• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

migraineboy

Youth Team
First of all, I thought we played half-decent today and were a tad unlucky. However, am surprised to see the headline "we need a striker..." on the club's website when David Mooney - a PROVEN goalscorer at this level - was left on the bench today. When PB made his last throw of the dice, he opted for Pigott rather than Mooney. Wondering why Mooney appears to have completely fallen out of favour after 4 games?

First of all, I thought we played half-decent today and were a tad unlucky. However, am surprised to see the headline "we need a striker..." on the club's website when David Mooney - a PROVEN goalscorer at this level - was left on the bench today. When PB made his last throw of the dice, he opted for Pigott rather than Mooney. Wondering why Mooney appears to have completely fallen out of favour after 4 games?

Don't think he's fallen completely out of favour, he started on Wednesday.

Think Brown ideally wants Hunt and A.N. Other to play up front as a front two, but likes the 4-5-1 system away from home, particularly with Hunt lacking fitness and without the ideal striker to partner him, and seems to prefer Mooney as the lone striker.

My man tells me that Phil Brown didn't play Mooney because he felt he looked tired in training, after running after lost causes on Wednesday. So he's given him a very short break.

Mooney ran his socks off at Doncaster so doubt he was fully recovered for today's game. Browns tactics must be soul destroying for the one front player. Mooney would do well with Hunt but our midfield needs to be winning the ball and holding it to take pressure off back four. Brown insists on our defence being strong which is obviously a must but our attacking play is not clever enough and we do not have a clinical striker. Pigott is probably our best but has a lot to learn yet. We are shaping as a team but need wins or the confidence will go.
Weston is an impact player. Hurst has not progressed as he promised in early games. Probably need to sell Bentley to free up cash for striker.

Last edited:
He can't play on his own up front it just does not suit him and that's the only way brown is going to play him
it s another Barry corr scenario

Look, this club is a graveyard for strikers, im surprised any front player wants to come anywhere near our club.

He can't play on his own up front it just does not suit him and that's the only way brown is going to play him
it s another Barry corr scenario

Problem is whilst Corr wouldnt score as many on his own he could still play the role. Still won the ball and held it up well, Mooney isnt that sort of player.

Why say thats the only way he will play him? We played 20 odd games with 2 strikers last season, theres every possibilty he will play 2 again.

My question would be why the hell were 75% of our summer signings upfront if PB only intends to play one upfront at home.

Scoring goals is not a strong point of PB tactics. Of course he wants to score, but we win games mainly by the odd goal. He aims to keep it tight and scrape a 1-0 or 2-1. Today we were unfortunate, the keeper made two or three stunning saves and we missed some very good chances. My concern here is that we struggled last season to score, yet the same problems are there again. Diff is that you will get punished at the other end by league 1 teams far more than in league 2.

we do not have a clinical striker. Pigott is probably our best

I'd argue we probably do have a fairly clinical striker, we're forgetting Mooney grabbed more than 20 goals at this level in 2013/14 playing in a pair with a willing runner alongside him (at Orient it was Lisbie, here it could and should be Hunt). What Mooney isn't going to do is score goals regularly as a lone frontman, maybe some are now realising what a great job BBBC did just to get the goals that he did with these tactics. I'm not slagging off Brown, it wouldn't be credible to criticise him as he did a brilliant job last season. The fact is though we have stepped up a level and need to score goals to do well in L1 as our defensive errors will be more severely punished in this league. Hunt looks a very clever player, great in the air for his height and a real nuisance up front as he never gives defenders a moments peace. Personally I think he's the ideal partner for Mooney who I believe should be above Pigott in the pecking order. Mooney is proven at this level (unlike Pigott at this stage) and will know Hunt's game well from Reading. The problem with Mooney is that he's a box man - and he is clearly having to come deep just to get the ball when he has no-one alongside him. Played in a two he wouldn't have to drop off, Hunt can play that role allowing Mooney to get into dangerous areas. Hopefully Brown will realise sooner or later that two up top is the way forward, with Mooney and Hunt given a fair crack of the whip as a pairing. We do need pace at both ends though and hopefully Brown will be addressing that quickly.

The main problem with Mooney, in my eyes, is that he lacks fitness. He looks slow and ponderous whereas Hunt looks sharp and is winning headers and pressuring all over. Mooney looks disinterested. This may be due to the poor service and quality of crosses. It could also be down to the fact the team is still gelling and this takes time. We have had chances to win all our games and the only time I have been worried was in the first half against Walsall when we were overrun and outclassed. We need to stick together and persevere as the team is solid and I think we just need a quality young centre back. We also need to look at the shape,of the team as it appears in large portions of games that we get overrun in midfield. STAY POSITIVE.

Brown does not have a great record for bringing in forwards to the club who score goals. Last year his upfront new 3 strikers brought in were Barnard, Weston and Coulthirst. In Goalscoring terms they proved a disaster. This year we have Mooney , Hunt and Pigott yet to score. We have scored once in 4 games and are equal bottom in that respect with only Doncaster scoring one. 5 clubs have already scored 9 or more times compared to our paltry ability to hit the net. It will be interesting to see how we cope with Armstrong of Coventry who has scored 5 times already.
We created enough opportunities to score 4 against Swindon but that ability in the final third to take the right action , or that final bit of quality remains missing.there are signs though hopefully it will come, we improved as the season went on last year and no doubt will do so again.

For me, we lack a creative midfielder. If Mooney and Hunt had missed chance after chance, then the answer would be "Buy a striker". but that hasn't been the case. On top of that, the midfield won't score a dozen between them. remember Gower/Bailey/McCormack? They'd get 8+ each.

At the moment we have the overall goal power of a one-legged care bear with a hangover.

Brown does not have a great record for bringing in forwards to the club who score goals. Last year his upfront new 3 strikers brought in were Barnard, Weston and Coulthirst. In Goalscoring terms they proved a disaster. This year we have Mooney , Hunt and Pigott yet to score. We have scored once in 4 games and are equal bottom in that respect with only Doncaster scoring one. 5 clubs have already scored 9 or more times compared to our paltry ability to hit the net. It will be interesting to see how we cope with Armstrong of Coventry who has scored 5 times already.
We created enough opportunities to score 4 against Swindon but that ability in the final third to take the right action , or that final bit of quality remains missing.there are signs though hopefully it will come, we improved as the season went on last year and no doubt will do so again.

You forgot the worst one of all.... Pigott without his goal at Wembley we would be where history and finances says we should be L2. We could all be enjoying ourselves beating Hartlepool etc.

Back