• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Decision 'imminent' on new Southend United stadium

While no firm date has been set, Ron Martin, deputy leader of the council said

You've got to laugh at this two bob paper at times.

Ron Woodley is as dodgy as Martin.
Can I just make clear, that this won't have been written by Chris before anyone else starts on about poor journalism.

We don't want to hear imminently.

We want a date and a green late. Its been dragging for years.

Just get it done so we can finally steer the club back to normality, Ron can make his money and then sell.

Do we need a 22,000 seater to welcome Wealdstone FC ? at least we can all be socially distanced from each other, though. Looks to me like Ron's got him to release a statement just to appease us fans
100% agree. Very convenient timing to tell us nothing at all nothing concrete whatsoever just more crap

100% agree. Very convenient timing to tell us nothing at all nothing concrete whatsoever just more crap
We've heard it all before, haven't we ? A huge empty stadium with only 3 sides, which we will have to lease (thanks a bunch !). 850 homes at the stadium and 500 on the land at Roots Hall, and we don't get a penny from them.

I think the word imminently should be removed from the headline - I got all excited until I actually read the article! Positive words - but still awaiting some action.

I think the word imminently should be removed from the headline - I got all excited until I actually read the article! Positive words - but still awaiting some action.

Reading between the lines (which is always dangerous), this is the first time we have heard that the councillors are having a go at the council employees for dragging their feet. Perhaps (for once) the council actually have everything they need but have been unnecessarily slow.

The council had a public pop last week about how long the Seaway project was taking , the developers of that site have also issued a statement today .....
They have to stop these people creating land banks and just sitting on empty spaces waiting for values to go up. There should be a start and completion date set when planning is granted. it is no good just setting a start date as some just clear the land, do the odd bit and just let it sit there. The Old Vienna site is a classic example of this.

They have to stop these people creating land banks and just sitting on empty spaces waiting for values to go up. There should be a start and completion date set when planning is granted. it is no good just setting a start date as some just clear the land, do the odd bit and just let it sit there. The Old Vienna site is a classic example of this.

There is, or at least there is a start date. You have to start building within 5 years or the permission expires. That is what happened with the stadium the 1st time around. The problem is that you only have to have started building, so you could (happy to be corrected) just dig a hole and start your foundations.

There is, or at least there is a start date. You have to start building within 5 years or the permission expires. That is what happened with the stadium the 1st time around. The problem is that you only have to have started building, so you could (happy to be corrected) just dig a hole and start your foundations.
Exactly my point., half demolish something or stick a few footings in and walk away for a few years.

Who knows what will happen. But this development is a partnership between the Council, Homes England, Citizen Housing (Jack Martin) and the club. My guess is that the partners will insist on a clear enforceable contractual timetable so there is no further drift. Time will tell. I'm still on my fitness regime so that I hopefully will live long enough to be at the Kevin Maher testinonial.

Only my opinion, Southend Council please please tell Ron there will be no new stadium at Fossetts farm but you give him planning permission to build as many houses as can be fitted into Fossetts far. Southend United does not need a new stadium.

Back