• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dearly beloved......

KevinJH

Illudium Q-36 Operator
Just thought I'd throw this out there;

following RM's statement just a couple of days ago, part of it said "Your club will demand commitment from every player and every employee. Whether playing, coaching or managing … working at the Blues needs to be a religion" along with "Commitment starts at the top. Having largely cleared the decks we now have until September to return The Blues culture. ‘Living for the Weekend’ when we can once again support our religion…only on a Saturday! Forgive my Sermon…"

Wouldn't it be refreshing, especially in the current climate where so much change is taking place on each and every level and on such a huge scale, that this opportunity was grasped and acted upon - starting from the top ? With most (?) religions, there is a practice of communication on a regular basis of teaching, advising, informing their followers. There probably has never been a better time than now for our Head Man to practice what he's recently preached and keep the loyal following 'on side' with regular, routine statements. Or sermons if he prefers.

One would like to think that hearing regular items of factual, informative news from the horses mouth - or any club affiliated, able-bodied stablehand - is far more beneficial to the general atmosphere than all the rumour-mongering piffle that tends to come down the grapevine.

I know, it'll probably never happen but what a fabulous chance to start afresh with everyone - everyone - in this congregation reading from the same song sheet.

We, along with a number of clubs, have operated on a prayer. Ron, bless him, is not the Second Coming and will be as affected by the Covid fallout as many other chairman. As for communication it's a bit like a reading from the Bible. Interpretation will vary, the message is not always obvious and all good priests will stand there like they are more ITK than you. Oh and quickly after the collection plate will come round.

To be honest from the outside looking in its so odd that your Chairman gets so little stick from your fans.

A few of your most recent managers, Brown, Bond and Campbell got pelters for various reasons ranging from being a media darling, Harry’s incompetent mate, to a non-communicating womaniser. Even “one-of-your-own” Powell was ultimately pilloried for being technically naive but the man who appointed all 4 largely escapes unchallenged.

Martin sets the budget for manger, set ST prices, appoints staff who’s job it is to sell sponsorship packets and market the club. He appoints the finance director, he sanctions every contract and fee paid/received. He’s responsible for your new stadium plans, he made the decision to constantly delay payment to the taxman resulting in court appearances and press negativity that goes with it. He decided to withhold player salaries selectively at some points and then generally when cash flow dried up. He chose some players to go on furlough and offered different terms to different groups of players. He annoyed PFA and got the club sanctioned and relegated (through ultimately his choice of managers and players recruited/ not recruited)

Yet more the a decade on from talking about stadium he still hasn’t delivered a thing other than an occasional press release when he has to and it somehow broadly satisfies a fan base into applauding a few nicely chosen words and a his seemingly supportive vocal few friends point out that nobody else wants to buy the club or will do a better job and nothing happens. People still just pay and turn up, moan at their least favorite players during the game and then slate the latest manger on social media

from the outside it looks like he is playing the lot of you?!

Last edited:
Just thought I'd throw this out there;

following RM's statement just a couple of days ago, part of it said "Your club will demand commitment from every player and every employee. Whether playing, coaching or managing … working at the Blues needs to be a religion" along with "Commitment starts at the top. Having largely cleared the decks we now have until September to return The Blues culture. ‘Living for the Weekend’ when we can once again support our religion…only on a Saturday! Forgive my Sermon…"

Wouldn't it be refreshing, especially in the current climate where so much change is taking place on each and every level and on such a huge scale, that this opportunity was grasped and acted upon - starting from the top ? With most (?) religions, there is a practice of communication on a regular basis of teaching, advising, informing their followers. There probably has never been a better time than now for our Head Man to practice what he's recently preached and keep the loyal following 'on side' with regular, routine statements. Or sermons if he prefers.

One would like to think that hearing regular items of factual, informative news from the horses mouth - or any club affiliated, able-bodied stablehand - is far more beneficial to the general atmosphere than all the rumour-mongering piffle that tends to come down the grapevine.

I know, it'll probably never happen but what a fabulous chance to start afresh with everyone - everyone - in this congregation reading from the same song sheet.

Is he asking for a tithe?

There are many naive followers of SUFC.Ron Martin has continually mismanaged the club over many years. He transferred the ground and training ground ownership, into Martin Dawn/South Eastern Leisure early in his tenure.That was a wake up call,if ever there was one.The share sale was a farce, to enable him to sweep up the majority of shares not sold in the sale.To charge seven pound per share was scandalous.Mismanagement throughout his twenty odd years.The rental costs, although not taken, but accumulated.His aim from day one was to get planning permission on Roots Hall and then Fossetts farm.Regardless of the Coronavirus,I still feel we will be lucky to survive as a FL club.He only cares about the planning permission, if the club were to do well, thats a bonus.I have never experienced such a downbeat situation in my sixty seven years in following SUFC.

Last edited:
By the way, that includes the tenure of Anton Johnson !!!!!

To be honest from the outside looking in its so odd that your Chairman gets so little stick from your fans.

A few of your most recent managers, Brown, Bond and Campbell got pelters for various reasons ranging from being a media darling, Harry’s incompetent mate, to a non-communicating womaniser. Even “one-of-your-own” Powell was ultimately pilloried for being technically naive but the man who appointed all 4 largely escapes unchallenged.

Martin sets the budget for manger, set ST prices, appoints staff who’s job it is to sell sponsorship packets and market the club. He appoints the finance director, he sanctions every contract and fee paid/received. He’s responsible for your new stadium plans, he made the decision to constantly delay payment to the taxman resulting in court appearances and press negativity that goes with it. He decided to withhold player salaries selectively at some points and then generally when cash flow dried up. He chose some players to go on furlough and offered different terms to different groups of players. He annoyed PFA and got the club sanctioned and relegated (through ultimately his choice of managers and players recruited/ not recruited)

Yet more the a decade on from talking about stadium he still hasn’t delivered a thing other than an occasional press release when he has to and it somehow broadly satisfies a fan base into applauding a few nicely chosen words and a his seemingly supportive vocal few friends point out that nobody else wants to buy the club or will do a better job and nothing happens. People still just pay and turn up, moan at their least favorite players during the game and then slate the latest manger on social media

It seems, looking from the outside in, you have managed to miss the incredible amount of abuse the chairman has endured. No one could say he has made the right call on all occasions and much of what you list may be true but boy has he been let down. He has dug deep so many times to provide a squad the managers ask for and, on too many occasions, has paid over the odds for managers that do not give a reasonable return. A lot of players have also taken the **** out of the chairman, the club and us fans. How anyone believes that Ron has escaped his share of criticism is beyond me. So many go on the PC bus and say players can't be heckled or bullied online and say we must be mindful of mental health issues and yet the chairman can be given all the stick in the world. Too many think FM is realistic and makes them football experts. I for one would not want to have Rons problems to solve or to work in an industry, that appears, to have more than its own fair share of selfish ****s that believe their own hype and only express passion when their pay packet is in danger.

It seems, looking from the outside in, you have managed to miss the incredible amount of abuse the chairman has endured. No one could say he has made the right call on all occasions and much of what you list may be true but boy has he been let down. He has dug deep so many times to provide a squad the managers ask for and, on too many occasions, has paid over the odds for managers that do not give a reasonable return. A lot of players have also taken the **** out of the chairman, the club and us fans. How anyone believes that Ron has escaped his share of criticism is beyond me. So many go on the PC bus and say players can't be heckled or bullied online and say we must be mindful of mental health issues and yet the chairman can be given all the stick in the world. Too many think FM is realistic and makes them football experts. I for one would not want to have Rons problems to solve or to work in an industry, that appears, to have more than its own fair share of selfish ****s that believe their own hype and only express passion when their pay packet is in danger.

Each to their own in interpretations I guess but having been a visitor on this site for many years there is rarely much overtly critical on here about Ron and actually your post shows your faith in him for digging deep, players let him down, giving managers what they asked for etc, largely blaming everything but Ron! A view, of course, you are entitled to but it just puzzling that most voices on here are like yours to be honest.

Each to their own in interpretations I guess but having been a visitor on this site for many years there is rarely much overtly critical on here about Ron and actually your post shows your faith in him for digging deep, players let him down, giving managers what they asked for etc, largely blaming everything but Ron! A view, of course, you are entitled to but it just puzzling that most voices on here are like yours to be honest.
I think a lot of people, currently at least, feel he's the best scenario we have at the moment, and a RM-less Southend probably means ceasing to exist.

I think a lot of people, currently at least, feel he's the best scenario we have at the moment, and a RM-less Southend probably means ceasing to exist.

Until we move stadium and have much more on offer in terms of non match day revenue, we will never find another buyer.

When the stadium comes and Ron finally gets us back in the black and makes some money for himself, he will not contemplate selling.

And I’m sure he is thankful so many people hold that view as it keeps the pathway to his golden pension pot less complicated!

You're jesting, I presume.
The amount of bile directed at RM down the years (including some protesting outside his house) has been dreadful.

One of the best parts of ShrimperZone is the diversity of opinion, including yours. Ron Martin has those that support him, those that detest him and those that try to tread a middle path based on rationality of a situation. Maybe your view from the outside is a little biased as, presumably you have no real love for Southend, but still you visit the site and offer opinion. I'm interested to know whether Robbie Cowling pulls much discussion on the Col U site, and are we allowed to join in?

I guess one of the reasons why Ron isn't as hated is that we have actually had a fair amount of success under him and my personal feeling is that he genuinely wants the club to be a success causing him to overreach financially on several occasions.

Lets also not forget that he created the academy that we are reaping the rewards of, I do agree that his management appointments have been pretty poor overall with the only one that he can claim to be a success being Phil Brown and perhaps Sturrock, lets not forget that Tilson got the job almost by accident so he can't take credit for that one

One of the best parts of ShrimperZone is the diversity of opinion, including yours. Ron Martin has those that support him, those that detest him and those that try to tread a middle path based on rationality of a situation. Maybe your view from the outside is a little biased as, presumably you have no real love for Southend, but still you visit the site and offer opinion. I'm interested to know whether Robbie Cowling pulls much discussion on the Col U site, and are we allowed to join in?

I don’t love Southend but know a few people connected to the club so don’t fall into the kids macho hatred thing and would rather you survive (if not exactly thrive)
As for Cowling, yeah there is a section of support that don’t like him, however id say a minority, but it’s probably diminishing now on the basis of his financial prudence being more appreciated now in these uncertain times.

If this is what you’ve gleaned from reading ShrimperZone over the years, and you find that surprising or puzzling, I think you interpret the detail of specific posts too literally and need to step back a bit.

The lot of the lower league football fan is one of the endless triumph of hope over experience, punctuated by (very) rare moments of glory. Aside from some bits of wood covering an old tip on Victoria Avenue (not covering it very well recently), the club is made up of the fans, players, staff and Ron. Ron makes all the calls - both good and bad - and has presided over some of the best seasons in our history... and the worst. He’s been slated to hell and back on here, and praised to the heavens too occasionally.

In truth, his record is poor but while the club remains there to be supported despite what feel like long odds at times, and while there is no visible alternative owner to Ron, the fans have to channel their hopes through him because the alternative might be no club at all - and that doesn’t bear thinking about, or posting about on ShrimperZone.

Back