• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I haven't posted in ages, but I'm a little bit bored at work so I thought I'd give it a go.

I've been thinking about the season that is drawing to a closes this Sunday, I wonder if anybody feels that we have missed Dave Penney? I always got the impression that he was a good sounding board for Brown and was well respected by the players. The teams frailties from set pieces and corners have been well documented, I can't help but think his experience would have come in handy.

I agree with that and said he would be a key loss at the time and that he was very influential in the background and vociferous on match days

We shall see what happens on Saturday but it is all but sure that Doncaster are going down to Division 4 ........ and I wonder what the future of Ferguson will be.

Perhaps Penney might want to get back into the hot seat there?

I agree with that and said he would be a key loss at the time and that he was very influential in the background and vociferous on match days

The only problem was, unfortunately it continued on the night out:winking:

Not at all. I heard a lot of stuff after he went about him not being that well liked.

I can't believe you posted this thread, I was going to post a similar thing. My dad and I was talking about this exact thing. We were shocked that no one had mentioned this as a possible reason for our slump and our inability to get out of it. I honestly feel that when going through our real bad patch we really needed an 'arm around the shoulder' type person. He was said to be rather good at that. He was a link between manager and player.

He communicated and responded well to fans too, particularly at away games.

In addition to this, he is also an attacking coach. This season we have only had Brown and Coughlan, both defenders, coaching the players. It has seemed so apparent this season that the attacking play has needed a lot of work and that work hasnt appeared to be done. After all, who's there to do it?

People talk about player recruitment this summer and rightly so. However an attacking coach is also needed on the training ground for next season if we are to prevail.

P.S I am aware that Mr Horton was brought in but is anyone seriously going to convince me he has done a meaningful job?

You don't have to be well liked to be good at your job.

You have to be extremely well liked if you want to keep that job, after you have been arrested for criminal damage and assaulting a police officer on the firms night out.

You have to be extremely well liked if you want to keep that job, after you have been arrested for criminal damage and assaulting a police officer on the firms night out.

to keep your job I agree. But, to be good it doesn't matter.

to keep your job I agree. But, to be good it doesn't matter.

In most careers I agree. But with professional teams, like football, you at least have to be respected. That also applies to other areas like the Army, Fire Brigade or Police.

Slightly off topic but just got me thinking whats happened to Donny? New Stadium, plenty of investment, few seasons in the Championship recently, all the things we dream about. I suppose it proves again these things are no guarantee of success, much as Leicester have proved you can succeed without the resources of your bigger competitors. Its a funny old game..

I can't believe you posted this thread, I was going to post a similar thing. My dad and I was talking about this exact thing. We were shocked that no one had mentioned this as a possible reason for our slump and our inability to get out of it. I honestly feel that when going through our real bad patch we really needed an 'arm around the shoulder' type person. He was said to be rather good at that. He was a link between manager and player.

In addition to this, he is also an attacking coach. This season we have only had Brown and Coughlan, both defenders, coaching the players. It has seemed so apparent this season that the attacking play has needed a lot of work and that work hasnt appeared to be done. After all, who's there to do it?

People talk about player recruitment this summer and rightly so. However an attacking coach is also needed on the training ground for next season if we are to prevail.

P.S I am aware that Mr Horton was brought in but is anyone seriously going to convince me he has done a meaningful job?

Horton can hold his own in The Roslin, that goes a long way.

The problem with Mr Horton is that none of us know what the **** he does, let alone whether it is meaningful.

The problem with Mr Horton is that none of us know what the **** he does, let alone whether it is meaningful.
Horton has always been known as Brian Who in Manchester since his time at City.
He is a pleasant chap as am I but what does he do?
Does he get paid?
What does he earn?
Who pays him?
Is he on a contract with us?
Who does he report to?
What hours does he work?
Does he have an office?
:sad:

Horton has always been known as Brian Who in Manchester since his time at City.
He is a pleasant chap as am I but what does he do?
Does he get paid?
What does he earn?
Who pays him?
Is he on a contract with us?
Who does he report to?
What hours does he work?
Does he have an office?
:sad:

The thing is Spoons, I don't have a clue what you do either. Therefore apart from being a pleasant chap you and Brian Who are complete mysteries to me.:winking:

The thing is Spoons, I don't have a clue what you do either. Therefore apart from being a pleasant chap you and Brian Who are complete mysteries to me.:winking:
Southend United is my only concern and simply wondering what Who does for us. If he adds value, great, if not, do one and get someone in to get us playing attractive football and get us going up rather than down.

In most careers I agree. But with professional teams, like football, you at least have to be respected. That also applies to other areas like the Army, Fire Brigade or Police.

I agree with you.

Slightly off topic but just got me thinking whats happened to Donny? New Stadium, plenty of investment, few seasons in the Championship recently, all the things we dream about. I suppose it proves again these things are no guarantee of success, much as Leicester have proved you can succeed without the resources of your bigger competitors. Its a funny old game..

Agreed, i though they looked a good side when they tonked us 3-0 at home, puzzling.....

Indeed, Leicester City's achievements have provided hope ........

..... hope for Thai billionaires everywhere.

Indeed, Leicester City's achievements have provided hope ........

..... hope for Thai billionaires everywhere.

Well, look no further than Accrington Stanley who are climbing the league ladder with 2 shoestrings and some sticky back plastic.

Back