• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

David Beckham retires

David Beckham - England legend?

• Total voters
He's no spring chicken, richer than Croesus so no surprise.

Truly worth of the tag "legend".

Surprised a bit, thought after signing for PSG he would want another season somewhere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22558393

I think you either retire on your own terms, or you retire when you can't contribute to football any more. He could definitely do a job for a lower PL team or be a super-sub somewhere for another year or two because he's in shape, however it probably isn't worth the full-time work that it brings, especially as he has other interests. I also guess that lower football doesn't really appeal to players who've played all their life at the top.

Two of my my three favourite non-SUFC players ever retiring the same week (Scholes as well). Football will never be the same again!

I think it's also fitting that he should finish his career against his home town club:

He has two more games to go before the end of the season, concluding on 26 May at Lorient.

was at ipswich,a few years ago,saw england v croatia..when the players coach got to the ground,all the little kids cheered & waved at the players on the coach. all the players & erikson either looked away or looked out of the window motionless.the only player to wave &smile back was beckham..all the kids cheered.just a little thing made the kids happy, good on him:smile:

was at ipswich,a few years ago,saw england v croatia..when the players coach got to the ground,all the little kids cheered & waved at the players on the coach. all the players & erikson either looked away or looked out of the window motionless.the only player to wave &smile back was beckham..all the kids cheered.just a little thing made the kids happy, good on him:smile:
Classic Beckham though, the word "legend" is made for footballers like him, ones who have made that leap from schoolboy to the international arena with grace and panache. World class player who never forgot where he'd come from, such a shame to have that blight from the 1998 World Cup on his CV though. Wore the England captain's armband with pride and passion, and an absolute joy to watch on that world wide stage.

I know it will never happen , but wouldnt you just love him to play in a Southend shirt even just for a season, imagine both Beckham and Davids in the midfield (,mouth watering ),imagine the packed stadiums throughout league 2 when Southend,Beckham and Davids played.:Worthy:

represented his country 115 times , captained it and took them to the world cup finals when the rest of the team played so bad,YES!!! he is an England legend and deserving of it.:Worthy:

Alternatively you could say he was the best of a mediocre bunch. World Class? Crossing and free kicks definitely. The rest is over-rated Beckham mania caught up in the same vein as Henmania due to exceptional marketing. Legends are winners or those, like Best, who shone when others around were not in the same class. Midfield of 96 vs midfield of Beckhams era? I know which I'd choose. Gascoigne is a legend and could do things in a game that Beckham could only dream of.

As an ambassador for the game I applaud him. Rightly proud to wear the England shirt and this was a man who made enemies in France 98. I was there that day too. Took it on the chin and came back strong. Sadly we have a history of putting very good players on massive pedestals. If we ever stopped doing that we might once again win a Euro or WC.

Is he an England legend?

I guess if we limit that to players who have won something* with England then we'll be stuck with the starting XI from 1966. which would mean the likes of Peter Shilton, Tom Finney, Jimmy Greaves, Gary Lineker, Stuart Pearce, Nat Lofthouse, etc would also be ineligible.

As it is, Beckham did win 115 caps (albeit rather too many as something of a token sub, although on the plus side, many were as captain) and was responsible (good and bad!) for many of the defining moments of the England team during the late 90s and 2000s.

Until seeing it again yesterday for the first times in ages, I'd forgotten how bloody beautiful that free-kick against Colombia in France '98 was (even if he did celebrate it like a smug ****).

I've always been someone who admires rather than loves Beckham, but in terms of his England career, I think the epithet of legend is merited.

*Of note. We played well in the Tournoi de France back in 1997, but I'm not really sure that counts

Coulda cried when I saw this. Been a hero since I was a kid. What a loss to football he will be.

Back