• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Davy Jones "The Monkees" Dies

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
Blimey I did not see this one coming, Davy Jones of The Monkees dies at the age of 66 from a heart attack this morning. Very sad News for those that remember his early days.:sad:

R.I.P

I love The Monkees, their greatest hits is in my collection

A favourite ...

[video=youtube;VUUSdvwEC_Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUUSdvwEC_Y[/video]

Ah, damn shame. I often sing this to my little girl. RIP Davy...

[video=youtube;3nmxmJ3Fp0k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nmxmJ3Fp0k&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;sUzs5dlLrm0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUzs5dlLrm0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Very sad news, grew up listening to the Monkees and watching their programme which, as dwb says above, was truly innovative for its day. Daydream Believer is, and I think always will be, one of my top 5 favourite tracks of all time.

I guess though, if you're going to go, then a heart attack in your sleep, in your own bed is probably pretty much how a lot of people would choose....certainly rather than the circuses of the deaths of some celebrities recently. Sweet dreams Davy, RIP.

I actually feel gutted now, such a big part of my early years... a very sad loss and he was such a lovely bloke to. :(

My wife told me that Davy Jones had died. I thought she was joking........then I saw her face.

The Monkees were much maligned as manufactured pop, but I remember seeing a clip with Frank zappa playing a car and Tim Buckley performing Song to the Siren on the show.

To add to that Jimmy Hendrix once opened for them on stage as the warm up act.

To add to that Jimmy Hendrix once opened for them on stage as the warm up act.

who is this Jimmy? Jimi did indeed open, but it was a bit ill-conceived. Only lasted a few gigs. Monkees wanted respect, Jimi wanted more fame in US (he was only really famous in the UK at this stage). The teenage girly audience were there for the Monkees, not Jimi.

The promoter had a brainwave that the daughters of the revolution wanted him out, and he left.

who is this Jimmy? Jimi did indeed open, but it was a bit ill-conceived. Only lasted a few gigs. Monkees wanted respect, Jimi wanted more fame in US (he was only really famous in the UK at this stage). The teenage girly audience were there for the Monkees, not Jimi.

The promoter had a brainwave that the daughters of the revolution wanted him out, and he left.

Yeah and your point is..:winking:..Bowie whose real name is as you know David Jones changed his name because of Davy Jones...Next :)

I am not sure if they are in the hall of fame yet but they should be IMO.

Statement from Michael Nesmith.

Michael Nesmith
All the lovely people. Where do they all come from? So many lovely and heartfelt messages of condolence and sympathy, I don’t know what to say, except my sincere thank you to all. I share and appreciate your feelings. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. While it is jarring, and sometimes seems unjust, or strange, this transition we call dying and death is a constant in the mortal experience that we know almost nothing about. I am of the mind that it is a transition and I carry with me a certainty of the continuity of existence. While I don’t exactly know what happens in these times, there is an ongoing sense of life that reaches in my mind out far beyond the near horizons of mortality and into the reaches of infinity. That David has stepped beyond my view causes me the sadness that it does many of you. I will miss him, but I won’t abandon him to mortality. I will think of him as existing within the animating life that insures existence. I will think of him and his family with that gentle regard in spite of all the contrary appearances on the mortal plane. David’s spirit and soul live well in my heart, among all the lovely people, who remember with me the good times, and the healing times, that were created for so many, including us. I have fond memories. I wish him safe travels.

Jeez, that's not good to wake up to. Not only was the Monkees on TV a part of my life growing but, much like the Beach Boys and Fleetwood Mac their music grew on me and now sticks unlike 99% of the crap today which I'm sure won't be getting the regular airtime in 40 years plus. Cheers Davy.

Been reminded of this one this morning, it's one where Mickey has the lead vocals but still a Monkees' classic....
[video=youtube;ZpXcSN_6K-4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpXcSN_6K-4[/video]

The Monkees were much maligned as manufactured pop, but I remember seeing a clip with Frank zappa playing a car and Tim Buckley performing Song to the Siren on the show.

That really is unfair. The Monkees was a TV programme where four actors played the part of a pop group. The music was really incidental. The fact that it was brilliant was almost a shame because the pop group (i.e. the four actors) made almost no money from the music. They were paid actors. The rights to all the music was (and still is, I believe) owned by the TV company.

What makes it even more tragic is that the band didn't even own the rights to their name. When they toured in the 90's I think it was the TV company refused to allow them to use the name. They had to call themselves The Monkeys instead.

I lost my copy of their greatest hits. I think I might have to replace it.

Back