• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Are we actively looking to shop him now?

Obviously Barnett has come in and usurped him, Hunt would be second in line and now we've signed Loza as well he can't have much of a future at Roots Hall.

If we are, is anyone interested in taking his salary off our books?

I expect we're going to end up eating a load of it, even if they do.

I presume the phrase "shop him" means "sell him" in plain, non-back streets boyz cool lingo, innit?

I'm not aware of Mooney being for sale but if he is I am sure that Johny Stokes will be hoping he goes back to Brisbane Road sharpish, me old matey. Yodel. Give me six. End of.

No I don't think PB has any intention to get rid- we have good competition up front for places but 3 'target' men- Barnett, Hunt & Mooney- one gets injured then you only have the one on the bench to bring on for the last 20 or for injury. Two injured then no cover.

The point with the squad now is that in the run in we can have players injured/not in form with replacements as just as good- and competition for places to combat any slacking and to keep players fresh.

No I don't think PB has any intention to get rid- we have good competition up front for places but 3 'target' men- Barnett, Hunt & Mooney- one gets injured then you only have the one on the bench to bring on for the last 20 or for injury. Two injured then no cover.

The point with the squad now is that in the run in we can have players injured/not in form with replacements as just as good- and competition for places to combat any slacking and to keep players fresh.

No! Mooney is NOT a target man-Brown has repeatedly played him on his own up front,where he has been disappointing.He is a clinical marksman eg the two excellent finishes at Col U but lost some confidence when expected to play all on his own.He looked very dangerous playing behind Hunt and everything suggests it would be the same with Barnett.He is more than likely to get 20+ goals for another club in this division,if we let him go.

I also wouldnt think PB would be thinking about shipping him out, I know he splits opinion amongst us all (as did Pigott) but he is our leading goalscorer so far this season (as was Pigott), however if it was the case that he did leave, I only hope the new boys that have came in so far, deliver the goals in their place, or Shrimpermoan will go into overdrive, think of all those repetitive Barry Corr threads we sat through. :nope:

I am struggling to think of a player (contacted/signed) who has been such a disappointment as Mooney has been; Besente Gomez?
kentblues uses the phrase "target" men which is wrong in this guys case; Jack wins more headers.

Sell or release asap.

He's a striker that will always be better alongside other strikers. On his own up front he's absolutely useless. We don't play to his strengths. Not his fault really.

No! Mooney is NOT a target man-Brown has repeatedly played him on his own up front,where he has been disappointing.He is a clinical marksman eg the two excellent finishes at Col U but lost some confidence when expected to play all on his own.He looked very dangerous playing behind Hunt and everything suggests it would be the same with Barnett.He is more than likely to get 20+ goals for another club in this division,if we let him go.

Didnt White the get the other one?

K

The offside goal wasnt that shabby tho...

If you got goals for being offside then Mooney would be a global megastar.
I have seen Mooney shoot, and he can do it; that is partly the frustration with him.
When Hunt chases a ball down, the GK for example, then Hunt has intent to get the ball, block it or make for a mis-kick ; with Mooney it is a token effort that slows and finishes before he gets anywhere near & then he will slow walk back but be offside still for any regain of possession by us.
When PB subbed him after 30 minutes early on in the season I hoped the penny had dropped and he would really work BUT my impression is that he is just going through the motions, just doing enough, almost.

Mooney will not score 20 goals for anyone unless he's taking penalties, I do wonder if we even had a proper look at him before we offered him a 2 year deal, has not done the business.

Mooney will not score 20 goals for anyone unless he's taking penalties, I do wonder if we even had a proper look at him before we offered him a 2 year deal, has not done the business.

Except for Orient in League One in the 2013/2014 season when he scored 21... :facepalm:

As TSNB said above, we don't play to his strengths. Most of our strikers have struggled up top in a 4-5-1 so unfair to single him out. Had he started up front with Payne in Brown's new 5-3-2 wing back formation rather than Barnett, he may have been fruitful in front of goal.

Except for Orient in League One in the 2013/2014 season when he scored 21... :facepalm:

As TSNB said above, we don't play to his strengths. Most of our strikers have struggled up top in a 4-5-1 so unfair to single him out. Had he started up front with Payne in Brown's new 5-3-2 wing back formation rather than Barnett, he may have been fruitful in front of goal.

And the season after not so good, so they released him. And we get him a season later.
Tomlin, Pope, Richards, just a quick 3 names that I can think of who WERE 20 goal in a season, once, a few seasons ago, AND I don't want any of them at The Hall, for us on the " premise" that they are worthy No 9 s still.

I don't rate mooney. How he scored so many in a season before I don't know. He can't even finish his dinner this season.

If he were allowed to leave for another to come in in wouldn't shed any tears.

And the season after not so good, so they released him. And we get him a season later.
Tomlin, Pope, Richards, just a quick 3 names that I can think of who WERE 20 goal in a season, once, a few seasons ago, AND I don't want any of them at The Hall, for us on the " premise" that they are worthy No 9 s still.

Not strictly true. Scored 9 in a side that was relegated from League One and at the end of his contract, opted to join us and stay in League One rather than drop down a league with Orient.

He didn't come to us a bad player. Brown doesn't have a great record with strikers and unfortunately, Mooney has become another statistic.

Mooney was at Orient on Tuesday night, with his family. Probably innocent reasons though.

Back