• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Decision 'imminent' on new Southend United stadium

Only my opinion, Southend Council please please tell Ron there will be no new stadium at Fossetts farm but you give him planning permission to build as many houses as can be fitted into Fossetts far. Southend United does not need a new stadium.
Ron would be delighted with that but where would we play when RH is bulldozed for housing?

We should have moved to Basildon!

I can see the headlines now. Ronaldo returns to the Raquels Arena to help Southend United in their push for another Premiership Title.

little did we know all those years ago with those protests how long this fiasco would go on. How many new grounds have come (and some gone) in the last 30 years?

Only my opinion, Southend Council please please tell Ron there will be no new stadium at Fossetts farm but you give him planning permission to build as many houses as can be fitted into Fossetts far. Southend United does not need a new stadium.
With the kind of money we would need to spend on Roots Hall to get it fully compliant and to the level we should aspire, we might as well build a new one anyway.

Decision imminent. Those are just words.

We need a green light or the club dies IMHO.

It needs to happen and fast. This team and this club under the current management and owner are finished.

It needs to happen and fast. This team and this club under the current management and owner are finished.
I agree. The only thing that's imminent is dissatisfaction from the fans on a weekly basis.

With the kind of money we would need to spend on Roots Hall to get it fully compliant and to the level we should aspire, we might as well build a new one anyway.
Level we should aspire to..or pipe dream ? I think our aspirations have now dramatically changed. Do you think it would be possible to build flats on the surrounding areas (ie part of the car park etc) and convert the West Stand to part flats / part stadium like the South Stand ? or even convert part of the main stand into flats ?

Last edited:

Nothing ever happens fast in a Council, in fact quite the opposite. I know from experience, I've had the unfortunate experience of working in one.

There will never be a new stadium Ron will run the club so far down the houses will get built but stadium won't happen Ron plan is to run us down so far we won't need any ground but he will get his pot of gold rootshall will be no more as flats will be there to our best bet be sharing with other team ?

There will never be a new stadium Ron will run the club so far down the houses will get built but stadium won't happen Ron plan is to run us down so far we won't need any ground but he will get his pot of gold rootshall will be no more as flats will be there to our best bet be sharing with other team ?
This is how I see it too.

Kevin Maher plans ahead in August 2008, aged 32 (article extract from Shrimpers24)
"However, not that anyone needed it, there is extra incentive with Ex-Captain Kev announcing that if the stadium opens when planned his well deserved testimonial will be the first major game there"

At the current rate, it'll probably make a nice 60th birthday treat now!!!

Good point. Can you explain to me why it's taken him 20+ years to do something he could have done as soon as he took over from Vic?

It has only taken him 25 years and 3 promotions to take us to the brink...

Back