• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Would it really set the right example to the rest of the squad if Worrall was regularly turning up either hungover or still drunk and he was playing ahead of those that were conducting themselves in a professional manner?
I don't know if and when Worrall is said to have been drinking but what I do know is that when he was on the pitch,he offered much,much more than others whom Brown always seemed to prefer e.g.Atkinson !

I could tell you a story about Paul Byrne outside Churchills.
i could tell you a few also, he was so out of it most of the time my mate used to drive his car home for him after taking the keys away from him week in week out, the amount of times we used to pick him up off the floor in Churchills was unreal, nice bloke tho:thumbsup:

Would it really set the right example to the rest of the squad if Worrall was regularly turning up either hungover or still drunk and he was playing ahead of those that were conducting themselves in a professional manner?

Suspect that many of the problems relate back to losing his child last year, seems to me that until then he was the consummate professional and following his loss the wheels started to fall off. Makes you wonder - what support and help was he offered and did he really get? Apart from a week or so off the poor guy was back at work, and away from his family.

If the drinking rumours are true, and drink wasn't a problem previously, then it doesn't take a genius to work out that there is likely to be a link, and maybe he should have been given some time off to grieve properly, and get some help. Perhaps a genuinely compassionate environment was exactly what David was needing last season, and it wasn't available to him (not the same as people being genuinely sorry for his loss at the time), and drink had become a way of coping? This is all Speculation of course, but I get the feeling that PB is of the 'real men don't cry' brigade, which isn't always helpful.

either way, I wish David all the best of luck in the future, he was a good servant to us and he will be a massive loss. I think Neil Harris will get the best from him, and much as I wish him well, I really hope he doesn't play against us!

No-one knows really the facts and frankly criticising the club, manager or player is out of order. We don't know the background and for me unless we have proof rather the speculation I assume he played when appropriate and if he wasn't playing there was a reason.

I wish him all the best and maybe a change of scenery is best for him. In footballing terms he is replaceable and I mean no disrespect to a player who always gave 100%

Always gave is all on the pitch and helped us gain promotion which always deserves respect although I think he is replaceable.

Quite damning Phil ;

David Worrall reckons his Millwall move rubbishes the reasons given by Southend boss Phil Brown for his Roots Hall exit.
The Manchester-born winger was the first incoming deal at The Den this summer when he signed a two-year deal that starts on July 1.
And Worrall has revealed his decision to leave the Shrimpers was partly down to the comments of Brown.
“My mind was probably made up by the gaffer’s comments,” he said. “He came out and said it looks like I’m homesick. I never told him I was homesick - not once.
“It has sort of come back to beat him when Millwall came in. I just couldn’t turn it down. The reputation of the club suits me.
“At the end of the season I was weighing things up. I was worried because I was out of contract and was not hearing anything from Southend. I got my agent out there working for me because technically after July I would not be listed as a professional footballer. I could be doing anything.”
Worrall was one of Southend’s star men last season but that didn’t mean that the relationship with Brown was a smooth one.
“I felt he was into his mind games with players,” said the former Bury youngster. “Sometimes it worked and sometimes it would have the opposite effect. I don’t think there were any answers when it came to why I wasn’t in the team at times.
“I never got a real reason. I’d like to think someone would have the respect to tell me why. I didn’t feel I got those answers from him. But, on the other hand, I couldn’t moan when I was playing. He did get the best out of me.
“He was weird. I couldn’t put my finger on it. We would go through a spell of having a laugh and then a month where we didn’t look at each other or speak. I wouldn’t know if I was coming or going with him.”
Worrall is in no doubt he will have a better rapport with Millwall boss Neil Harris.
“I spoke to Adam Barrett at Southend,” said Worrall. “He is mates with Neil and only said good things about him. Michael Timlin is a big Millwall fan who was there too and he said everything about the club is massive.
“And even teams who wanted me didn’t have a bad word about Neil. The first thing they said was that he was a great person.”
The Manchester United fan could have gone back to his northern roots.
“I could’ve easily moved back to where my family and friends were - five minutes from Bury - and lived at home,” said Worrall. “It would have been a set base - being comfortable - but I’m not that type of person.

“Playing against Millwall last season at The Den, our manager was saying ‘don’t let the fans get to you’. Southend isn’t a derby - it’s just over the water - I got a stick when I was taking corners or throw ins. But I like that.
“I think it’s the way I’ve been brought up in Manchester. I lived on a council estate in Droylsden - you get all the shouting from kids and parents screaming. All that noise.
“Southend were great fans but it was probably totally the other end of the spectrum. You could hear one person there while at The Den it was loads...thousands.”
Worrall played the full 90 minutes as Southend won 2-0 in mid-September. He lasted only until half-time in a 4-0 reverse in December.
“We did really well when we went to The Den,” he recalled. “It was a tough game, but enjoyable. In the return game we got a bit of spanking, that was not so good. Before that we didn’t really see Millwall in the league.
“When they came and did that to us it was when people said ‘these will go now - they’ll kick right on’. Which they did.
“If they had got a couple more wins at the start of the season, when they didn’t start too well, it could’ve been automatic promotion. They were probably just two wins off that. I don’t think much needs changing.”
Worrall’s description of himself makes him sound like the type of
player who will fit right in at Millwall. Harris has been ultra careful to make sure that a high work ethic and the right attitude are key requirements to playing under him.
“I’d say I’m a nasty little beep,” he said. “I do like getting stuck in - getting up for it and putting tackles in.
“People say wingers don’t really tackle. But for my size [5ft 7ins] I’m very good in the air.
“Teams I have been at have used that because the opposition don’t realise I’m alright in the air. I try to use that to my advantage. Three or four of my goals a season are back post headers or assists where I have headed the ball back across.
“I just like to be direct. To take people on and cross it. It is pretty simple. I’m not one to do a lot of stepovers - just kick it and run!”
Worrall signed for West Bromwich Albion in 2007 but was unable to break into Tony Mowbray’s side, who went on to win promotion to the top flight.
“It was good to be around that,” said the Lions new boy. “I always told myself I would like to have one season in the Championship - just to see if I can do it.
“The teams that were in for me, there was no bigger team - or opportunity to get there - than Millwall.”

Sounds like sour grapes to me to be honest, and good in the air?? didnt think he was that good in the air to be honest. Yes had good work rate when he could be bothered, but when he couldn't be bothered he was awful and wouldn't know he was in the pitch at times.

To me your relationship with the manager should be kept behind closed doors and not put up for everyone else to read and see, poor in opinion.

Good player on his day, but his head was gone after Jan and i do think the rumours were true about his partying and i think that had a big effect on his game.

Good luck to the lad, he is a good player when he gets his head down and concentrate on his football. Would have liked him to have stayed, but at the same time, i don't want players here who are not fully committed to the club and prepared to give sweat blood and tears.

The problem is, he isn't the only player that Brown has fallen out with. There must be something going on.

Sounds like sour grapes to me to be honest, and good in the air?? didnt think he was that good in the air to be honest. Yes had good work rate when he could be bothered, but when he couldn't be bothered he was awful and wouldn't know he was in the pitch at times.

To me your relationship with the manager should be kept behind closed doors and not put up for everyone else to read and see, poor in opinion.

Good player on his day, but his head was gone after Jan and i do think the rumours were true about his partying and i think that had a big effect on his game.

Good luck to the lad, he is a good player when he gets his head down and concentrate on his football. Would have liked him to have stayed, but at the same time, i don't want players here who are not fully committed to the club and prepared to give sweat blood and tears.

Given his size I would say he was quite good in the air. However, he also admits PB got the best out of him when he played.

There are a few in the current squad with the same opinion......amazing how everyone who leaves say 'they heard nothing from Southend about contract talks'......they cant all be lying.....whats going on when it come to renewing our better players contracts.. Phil needs to answer that!!

Prosser, Bolger, Deegan, Worrall. There's a common denominator here!

Indeed ..almost... three players aren't good enough and we didn't want, the other we diid made numerous offers to but apparently his agent forgot to pass it on. I think there is much the club could say about one or two things, and they have been talked about here. I think PB mentioning that DW wanted to be somewhere else (based on his agent rejecting offers) is mild and not overly disrespectful. DW has had his whinge and I expect the club to remain professional and ignore the comments rather than engaging.

The Victors and Victorias will of course find it all proof positive of all sort of imaged 'realities'. Actually the number of players and ex-players having a pop at PB is pretty insignificant compared with some other managers. If you disagree who are the other players and where are the damning quotes and where published. And no my secret source was told on the golf course does not count..

There are a few in the current squad with the same opinion......amazing how everyone who leaves say 'they heard nothing from Southend about contract talks'......they cant all be lying.....whats going on when it come to renewing our better players contracts.. Phil needs to answer that!!

SK already answered on Worrall- perhaps who would like to phone him up and tell him you don't think he is telling the truth?? Its not just PB, SK and others are involved too. Out of the club, the player and the agent I know who I would suspect of being less than truthful, manipulative and driven by self-interest..

Indeed ..almost... three players aren't good enough and we didn't want, the other we diid made numerous offers to but apparently his agent forgot to pass it on. I think there is much the club could say about one or two things, and they have been talked about here. I think PB mentioning that DW wanted to be somewhere else (based on his agent rejecting offers) is mild and not overly disrespectful. DW has had his whinge and I expect the club to remain professional and ignore the comments rather than engaging.

The Victors and Victorias will of course find it all proof positive of all sort of imaged 'realities'. Actually the number of players and ex-players having a pop at PB is pretty insignificant compared with some other managers. If you disagree who are the other players and where are the damning quotes and where published. And no my secret source was told on the golf course does not count..

Regardless if they were good enough or not. I do think either way the other 3 were getting released at the end of the season regardless but the fact is they all fell out with the manager and it isn't good enough

Regardless if they were good enough or not. I do think either way the other 3 were getting released at the end of the season regardless but the fact is they all fell out with the manager and it isn't good enough

Why isn't it? Its football and it happens, regularly and at other clubs too. I don't want him to be everyone's best friend- I do want the club to be successful. If that means falling out with players who can't cut it and upsetting them by not picking them or not guaranteeing them a place so be it.

Why isn't it? Its football and it happens, regularly and at other clubs too. I don't want him to be everyone's best friend- I do want the club to be successful. If that means falling out with players who can't cut it and upsetting them by not picking them or not guaranteeing them a place so be it.

When I spoke to [namedrop]Ian Benjamin[\namedrop] about Webby, he told me he ruled with an iron fist, wasn't anyone's friend and the players respected rather than liked him.

I always thought Worrall was good in the air for quite a little guy, very springy.

As to reasons why he wasn't in the side, well, alcohol definitely played a part on at least one occasion.

Back