• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Davis Cup Final

Uncle Leo

This cook is an anti-semite
Elements of GB's run have been covered in the Wimbledon thread but now Andy Murray is on the verge of almost single handedly winning the competition, I guess it deserves its own one.

Apologies for those who won't read The Daily Mail, but Martin Samuel does a good job here of summing up why Murray is so brilliant and why David Lloyd is a bit of a prat.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/te...s-winner-s-want-Davis-Cup-final-pub-quiz.html

Can't disagree it's been the Andy Murray show, but it is a team game - remember James Ward beat Isner when we played the USA - I think that result was crucial and we wouldn't be in the final.

Can't disagree it's been the Andy Murray show, but it is a team game - remember James Ward beat Isner when we played the USA - I think that result was crucial and we wouldn't be in the final.

Hence why I said *almost*. Ward definitely deserves credit for that win but Murray really is THE man.

The reference to Murray's ultra competitiveness backs up a story a mate of mine told me about his days as a junior tennis player for GB. They were playing Monopoly while on an an away trip and, when the game wasn't going his way, Murray just tipped the board up and stormed off!

However, he is now one of the world's top players, while Paul occasionally turns out for Leicestershire and works at Ladbrokes so I guess Murray had the last laugh.

Hence why I said *almost*. Ward definitely deserves credit for that win but Murray really is THE man.

The reference to Murray's ultra competitiveness backs up a story a mate of mine told me about his days as a junior tennis player for GB. They were playing Monopoly while on an an away trip and, when the game wasn't going his way, Murray just tipped the board up and stormed off!

However, he is now one of the world's top players, while Paul occasionally turns out for Leicestershire and works at Ladbrokes so I guess Murray had the last laugh.

His drive is truly amazing - guess you need it if you want to be one of the greatest ever players. Lets hope he gets his just rewards over the weekend (hopefully by Saturday afternoon :smile:)

Don't also forget that Ward credited Murray with the tactical input that helped him win that match...

Break down in the fifth. It's going to be tough now. The only good thing may be that he's taken him to 5 sets with only a day to recover before he plays Murray.

Blown it big style:unsure:

He's 20, 100 in the world, playing against the world number 16. He's done far better than anyone expected.

"Blown it" is a bit of an exaggeration: he should never have been in this position.

He's 20, 100 in the world, playing against the world number 16. He's done far better than anyone expected.

"Blown it" is a bit of an exaggeration: he should never have been in this position.
played well for two and half sets, surprised they played him instead of ward tho, experience for him as well.

played well for two and half sets, surprised they played him instead of ward tho, experience for him as well.

He's higher ranked, and better on clay. It makes sense, but it also makes sense to keep Ward just in case we need him, which we probably won't, but who knows.

Just been drawn to my attention that Edmund is from South Africa originally. Him winning three games in the final three sets makes a lot more sense now.

Back