• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Dave of The Match's SUFC vs Crewe Preview!

Sorry Scott/Matt for doing your "thing" but I've got an hour to kill....

Southend United vs Crewe Alexander

17/02/09
Roots Hall
7:45pm Kick Off

As the last meeting was called off due to snow and a frozen pitch, Southend now take on Crewe tonight in an evening match, the best of their kind.
The Last Meeting
How they lined up
Crewe: Collis, Woodards, Jones, O'Donnell, Baudet, O'Connor, Zola, Grant, Moore, Pope, Bailey.
Subs: Elding, Abbey, Carrington, Miller, Donaldson.
Southend: Joyce, Francis, Clarke, Barrett, Harding, Betsy, Sawyer, Christophe, Walker, Barnard, Freedman.
Subs: Sankofa, Grant, Scannell, Robson-Kanu, Revell.

Score line

Crewe 3
O'Connor, Pope, Zola
Southend 4
Freedman, Baudet (Own goal), Freedman, Grant

Ian Joyce made his first league debut for Southend, despite letting in 3 goals Southend still won.
Freedman scored a couple, and thankfully Crewe scored an own goal to let Southend steal the points.

This Time Around

Dan/Dave's predicted starting XI

Southend:Mildenhall, Sankofa, Dervite, Clarke, Barrett, Betsy, Francois-Christophe, McCormack, Moussa, Robinson, Freedman
Subs: Joyce, Francis, Scannell, Barnard, Laurent,
Crewe: Ruddy, Woodards, Jones, Grant, Baudet, Pope, Miller, Donaldson, Lawrence, Broomes
Subs: Collis, Abbey, Carrington, Zola, Moore

Line up analyse

SUFC
In my opinion, Betsy will replace Francis because of his winning goal on Saturday vs Tranmere. The rest of the team will stay the same.

Crewe
Welcome back Steve Collis to Roots Hall, our former shot-stopper made several appearances last season, his first against Crewe. However, Steve will be on the bench today as he has been for half the season due to his shocking form.

Dan Dave's ones to watch

SUFC

Theo Robinson will be hoping to net a few goals tonight, as he has mentioned in The Echo.
Kevin Betsy will be keen to impress again after his super-sub vs Tranmere

Crewe

None. They're all rubbish

Prediction

Southend 3
Freedman, Betsy, Betsy
Crewe 1
Zola

And that concludes it! All I have to say is vote Dan for mod and enjoy tonights match! Come on you blues! ;)

I agree Betsy will start but not just because of his goal and I can't see him scoring 2 today. Good work though

Nice wook. I'd say 2-0 Robinson and Macca scoring. Doubt Betsy will score 1, let alone 2, but he may get an assist.

Sorry Scott/Matt for doing your "thing" but I've got an hour to kill....

Southend United vs Crewe Alexander

17/02/09
Roots Hall
7:45pm Kick Off

As the last meeting was called off due to snow and a frozen pitch, Southend now take on Crewe tonight in an evening match, the best of their kind.

The Last Meeting
How they lined up

Crewe: Collis, Woodards, Jones, O'Donnell, Baudet, O'Connor, Zola, Grant, Moore, Pope, Bailey.

Subs: Elding, Abbey, Carrington, Miller, Donaldson.

Southend: Joyce, Francis, Clarke, Barrett, Harding, Betsy, Sawyer, Christophe, Walker, Barnard, Freedman.

Subs: Sankofa, Grant, Scannell, Robson-Kanu, Revell.​

Score line

Crewe 3

O'Connor, Pope, Zola

Southend 4

Freedman, Baudet (Own goal), Freedman, Grant​

Ian Joyce made his first league debut for Southend, despite letting in 3 goals Southend still won.

Freedman scored a couple, and thankfully Crewe scored an own goal to let Southend steal the points.​

This Time Around

Dan/Dave's predicted starting XI

Southend:Mildenhall, Sankofa, Dervite, Clarke, Barrett, Betsy, Francois-Christophe, McCormack, Moussa, Robinson, Freedman​

Subs: Joyce, Francis, Scannell, Barnard, Laurent,

Crewe: Ruddy, Woodards, Jones, Grant, Baudet, Pope, Miller, Donaldson, Lawrence, Broomes

Subs: Collis, Abbey, Carrington, Zola, Moore​

Line up analyse

SUFC

In my opinion, Betsy will replace Francis because of his winning goal on Saturday vs Tranmere. The rest of the team will stay the same.​

Crewe

Welcome back Steve Collis to Roots Hall, our former shot-stopper made several appearances last season, his first against Crewe. However, Steve will be on the bench today as he has been for half the season due to his shocking form.

Dan Dave's ones to watch

SUFC

Theo Robinson will be hoping to net a few goals tonight, as he has mentioned in The Echo.

Kevin Betsy will be keen to impress again after his super-sub vs Tranmere​

Crewe

None. They're all rubbish

Prediction

Southend 3

Freedman, Betsy, Betsy

Crewe 1

Zola

And that concludes it! All I have to say is vote Dan for mod and enjoy tonights match! Come on you blues! ;)​

i never thought id say this but bring back ricey

Some stats regarding Crewe......

On their travels, they have only taken 5 points out of a possible 45 so far this season, winning 1 and drawing 2.

Tom Pope has bagged 7 league goals so far, with Calvin Zola and Shaun Miller both netting 4.

They have failed to score in 10 matches so far this season.

When conceding first, which they have done 21 times this season, they have managed to come back and pick up two victories.

They have been level at half time on 11 occasions, and have only gone on to win 1 and draw two.

If Cheltenham weren't in this division (and I don't know how they still are) Crewe would be the worst by far, instead of being second worst by far, they have been awful this season, only 6 wins, 1 away.

Last edited:
If Cheltenham weren't in this division (and I don't know how they still are) Crewe would be the worst by far, they have been awful this season, only 6 wins, 1 away.

The fact that Cheltenham are bottom and Crewe are second bottom tells that story :unsure: lol

A rather unhappy stat regarding Southend....

Our opponents have scored first on 12 occasions, and we have managed to come back and draw 2. That's it. No wins.

Sorry Dave, just can't see Betsy getting a place back in the starting line up ahead of Franno and Sankofa. More of the same from Saturday for me, with a bit more in the shots on target department - a comfortable 3-1 win, Macca, Dougie and Clarkey.

Interesting if you look at our comparative form over the last 8 league games though:

Team Pld W D L F A Form

SUFC 8 3 1 4 6 10 WWlLdllW
CAFC 8 3 1 4 12 17 lWllWwLd

Not quite as much a foregone conclusion as some might think - especially as they've scored twice as many goals as us over the last 8 league games!

However given that some of our poor results were at a time when we struggled to put a side out, I am hoping that the most recent results are more indicative and that home advantage will also play its part.

I predict a 13-2 Southend victory, with Crewe 2-0 up at half-time. In an inspired tactical move, Freedman is replaced by Betsy at half-time and spends the second half covered in a tartan blanket and sipping from a Thermos full of a Bovril/Teachers cocktail. Much to everyone's amazement, Betsy takes Mildenhall's place between the sticks and the lanky custodian ambles forward to join Robinson in attack. He nets seven goals in a scintillating fifteen minute spell before leaving the field complaining of a sore hamstring and a strained libido. Joyce takes his place and completes the scoring with three headers and three penalties. His final spot kick is hit with such power that it breaks the net and causes structural damage to the lower tier of the South Stand. All in all, a fairly uneventful match.

Sorry Dave, just can't see Betsy getting a place back in the starting line up ahead of Franno and Sankofa. More of the same from Saturday for me, with a bit more in the shots on target department - a comfortable 3-1 win, Macca, Dougie and Clarkey.

correct tilly surely wont change a winning team unless forced to,same team for the 3rd time running when was the last time we done that?

Have to agree with that. One of the reasons we scored first was Franno not giving up against their left back (who was one of the worst I have ever seen).

Back