• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

McNasty

The sign is up outside and likely buyers of pubs please note the Spread's lease is up for sale.

For an outlay of £35,000 you can become the new landlords of the once thriving Southend United fans' pub in Victoria Avenue right near Roots Hall.

Punch Taverns are selling the lease which can only mean the previous owners ( and employers of the current landlord ) have no desire to continue running the place.

It must be the fault of SUFC as with relegation beer sales have plummeted 45% in the last 1-2 years. (Punch's officially released figures ) ----- It couldn't possibly be the landlord's fault , could it ?

I was told by the current company's area manger that without football they would have left the pub years ago.

Anyone feel brave enough to invest as a former bar person might be interest in a job !

I'd imagine the real question would be "how much of a gambler are you?", or more pertinently, "How much do you trust Ron?"

If Southend relocate, I'd have thought this would be the death knell for this pub. If Southend stay at Roots (as a few people seem to think) then this could be a bargain.

Think I'll stick to running garden centres this time

I'd imagine the real question would be "how much of a gambler are you?", or more pertinently, "How much do you trust Ron?"

If Southend relocate, I'd have thought this would be the death knell for this pub. If Southend stay at Roots (as a few people seem to think) then this could be a bargain.

Think I'll stick to running garden centres this time

Don't forget that in addition to Sainsbury's store there are plans to build several hundred houses and flats on the site. That might produce considerable trade if the right landlord was put in place.

But with your one on one skills you would be a great landlord,southend is crying out for a leftwing pub,and i dont drink or like pubs so that rules me out but you should buy it Ken.

I reckon there's room for a decent real ale pub in Southend, concentrating on the more discerning drinkers.

Pub leases however tend to be some of the most one-sided, unfairly weighted agreements you are likely to ever encounter.

Nail on head; if/when the Blues move then trade is likely to take a big hit. At the moment it gets trade on the basis of being a home fans pub close to the ground the Railway gets trade on the basis of being opposite Prittlewell station and thus on the way to the ground to all those coming by train. When the move comes to FF the Railway will still get its trade from those coming by train, assuming large numbers don't change to the Airport station, however for a large number of fans they will have to make a decision to go away from the ground to the Spread. The decision then comes down as to whether the Spread is enough of an attraction to keep its punters. Personally I like an old fashioned pub, but then I am one of the older ones now!, but will others. I think Punch are getting out while the Spread still has some trade and before it goes the way of the Golden Lion and before it declines as far as the Blue Boar and the Nelson.

Nail on head; if/when the Blues move then trade is likely to take a big hit. At the moment it gets trade on the basis of being a home fans pub close to the ground the Railway gets trade on the basis of being opposite Prittlewell station and thus on the way to the ground to all those coming by train. When the move comes to FF the Railway will still get its trade from those coming by train, assuming large numbers don't change to the Airport station, however for a large number of fans they will have to make a decision to go away from the ground to the Spread. The decision then comes down as to whether the Spread is enough of an attraction to keep its punters. Personally I like an old fashioned pub, but then I am one of the older ones now!, but will others. I think Punch are getting out while the Spread still has some trade and before it goes the way of the Golden Lion and before it declines as far as the Blue Boar and the Nelson.

Just to clarify, Punch own the premises --- they are selling the lease ( the business ) whilst retaining ownership ( freehold ) of the pub. You will still need to buy the beer from Punch whilst paying all the bills and overheads.

Just to clarify, Punch own the premises --- they are selling the lease ( the business ) whilst retaining ownership ( freehold ) of the pub. You will still need to buy the beer from Punch whilst paying all the bills and overheads.

Anyone taking over the pub under those terms and paying anywhere near the amount quoted, has got to be crazy.

I reckon there's room for a decent real ale pub in Southend, concentrating on the more discerning drinkers.

Pub leases however tend to be some of the most one-sided, unfairly weighted agreements you are likely to ever encounter.

Punch arnt intrested in that sadly , I think they own the Victory in Ashingdon and want to turn that into a sports bar WTF ?!?

Punch arnt intrested in that sadly , I think they own the Victory in Ashingdon and want to turn that into a sports bar WTF ?!?

Sadly there's probably only money enticing 18yr olds into drinking chemicals passing as alcohol.

The trick is to supply for a demand. Southend is seriously lacking a Real Ale pub as Yorkshire Blue pointed out but is there the demand for one? Also The Spread is not in a particular good spot for a pub that would be used on a regular basis unless you could bring in punters with something they want. The pub itself has huge potential due to the sheer size of it but I suspect the currant landlord just can't be bothered to apply himself.

Down in Exeter, the local Hells Angels clubbed together and brought an ailing pub called The Prince Albert. They changed the name to The Roadhouse, ponced it up, got music leicences and promoted the place properly. It turned into a little goldmine for them. I have heard that they resently lost their leicence and the place closed down but that was mainly due to infighting rather than poor management.

My point is that with proper management and promotion The Spread could have potential but I would expect some serious negotiations with Punch Taverns over their terms and conditions. It would need more than a couple of quid spent on it but I think it could shine again.

The trick is to supply for a demand. Southend is seriously lacking a Real Ale pub as Yorkshire Blue pointed out but is there the demand for one? Also The Spread is not in a particular good spot for a pub that would be used on a regular basis unless you could bring in punters with something they want. The pub itself has huge potential due to the sheer size of it but I suspect the currant landlord just can't be bothered to apply himself.

Down in Exeter, the local Hells Angels clubbed together and brought an ailing pub called The Prince Albert. They changed the name to The Roadhouse, ponced it up, got music leicences and promoted the place properly. It turned into a little goldmine for them. I have heard that they resently lost their leicence and the place closed down but that was mainly due to infighting rather than poor management.

My point is that with proper management and promotion The Spread could have potential but I would expect some serious negotiations with Punch Taverns over their terms and conditions. It would need more than a couple of quid spent on it but I think it could shine again.

I really do think there would be demand for a good real ale pub. I can think of several examples across the country of new real ale pubs that have sprung up in places where there were plenty of pubs already around, but these places are thriving because they offer a quality product.

I know Southend is terrible for real ale, but there's a thriving Real Ale festival at Rochford, an active local CAMRA. It'd require some money to be invested and definitely some time, but like your Hell's Angels example it could work if someone's willing to put the effort in.

Personally, I wouldn't be willing to put the work in on Punch's standard terms as they'll be the ones who benefit from all the hardwork, but it would be worthwhile if someone managed to get hold of the freehold.

I've seen the present landlord.He looks a complete waste of space.Lazy as ****.Don't think I've got the charm to be a landlord,Tony.I'd leave that to you.I'd make a good bouncer though.:punch:

:hilarious:Poacher turned gamekeeper! If you could tempt Leasky back into the trade when he gets fed up with all that lecturing, then I think you could be onto something.

The Spread is no different to thousands of pubs across the country.....When they charge £3 for a pint of cider, when you can buy 3/4 pints of it in any corner shop for the same price,what chance do they have?..

The very reason they are dying is because of "tied" prices and the smoking ban, which the voting public had no choice in. Of course The Spread will suffer, added to that , you cannot park ..it is not the town centre , we are mid table league 2.

The landlord is not a friendly chap by any means....but he is not riding the high tides of our success when both Ken worked there and the team was flying.

Pubs are generally ****ed.

The only one i know of is The Railway Tavern , and thast only becuase it has Hobgoblin on tap . The other thing is a projected image , ill disagree with Cricko about the smoking as to be honest if you have less cash for fags you do have more for booze and food , plus all age groups then can come in in various days . If we recreate Taverns and ale houses , not sprts bars and dull psuedo clubs . Who here dosnt like a nice place to drink and eat during the day ???

Back