always stick the GoPro on the bike when I go out mountain biking.

You would not believe how many people have thrown bottles and cans at me from moving vehicles or have swerved aggressively towards me because they were slightly delayed at junctions and roundabouts. Pedestrians have thrown punches and dogs off the lead are a constant menace.

Also enables post postmortems of stacks as well.

[video=youtube;gi20DQ8RBUk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi20DQ8RBUk[/video]

I have one in my taxi which was set up by my insurance company. It is locked so only the police and insurance company can have access to it. If I could download some of the stuff I have seen I would be a millionaire from the you tube clips

Buy one you can access and use that!

The only problem with an insurance discount is that you then have to make sure you have it recording for every journey. I have been looking at some online insurance quotes recently for my sons car and cant see any offering dash cam discounts anyway.

Since posting I came across this via Google. Scroll down the article and there is mention of Insurance Companies that offer discount.

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/gadget/best-dash-cams-for-2017-3647105/

I always stick the GoPro on the bike when I go out mountain biking.

You would not believe how many people have thrown bottles and cans at me from moving vehicles or have swerved aggressively towards me because they were slightly delayed at junctions and roundabouts. Pedestrians have thrown punches and dogs off the lead are a constant menace.

Also enables post postmortems of stacks as well.

[video=youtube;gi20DQ8RBUk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi20DQ8RBUk[/video]

Bloody cyclists! :smile:

MTB FAIL? Did you go to Hadleigh when it was at Boots and Laces?

Since posting I came across this via Google. Scroll down the article and there is mention of Insurance Companies that offer discount.

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/gadget/best-dash-cams-for-2017-3647105/
. I think I got a novatec 96660
i used this guys website when i bought 2 of these for my kids cars.i got the old version of the novatec 96660. cost about£55 and goes behind rear view mirror, took 15 mins to run cable around windscreen and into fuse box (fiesta) looks so much better than a sucker on windscreen and cable to cigarette lighter, and means it is always on when the ignition is on. i wanted to be able to independently view the footage if they had an accident

Back