• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

decent restuarant in SOS

Rusty Lee

Coach
Can any of you guys help as im taking out the Russian Bride tonight. I know a few places in Southend do deals on their meals on Wednesday night, just cant rememeber any. Any advice or recommendation, she's already been 2 McDs and KFC lookin 2 take her someone a little more up market, curry houses count as upmarket in my book

Cafe in the side street near the Wetherspoons, run by an eastern european family. I had a very cheap fry up in there which skewered my intestinal tract into all sorts of origami, so if thats east european cuisine you can't go wrong really.

Mamma Alfas, or however you spell it, not bad italian.

cheers mate, was thinkin of that new Curry House next 2 the Amina one on Clifftown Road, or that new one east opp the bakers bar, looks very swanky

New place down the front called Room 24 near the Kursal is really nice.

There is a Chinese opposite York Road market which is supposed to be very good (despite the location)

Alvaros, little portugese place off of Hamlet Court Road.

The food and service is second to none, very cosy but a little pricey. Well worth it 10/10

I've been in that Room 24 very nice, bit of a strange area for such a place, I'll consider that, i've heard Alvaros is very nice just a little bit too far from pay day for that tho, still cheers

I always find Tomassi's is nice, maybe a lil pricey for what ur gettin, but swish none the less. I agree with whoeva said mama alfis to, altho that is price IMO. Frankee & Bennys is also a top choice, altho favoured by groups of bitchy girls tho.

Dave

whats peoples views on the best Curry House in Southend, my vote goes to the Shagor on Hamlet Court Rd, would of been the Goulshan a cpl of year ago down Sutton Rd but the food seems a little bland there these days

There is an Indian along the London Road not far from Sainsburys that does two for one on a tuesday and wednesday night.

Not a bad ruby either.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rusty Lee @ Oct. 06 2004,18:09)]whats peoples views on the best Curry House in Southend, my vote goes to the Shagor on Hamlet Court Rd, would of been the Goulshan a cpl of year ago down Sutton Rd but the food seems a little bland there these days
I'm yet to find a curry that rivals the Shagga. Went to the Goulshan a month or so ago and although ****ed up I thought it was pretty crap. And we were the only people in there on a Friday night at about 10.30. Weird!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rusty Lee @ Oct. 06 2004,18:09)]whats peoples views on the best Curry House in Southend, my vote goes to the Shagor on Hamlet Court Rd, would of been the Goulshan a cpl of year ago down Sutton Rd but the food seems a little bland there these days
Gulshan used to be top but I haven't been for a few years.

The Mumtaz Muhal in Benfleet (opposite the Anchor) is fantastic and seems to be packed every night of the week.

The Hasina in Eastwood is also very good.

If your female partner likes 'Chuck Berry' style toilets go to the Indian on Leigh Broadway!

Irmas in Leigh is worth a visit. If you ask nicely they might show you a menu signed by the whole of last seasons squad....

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Oct. 07 2004,09:35)]The Mumtaz Muhal in Benfleet (opposite the Anchor) is fantastic and seems to be packed every night of the week.
Yep that's where I always go in Benfleet for a Ruby. If you're looking for a good take-away in Benfleet then I recommend the Shampan down Manor Road shops they do free delivery on orders over a tenner.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Oct. 07 2004,09:38)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Oct. 07 2004,09:35)]The Mumtaz Muhal in Benfleet (opposite the Anchor) is fantastic and seems to be packed every night of the week.
Yep that's where I always go in Benfleet for a Ruby. If you're looking for a good take-away in Benfleet then I recommend the Shampan down Manor Road shops they do free delivery on orders over a tenner.
I live about a minutes walk away so I never bother with takeaways!

If you want something more traditional the Hoy and Helmet serves decent pub food. Nothing flash but it seems to be a cut above most pubs in the area. I will be taking full advantage of the 'Steak and a starter' deal this evening!

Tandoori Nights on London Road in Leigh (just down the road from The Harry) is top class.

Me and Mrs RM used to live down the road from there in Hadleigh Road and were fairly regular there and still make the trip when we can. We have introduced it to a few SZers over the last year or so and they have been impressed.

If we can't be arsed to drive to Leigh then I agree, The Shagoor is a top curry house.

The new Thai on the London Road in Westcliff is nice too (The Samurai) as is the other Thai down the orad opposite The Plough (can't remember the name).

Anyone able to hazard a guess how I'm becoming a bit of a fat ******* as I head downhill into my thirties?

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Oct. 07 2004,10:44)]Mugal Dinysty (Can't  spell it) along London Road!
Tandoori Nights (as recommended above) is just over the road and offers a much nicer curry (and Sunny Beaches which is a gorgeous Indian beer).

There is a regular SZer who could tell you a thing or two about the consequences of eating in the Mugal Dynasty - however I'll let him spill the beans should he choose to....

Back