• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Decent, Free Firewall

EastStandBlue

Life President
Lately, I've found to be getting a ton of viruses, Trojans and Adware... It seems like every 5 minutes I'm getting an error message saying something has been detected and it's beginning to hack me off.

Is there a decent, free firewall on the interweb that I could download to stop this?

I used to use zonealarm or comodo, but now i just use windows vista firewall and have been advised this by a couple of computer people. i still like zonealarm but it conflicted with another program for me.

Lately, I've found to be getting a ton of viruses, Trojans and Adware... It seems like every 5 minutes I'm getting an error message saying something has been detected and it's beginning to hack me off.

Is there a decent, free firewall on the interweb that I could download to stop this?

I'm a little confused as to what it is you actually require. A firewall, anti virus program, or both?

Firewall:
Zone Alarm free edition is more than adequate for everyday use and can run perfectly ok with the Windows built in firewall, whether that be XP or Vista.

Anti Virus:
There are a number of free programs out there but generally the best of those I have used, and what I believe to be the most popular, is AVG Free Edition which you can pick up from www.download.com.

Alternatively, for a small fee of £19.99, you can download Zone Alarm full edition which comes with an anti virus program bolted on as part of the package.

My advise is to get the free editions of both Zone Alarm and AVG. They are not the most sophisticated of defense programs but for everyday use are more than competent of protecting your system and emails on either PC or laptop.

As a side note. If you are willing to pay money please AVOID Norton Anti Virus, Norton 360 or Norton System Works. All are extremely processor hungry and once on your system are nie on impossible to remove cleanly without manually going into the registry and other system folders and deleting files yourself.

Hope this helps

Just a Firewall I'm after... I'm using Avast as an Anti-Virus which claims to be cleaning everything, but it seems to be just stopping them with new Trojans/Viruses coming in, which I think may be down to my Firewall being shot to pieces.

Just a Firewall I'm after... I'm using Avast as an Anti-Virus which claims to be cleaning everything, but it seems to be just stopping them with new Trojans/Viruses coming in, which I think may be down to my Firewall being shot to pieces.

Try Zone Alarm Free Edition first. Available here http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-pc-security-free-firewall.htm.

It doesn't come with a built in Anti Virus so I suggest also getting AVG Free from here http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10320142.html?tag=mncol

Uninstall Avast first to avoid potential problems and/or conflicts.

I use Avira as an anti-virus, it monitors your PC in real time, so it picks up trojans and malware etc. as they are sent to your machine.

It's free as well, here's the link

Unfortunately most trojans and viruses are distributed by pretending to be something they are not, such a missing codec or some javascript on a compromised site. A Firewall will not really stop this as most will be transferred via the ports you have open to browse the web.

The days of when someone scans PCs to see what ports are open has mainly passed due to most people now having a firewall.

To those who run Windows Firewalls, I would suggest that you do not, this is my field of expertise and have been in Internet Security for 16 years, and you really should not be trusting Windows to protect your machines. Zonealarm (owned by Checkpoint) and Sunbelt are Firewalls I would recommend.

I currently use Avast and Sunbelt Personal Firewall, with a further SPF firewall on my Netgear Router. These seem to be sufficient.

I use a combination of AVG antivirus and Comodo firewall, and have never had virus problems. AVG also does a great job of detecting and removing adware. Comodo has a lot of excellent features for a free piece of software, if perhaps at the expense of a little user-friendliness. If you're not overly tech savvy (i.e. less of a nerd than me) you might want to check out Zonealarm instead.

Funnily enough, Zonealarm seems to have done the job. I haven't had an alert message since I downloaded and have managed to identify the malware by what wants access to the internet that I don't recognise.

Back